SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v9 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v9 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 9 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 9 and newer.

Old 07-04-2021, 05:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Weather for SageTV and Gemstone

I have completed the updates to the weather systems for Gemstone and the Default STV. The plugins should be available soon in the application.

Summary
  • Default STV updated and Pull Request created so future versions will have the new weather
  • Gemstone plugin version updated so users can update the plugin and use the new weather
  • NEW SageTV7 Full UI Package plugin created so users can install and switch to this updated Full UI STV to take advantage of the weather updates without a full SageTV install. Go to All Available Plugins, Full UI tab and select the SageTV7 package when available. After the install you will need to go to detailed setup, advanced, and Set Full UI package and select the SageTV7_FullUIPackage STV.

Preparation steps for this release:
  • Create a file in the root SageTV folder called owmkey.properties with only 1 line in it "key=userkey"
  • no quotes in the line and replace userkey with the one you get when signing up
  • without a user key Open Weather will not update nor allow locations to be added

The new release has:
  • Support to have multiple weather locations and switch between them
  • Moon phase icons and info
  • Precip info including rain and snow accumulations and probabilities
  • Ability to select from a number of weather icon packages
  • All the weather fields available from OpenWeather including UVIndex
  • Search for locations by Name, Zip or Postal Code
  • 8 day forecast included
  • Note: OWM implements radar maps very differently than WeatherUndergrond so this has currently been removed from the default STV. If there is enough interest I may look into a weather maps implementation from OWM.
  • Note: although the UI's are very different between Gemstone and the default STV, they now share the same backend to make it simpler to support longer term if more changes are required. They also use the same settings file so your weather settings stay if you move from the Default STV to Gemstone or visa versa.

Please post any questions or issues in this forum and I will respond as I can.

GWeather Github repository

K

Last edited by jusjoken; 09-08-2021 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Included the github repo location for future updates
Old 07-04-2021, 07:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for setting up that Patreon page. Makes things easy on our end to just keep a monthly donation going for a little encouragement.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

A little progress so thought I would provide an update. Development environment is mostly set up again as I can now build Gemstone and Phoenix. I have found a good java implementation for OpenWeatherMap and am working on the details of updating Phoenix core with the needed classes.

Still a long way from a working solution and testing but each step counts.

Thanks to those who have offered support on Patreon. I believe they are all Gemstone users so have not seen any comment or interest in the Default STV being updated so as I planned to do Gemstone first I will wait and see if a Default STV update is needed.

Ken
Old 07-06-2021, 12:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would appreciate an update to the Default STV interface. I am a late-comer to Sage and my one attempt to get Gemstone working failed miserably so I just stick to the default UI which works for us.

But please take care of the Gemstone users first. I'm in no hurry.
Old 07-07-2021, 12:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

I would also like to use it with the default interface. I've never tried Gemstone and the default interface meets my needs.
Server: Windows 8.1 4gb RAM; 4TB SATA + others. Homebrew quad core AMD. Inputs: Haup. 980, 850 & 950Q on ATSC; Haup 1600 on ATSC & Comcast 2 DTAs with USBUIRT for NTSC. Haup 1800 on ATSC. HDHR Dual (ATSC). Sage 9.22 64 bit.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:24 PM
Sage Icon

+1 - count me as a standard Sage UI user who would like to see weather working again.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 07-07-2021, 08:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

My brood is also a default STV group. Not sure if makes a difference but support for Canadian weather would be important for me!
Old 07-07-2021, 09:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striker:WG View Post
My brood is also a default STV group. Not sure if makes a difference but support for Canadian weather would be important for me!
That is the plan...from a fellow Canuck.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjoken View Post
That is the plan...from a fellow Canuck.
Me too, eh! (Moi aussi)
Old 07-14-2021, 08:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Status update for new weather solution

Making some good progress but still much to do. Over 30 hours invested so far but I have a working model to retrieve weather within my unit tests for multiple hard coded locations so that at least proves the model is working and I am able to get weather details from OpenWeatherMap into my weather structure.

I have adjusted my design to allow it to support both the default STV as well as Gemstone. The new weather solution will be the same between these to make it easier for me/others to keep it updated in the future. You should be able to install SageTV with the default STV, configure a weather location, switch to Gemstone and the weather will still work for that location...and then switch back and it will still report weather details properly.

