SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Gemstone for v7
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Gemstone for v7 This forum is for discussing the user-created Gemstone custom interface for SageTV.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:22 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
Gemstone drags my sagetv down to a halt.

I can watch one recording just fine. After it stops I can watch another but the menu freezes for a moment then catches up to the audio. After that I try to watch something and its spinning wheel of death so I check task manager and my sagetv service is using well over 1.8 gigs of ram and nearly all my clock cycles. What up wit that.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:22 PM
Sage Icon

I this playing back on an extender or a client, or on the server itself??? Any other plugins running on your server? Do you have any of the Ortus plugins installed or the preview from awhile back??? Have you turned the logging on to see what's happening???

Whatever info you can provide will be helpful. We have had over 500 downloads now on this beta and you are the first to report something like this, probably not Gemstone or many others would have screamed by now

Last edited by jorton; 10-25-2012 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:15 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
We have had over 500 downloads now on this beta and you are the first to report something like this, probably not Gemstone or many others would have screamed by now
Actually.... I noticed something like this too, but haven't put a series of steps to it... the frozen start and getty-up as audio and video resync, etc... The generally slow(er) to react, etc.... I'm using extenders, the 300's.

Haven't reported it as I haven't pinned down what's going on, but it's definitely new since starting gemstone, and my system was rock-solid before so it's not a carry forward issue... unlikely anyway.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:44 AM
Sage Icon

@bikesquid - were you using Diamond before or the standard Sagetv 7 UI before Gemstone?

@wbarber69 - how many extenders and were you using Dimaond before?
Old 10-26-2012, 11:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorton View Post
@bikesquid - were you using Diamond before or the standard Sagetv 7 UI before Gemstone?
Yup... using diamond.

Last edited by bikesquid; 10-26-2012 at 11:46 AM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 10-26-2012, 08:01 PM
Sage Fanatic

Not to jump on the bandwagon but I recently put gemstone on my clients and server. Anyway I have had the circle of death a lot lately. I had to restart the server a few times. I am not entirely sure it is Gemstone but I haven't needed to restart my server so frequently untile recently. Still figuring this out.

Thanks,

Neil
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I've noticed the exact opposite on my setup. I can now reboot once a week (really not necessary then either) where I used to reboot daily.

Are you guys exporting/importing common configs to all devices? I've done this in an effort to minimize the memory footprint.

Probably a good idea to remove all unnecessary plugins and start adding them back in one at a time to find out where you have your problem.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Sage Icon

The OP was about a system that pretty much grinds to a halt after playing one or two videos. Please, if you are experiencing a similar issue please post as many details about your system (hardware and software, plugins installed etc... Java heap on server and clients...etc). If you can also provide logs. It is impossible to help or look into anything if we don't have details. Please disable all other plugins on the server other than Gemstone to rule out some sort of plugin interaction that may be causing an issue. We don't officially support other plugins unless they are listed as working in the FAQ and even then, those are just the ones we know are working on our test systems.

We really want to help you guys work things out, but we need details and logs to do so.

J

PS - I've used every version of Diamond and Gemstone over the past couple years and have never had an experience like wbarber69. I have very few plugins on my server to keep it clean and only really use it for recording and marking commercials with Commercial Detector and Showanalyzer (I find it is best for my HDPVRS vs Comskip). Java heap is 1024 on my server and 5 clients. I only have one HD300 so I have never experienced the memory blow up having 5+ HD300s like others have. My clients and server all have SSD drives so local cached fanart is always fast. My movies and archived TV shows are all stored on a separate WHS2011 / Flexraid 12TB server all on a Gigabit LAN.

Last edited by jorton; 10-26-2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:59 AM
Sage Expert

Send a message via ICQ to wbarber69 Send a message via AIM to wbarber69 Send a message via MSN to wbarber69 Send a message via Yahoo to wbarber69
i mostly use sage through one of 2 hd100 extenders or a pc client on the server. ill look into the ortus plugins like you mentioned but i dont think that is the problem. i too have been having issues with the spinning wheel prior to installing gemstone.

i never used diamond on this setup as I had to reinstall everything after tryuing to use diamond in the past.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 PM
Sage Expert

I've removed all the ortus plugins and tweaked some settings and have gotten a little more responsiveness, but at the cost of fanart and animations (I'm also kinda not looking forward to losing podcast recorder). I wish there was a script or something I could run to set sagetv server's affinity to only 2 cores cause it does seem to make a difference. I still think there is some random system bitrot causing my spinning wheel problems.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Sage Icon

How do you mean you lost Fanart and animations? Just run vanilla Sagetv7 with no plugins other than Gemstone installed to rule out other plugins, then add one at a time back again. No need for tweaking at this point other than making sure you have the server java heap at 1024MB. You shouldn't be turning off features like animation in the Sagetv settings if thats what you mean. And by plugins I mean UI Mod plugins not things like BMT, web UI etc...

What are the specs of your server?

Last edited by jorton; 10-27-2012 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Sage Expert

Mostly I think my problems are starting to come from my OS getting old. I started having problems a while back when for some reason my weekly backup of the sage folder and the weekly schedule for shutting down the server before the backup got mess up somehow and my folder sync program was trying to copy running files and programs. I started to see little hiccups in UI speed from time to time. But now that I installed Gemstone it's like the problems are 10 times worse. My java heap has always been at a gig long before I installed gemstone and of course I only tweak settings from the sage menu. But I do appreciate your help in discussing how I should manage MY server. I have a lot of things setup that would take me quite a while to reinstall from scratch and I'd have to take my system down in the middle of a season run, or I would have already ruled out everything with a fresh install. I am not running a single plugin that isn't compatible with Gemstone and none of the other UI have ever used lagged this bad with my current setup, aside from Phoenix which just didn't like to render properly with my graphics card. But those issues were fixed long ago when Phoenix was still under development. I'm just trying to track down some bugs. You don't have to help if you don't want to.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:23 PM
Sage Icon

But what else would I do on a Saturday night?

Keep working at it and if you think there is something related to Gemstone let us know. Gemstone and even Diamond are definitely more taxing on systems as they have to deal with all the fanart and widgets that aren't part of a basic Sagetv install.

Good luck.

J
Old 10-27-2012, 06:32 PM
Sage Expert

Specs are in my sig which got turned off at some point I just realized it wasn't there.