SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV International User Forums > SageTV Canada
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Canada SageTV and SageTV Recorder Users from Canada - This forum is for you to post about specific issues using SageTV software in Canada.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Shaw Direct Toronto area users?

Any Sage folk here also a Shaw Direct, Toronto area (or nearby satellite cities) subscriber? I need some assistance with a southern provinces thing. thanks..
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-22-2018, 07:27 AM
Sage User

I'm in Tillsonburg, not too far away. Using sagetv to record from 2 605 boxes to colossus cards. I'm not too computer savy but might be able to help. I typically use the get it working leave it alone approach.

Dave
Old 05-22-2018, 07:37 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbageman View Post
I'm in Tillsonburg, not too far away. Using sagetv to record from 2 605 boxes to colossus cards. I'm not too computer savy but might be able to help. I typically use the get it working leave it alone approach.

Dave
Sounds like my setup. First question, have you moved recently (or not), and did you do your own install, or were Shaw adament to do it for you?

Second question, with two colossus cards: the 605 need individual remote addresses, yes? Like 000, 001, etc. My Colossus card, if I recall, can only send out IR channel change commands to the 000 address. How do you get around that with two Colossus cards?
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 05-22-2018, 08:09 AM
Sage User

I have been a Shaw Direct customer from the days of Starchoice. I did move my dish once when we built an addition to our house. I also did the change to the xku lnb myself. There are lots of dishes and LNB's on KIJIJI, just make sure it is the XKU as people are trying to sell the old quad LNB's as Shaw Direct moves channels to MPEG4. If changing to the XKU you will need to have Shaw Direct change the channel mapping. I can't see Shaw Direct caring if you move to a new location, as long as you are not receiving service at 2 locations under one account.

Shaw Direct has videos on self install on their website under support. It's fairly easy to do.

I use a usb uirt to get around the hauppauge issue of only allowing one card to actively control the emitter. As far as I know you can't have multiple cards with the supplied emitters. There are also HDMI splitters that get around the HDCP issues using HDMI.

Dave
Old 05-22-2018, 08:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
Second question, with two colossus cards: the 605 need individual remote addresses, yes? Like 000, 001, etc. My Colossus card, if I recall, can only send out IR channel change commands to the 000 address. How do you get around that with two Colossus cards?
This doesn't seem like a problem unique to Shaw - any system controlling multiple STBs will require multiple IR control, like the USB-UIRT mentioned by garbageman. The USB-UIRT can control up to three zones and they can all use the same codes, but you may want to "tent" the boxes by putting the emitter over the IR receiver and then covering them up with tape.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:02 AM
Sage User

I use 2 605's and set the remote addresses to 001 and 002. I also set my other receivers in the house to separate remote addresses to avoid interference. I then trained the USB Uirt to the separate remotes to create the 2 remote files and I didn't have to use the emitters.

Dave
Old 05-23-2018, 12:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I use 2 605's and set the remote addresses to 001 and 002. I also set my other receivers in the house to separate remote addresses to avoid interference. I then trained the USB Uirt to the separate remotes to create the 2 remote files and I didn't have to use the emitters.

Dave
Cool. That's the way I'd do it if I added a second Colossus card. I have an extra 605 I could put in the mix, and I have a USB Uirt, but I am apparently too thick to make it work. Regarding that 'move', you didn't change addresses, correct? That's what I was concerned about. I need to change my physical address on record with Shaw, but DON'T want them coming out for an inspection. nudge nudge
Old 05-23-2018, 06:58 PM
Sage User

I would just tell them your new address and that you are taking your dish with you and will install it yourself.
Old 05-23-2018, 10:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I would just tell them your new address and that you are taking your dish with you and will install it yourself.
I plan to make it past-tense: hi, I forgot to tell you I moved last month. here’s the new address. dish is up and running.

Do you know of any brutally easy instructions for USB Uirt?
Old 05-24-2018, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Installing the USB-UIRT is pretty straightforward - I think it may even be in the SageTV manual as it is directly supported by SageTV.
Old 05-24-2018, 09:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
Installing the USB-UIRT is pretty straightforward - I think it may even be in the SageTV manual as it is directly supported by SageTV.
it may be, but for some reason, I couldn't get it to work at all. I'm obviously over-thinking something
Old 05-24-2018, 01:30 PM
Sage User

If I remember correctly I set them up through the configuration wizard in Sagetv. I set up each recording source separately chose my line-up Shawdirect East, chose to use USB UIRT to change channels, had to use the STB remote to train the usb uirt for that lineup. Repeat the process for lineup 2 and STB 2. I also set up schedules direct at the same time.
Old 05-24-2018, 08:02 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
If I remember correctly I set them up through the configuration wizard in Sagetv. I set up each recording source separately chose my line-up Shawdirect East, chose to use USB UIRT to change channels, had to use the STB remote to train the usb uirt for that lineup. Repeat the process for lineup 2 and STB 2. I also set up schedules direct at the same time.
ok, thanks. I’ll try again