All that said there is still much to do to complete the backend and then move on to modifying the UI (both default and gemstone) to use the new backend.

More info will be provided as I find time and progress.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Status update

I am making good progress and should start on the UI likely next week as most of the backend work is completed and I am currently doing unit tests.

There is still much to do to get the UI updated in both the default STV and Gemstone so nothing to show (visually) anytime soon but I have been taking time nearly daily to work on this so progress is steady.

Thanks for the support.

K
Old 07-30-2021, 07:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Some weather progress

Making some progress. I now have weather displaying in the Gemstone UI . Much more to do as the data available between darksky and OpenWeather is different so there are errors (visibility for example on the screenshots) and I have the locations hardcoded for now so all the work to pick a location etc. still needs to be done... and then the Default STV needs retrofitting too.... but getting there for sure.

Note: I included my cold location test for those that are feeling the heat

Attached Images
File Type: png WeatherVerticalExample-medium.PNG (163.4 KB, 736 views)
File Type: png WeatherHorizontalExampleWithSnow-medium.PNG (165.4 KB, 755 views)
Old 08-11-2021, 12:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

This looks fantastic, I can't wait to see the results! I was just wondering if anything was going on to fix the weather.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:35 AM
SageTVaholic

Status update

I have made great progress in the past weeks and am now doing final testing of both gemstone and the default STV. I then need to package them and validate the update process before having others test.

I will have more limited time in the next two weeks so may not get this released until early September but we will see how it goes.

K
Old 08-15-2021, 03:36 PM
SageTVaholic

Sounds great to me. Thanks!
Old 08-19-2021, 07:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Prep for upcoming weather releases

I will soon be releasing new versions of Gemstone and the Default STV with a weather update that uses OpenWeatherMap. This solution requires users to get their own FREE API key from:

https://home.openweathermap.org/users/sign_up

Preparation steps for this release:
  • Create a file in the root SageTV folder called owmkey.properties with only 1 line in it "key=userkey"
  • no quotes in the line and replace userkey with the one you get when signing up
  • without a user key Open Weather will not update nor allow locations to be added

The new release has:
  • Support to have multiple weather locations and switch between them
  • Moon phase icons and info
  • Precip info including rain and snow accumulations and probabilities
  • Ability to select from a number of weather icon packages
  • All the weather fields available from OpenWeather including UVIndex
  • Search for locations by Name, Zip or Postal Code
  • 8 day forecast included
  • Note: OWM implements radar maps very differently than WeatherUndergrond so this has currently been removed from the default STV. If there is enough interest I may look into a weather maps implementation from OWM.
  • Note: although the UI's are very different between Gemstone and the default STV, they now share the same backend to make it simpler to support longer term if more changes are required. They also use the same settings file so your weather settings stay if you move from the Default STV to Gemstone or visa versa.

I will try to get the releases out prior or during this coming weekend and will post if this gets delayed due to other commitments.

K
Old 08-19-2021, 08:45 AM
SageTVaholic

One question - will this require just upgrading (or installing a new) plugin rather than having to upgrade SageTV? It sounds like it is just a plugin that needs to be upgraded/installed.

I believe that there are now issues with upgrading SageTV, at least for unRAID users, largely due to Java versions. So I am hoping to not have to upgrade SageTV.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
One question - will this require just upgrading (or installing a new) plugin rather than having to upgrade SageTV? It sounds like it is just a plugin that needs to be upgraded/installed.

I believe that there are now issues with upgrading SageTV, at least for unRAID users, largely due to Java versions. So I am hoping to not have to upgrade SageTV.
For Gemstone users you will just need to update the Gemstone plugin.

For Default STV users I will push the STV so the next release includes it but I have also CREATED a new Full UI Package plugin that will allow users who don't want to wait till another release occurs or are staying on an older version for various reasons to move to the new STV without a full release.

K
Old 08-19-2021, 06:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Weather changes have been completed

Please see the first post for details. The plugins have been pushed so will be available when the automated process runs.

K
Old 08-20-2021, 04:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Delay on the plugin repo

There is currently an issue on the automated script that should have built the new plugin repo so Sean is looking into it tomorrow and hopefully soon after these changes will be available.

K