SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-09-2021, 05:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

SageTV & java versions

I currently have 2 sage servers. I running on Win 10 & one on Linux (Debian 10 - Buster, soon to be Debian 11 Bullseye. The linux one is using latest Java 11. On the Win 10 I am attempting to upgrade from Java 8 Oracle ver to an OpenJDk 11. So far SageTV wont detect a non Oracle version installed. Will this always be the case? Here is a link that might be helpful as to the difference in code.

https://medium.com/testvagrant/migra...2-9ab082f335e8

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/jav...a-8-to-java-11

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/jav...ove-to-java-11

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 11-09-2021 at 05:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2021, 09:03 PM
Sage Icon

There are multiple places throughout the native code that look for the java version in order to access the Java DLL. They search for the registry keys HKLM\Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\CurrentVersion and HLKM\Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment\<the current version from above>\RuntimeLib".

I assume OpenJDK uses different keys for this information. SageTV could be made to detect either or you could potentially just hack the registry to create these keys and point them at the current OpenJDK equivalents.

If SageTV were to be updated I would make a common function so these 8-9 separate places in the code would simply call the common function. In other words, not a trivial change but not super complex either. The installer would also need to either add the option for either version or at least look for OpenJDK before installing the Oracle one.

Last edited by wnjj; 11-09-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 11-12-2021, 05:05 AM
Sage Aficionado

okay thanks for your reply. I wasn't sure where we stood on the java version front going forward.

I am more of a tinker till it works kind of gal. I am just curious about this as java versions generally have a shelf life.

I just looked up the end date for Java 8 & it has been extended till 2030 so I guess we are safe for the foreseeable future of our use case. This is good on one hand since they removed a lot of core code in later versions.

I do like the fact that they fixed the garbage collector in newer versions so I don't get the out of memory errors esp on Linux. On my win server I just set it to reboot daily to clear the cache.

FYI on java future

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_version_history

Last edited by Galaxysurfer; 11-12-2021 at 05:21 AM.