SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Linux > SageTV for unRAID/Docker
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV for unRAID/Docker Discussion related to SageTV for unRAID/Docker. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to SageTV for unRAID/Docker should be posted here.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:12 PM
Sage Fanatic

Native support for hauppauge cards in UNRAID?

https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65820

Credit due to galaxysurfer for unearthing this, and I apologize for crossposting, but I figure this is relevant in the UNRAID forum. I'm just an end user so I cant weigh in, but wondering if this means we could eliminate windows VMs for hauppauge tuners?
Old 01-13-2019, 03:33 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
https://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=65820

Credit due to galaxysurfer for unearthing this, and I apologize for crossposting, but I figure this is relevant in the UNRAID forum. I'm just an end user so I cant weigh in, but wondering if this means we could eliminate windows VMs for hauppauge tuners?
For 950Q and HVR-2250s I would say the Windows drivers are slightly better than the Linux drivers but if you get good to great or better reception I doubt you would notice a difference. When they get a little more marginal like I have the Windows drivers just work better with fewer segmented recordings. When I switched to the quadHD tuners I had to switch to Windows since linux drivers don't work with ATSC or QAM. Not sure about HD-PVR2 but the linux drivers for the original HD-PVR just don't work for me when I try to record 5.1 sound and the Windows drivers DO.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:39 PM
Sage Aficionado

The developer contracted to Hauppauge is doing updates approx every 14 days. This is his site. https://github.com/b-rad-NDi/Ubuntu-...kernel-builder

You may want to test them out to see how they fair for you. I tested it again with Linuxmint 19.1. Previously they didn't work for me. The crux of the matter is that you need to install a custom kernel 4.15 ppa that has a bunch of patches incorporated so the cards work better.
They can be found here https://launchpad.net/~b-rad/+archiv...tree+hauppauge]

You may want to check Hauppauge site to see which cards are included with the updates. I know the older 2250/2255 aren't getting any updates. I had to add the firmware manually from what was available before. I will let you know how the quad card works with sagetv. I did have the tuners working in Kaffeine. Not sure what that software does different than our sagetv.

If we all make our voice known to him that we would like dkms version linux mediatree so we dont need to install a custom kernel made only for Ubuntu, rather than use our preferred distro, then hopefully he will expedite the project. There are a few others there who have voiced interest in a debian version. We are Hauppauge's customers after all. It seems that the company wants to get back in the game & return to their previous position in the tv capture market. Maybe having Plex tv has incentivized them.

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 02-04-2019 at 06:46 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Sage Aficionado

If Unraid is using Debian rather than Ubuntu the drivers might not work. Until we can get Hauppauge to issue dkms mediatree so isn't dependent on Ubunutu ppa. As I stated before we need to be vocal with Hauppauge. If they want us to buy their products they need to offer better support. Cheaping out on the driver development doesn't cut it.
Old 05-20-2019, 09:55 PM
Sage Aficionado

Update on my experience with linux drivers for Hauppauge tuners

Update

I am successfully running Mx linux in systemd mode with linux kernel 4.19 & Sagetv 9.1.10 server. ( I found some problems when i tried using the 9.2 version) I can't vouch for using unraid but have gotten desktop debian linux os setup running sagetv. I personally like using the hauppauge internal cards for OTA dvr. this is tuning in atsc mode.

A lot of work has been done on the linux drivers & been incorporated into mainline linux kernel. I did have to manually add the firmware & v4l files for my Hauppauge 2255 to the /lib/firmware file. The quad card's firmware was already present in the kernel version. My only issues have been related to permission config as well as the comskip config. ( those parts are a work in progress) Once I convert my hdd over to ex4 from ntfs I'm sure the setup will run more smoothly. That may take awhile as I watch & clear out the space.
so I can reformat it. Happy viewing!

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 05-20-2019 at 10:01 PM.