SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Clients Development
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Clients Development This forum is for discussions relating to SageTV Open Source Clients Development.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

Miniclient Connectivity

I have been a very long time user of Founcer's app TaSageTV. But my phone upgraded to 5g and now that app does not work and I know it is not supported any more. So I am looking for a new way to be able to do recordings from outside of my home.
So I have done a bunch of reading about this Miniclient and I downloaded it and installed it on my phone. It looks like this will work for me to setup recordings away from home.
The app works fine when I am on my home network, but when I turn off wifi and try to connect thru my phone connection, it will not connect. I seached quite a bit and found some talk about ports 7818 and 31099. I have directed these to my sage server, but still cannot connect. Is there any other ports that need opened to the server or does anyone have more info on connecting thru the internet?
Thanks
Wayne
GIGABYTE B560 HD3 MB | Intel I5 6 core CPU | 500 GB WD SSD system drive | (2) 2TB Western Digital SSD drives pooled | 16 GB DDR ram | UHD 630 on board graphics| Win 10 64 bit | SageTV 9 | (5) Sage HD TV extenders | (1) HDHomeRun quad tuner HD OTA | (1) HDHomeRun Dual tuner HD OTA | (2) 1512 HD-PVR2s recording from 2 Dish Network VIP 211K's with Uirt ir control | MX-700 Home theater remote | 60" LED TV | (4) 32" Lcd TV's
Old 01-06-2019, 10:52 AM
Sage Icon

My ISP blocks all server ports so I cannot remotely access my server. Does yours?
Old 01-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Sage Fanatic

TCP port 31099 is what's needed. Just to verify--are you using your external IP address when trying to connect remotely?
Old 01-07-2019, 05:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
My ISP blocks all server ports so I cannot remotely access my server. Does yours?
Not that I know of, I have other things I connect to on the outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
TCP port 31099 is what's needed. Just to verify--are you using your external IP address when trying to connect remotely?
I am using a dyn service to forward my connection from the outside. I am using the same path I did with the TaSage app.

Wayne
GIGABYTE B560 HD3 MB | Intel I5 6 core CPU | 500 GB WD SSD system drive | (2) 2TB Western Digital SSD drives pooled | 16 GB DDR ram | UHD 630 on board graphics| Win 10 64 bit | SageTV 9 | (5) Sage HD TV extenders | (1) HDHomeRun quad tuner HD OTA | (1) HDHomeRun Dual tuner HD OTA | (2) 1512 HD-PVR2s recording from 2 Dish Network VIP 211K's with Uirt ir control | MX-700 Home theater remote | 60" LED TV | (4) 32" Lcd TV's
Old 01-07-2019, 07:59 AM
SageTVaholic

If you just want to schedule recordings then I would recommend using the SageTV Web UI and forward the port on your router. Normally that uses port 8080 but you can change that in the config screens.
Old 01-08-2019, 07:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
If you just want to schedule recordings then I would recommend using the SageTV Web UI and forward the port on your router. Normally that uses port 8080 but you can change that in the config screens.
Not having very good luck making this work. Would it look something like this: ****-****.****.net http://(server ip):8080/sage/home
the * represents my dyn service
Port 8080 is already open and was used by the other app.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:13 AM
SageTVaholic

In the URL Home is capitalized and this is important so it should be http://(server ip):8080/sage/Home. Obviously you will have to change the port number if you aren't using 8080.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

I found out my problem. My ISP changed my IP address evidently sometime around the time my phone done an update and gave me a message about a 5G update. So my old app is back working.
But now I am curious about the mini client app. So I have reinstalled the miniclient app and it works fine over my local network. but when I turn off my wifi and go thru my phone connection it wants a user and password before it will log me on. The problem I have is that when the logon screen comes up and the keyboard comes up it covers the user and password so you cannot see it. I am typing blind hopping to get it to work. It rotates the picture to horizontal. I have tried several passwords with no luck. Is there a special user and password for this app or what does it want?
Also when I am watching a recorded show on my network, the volume is real low and the phone volume is all the way up, is there a volume control / level somewhere else?

Wayne

Last edited by Doubledose; 01-09-2019 at 06:47 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-09-2019, 07:45 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledose View Post
I found out my problem. My ISP changed my IP address evidently sometime around the time my phone done an update and gave me a message about a 5G update. So my old app is back working.
But now I am curious about the mini client app. So I have reinstalled the miniclient app and it works fine over my local network. but when I turn off my wifi and go thru my phone connection it wants a user and password before it will log me on. The problem I have is that when the logon screen comes up and the keyboard comes up it covers the user and password so you cannot see it. I am typing blind hopping to get it to work. It rotates the picture to horizontal. I have tried several passwords with no luck. Is there a special user and password for this app or what does it want?
Also when I am watching a recorded show on my network, the volume is real low and the phone volume is all the way up, is there a volume control / level somewhere else?

Wayne
Settings > Detailed Setup > Server > Manage Placeshifter Users is where you set the login details for the miniclient. Note that on my Samsung phone I had to switch the keyboard to Google (instead of the Samsung one) to get the login to enter. You only have to do that once though.

Not sure about the audio. When you change it does it just have a little slider on the top right (SageTV UI) or is it your regular phone volume overlay that pops up?
Old 01-09-2019, 10:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarylFStein View Post
Settings > Detailed Setup > Server > Manage Placeshifter Users is where you set the login details for the miniclient. Note that on my Samsung phone I had to switch the keyboard to Google (instead of the Samsung one) to get the login to enter. You only have to do that once though.

Not sure about the audio. When you change it does it just have a little slider on the top right (SageTV UI) or is it your regular phone volume overlay that pops up?
Thanks for the info!
Got it working, I actually had a password in there from several years ago when I messed with placeshifter. For me I still had to type blind for the user and password, I did install the google keyboard, but it made no difference.
The volume buttons on the side of my Samsung Galaxy 8 active raise and lower the volume slide on the top right of the screen, not the normal Samsung volume bar. With it all the way up, you can bearly here the audio.

Thanks
Wayne
Old 01-09-2019, 11:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubledose View Post
Thanks for the info!
Got it working, I actually had a password in there from several years ago when I messed with placeshifter. For me I still had to type blind for the user and password, I did install the google keyboard, but it made no difference.
The volume buttons on the side of my Samsung Galaxy 8 active raise and lower the volume slide on the top right of the screen, not the normal Samsung volume bar. With it all the way up, you can bearly here the audio.

Thanks
Wayne
Before you go into the app, make sure your native phone volume (probably for “media”) is up. It sounds like the volume keys get used inside the app once it’s running.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnjj View Post
Before you go into the app, make sure your native phone volume (probably for “media”) is up. It sounds like the volume keys get used inside the app once it’s running.
Raising the media volume before opening the app made the volume louder. Now that I got the volume louder and can hear it, the volume buttons make no difference, the slider in the top right moves up and down with no change in audio levels.
Thanks for the info.
Wayne