SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-18-2022, 09:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Lost HDHomeRun Prime Tuners - Help Needed

I could really use some help.

A few weeks back, I updated to the latest version of SageTV, and in trying to fix some things that broke, somehow made things worse. I also updated Java and the drivers on my HDHomeRun Prime. Somewhere in the process, I lost the cable tuners.

I have an older HDHomeRun (OTA) and an HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard), both of which have worked well for years. After the updates, the OTA is working fine. But the Prime tuners show "No Signal". The Prime works fine using the HDHomeRun App. Just the link to SageTV is somehow broken.

I have deleted and re-added all of the tuner content in the .properties file - using the OpenDCT process. Still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-18-2022, 09:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71_Cuda View Post
I could really use some help.

A few weeks back, I updated to the latest version of SageTV, and in trying to fix some things that broke, somehow made things worse. I also updated Java and the drivers on my HDHomeRun Prime. Somewhere in the process, I lost the cable tuners.

I have an older HDHomeRun (OTA) and an HDHomeRun Prime (CableCard), both of which have worked well for years. After the updates, the OTA is working fine. But the Prime tuners show "No Signal". The Prime works fine using the HDHomeRun App. Just the link to SageTV is somehow broken.

I have deleted and re-added all of the tuner content in the .properties file - using the OpenDCT process. Still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You need to post the opendct properties ...
Old 04-19-2022, 08:33 AM
Sage Icon

When I get "No Signal" when I try to tune a channel, I can usually just follow this proceedure to get it back.....

1) Stop the SageTV service
2) Restart the OpenDTC service
3) Wait about 30 seconds for that service to work through it's initialization
4) Restart the SageTV service

Obviously when this happens it is because something funky is going on with OpenDTC (or at least the relationship between openDTC and SageTV). SageTV thinks the tuners are there and will attempt to connect to them, but OpenDTC isn't working properly and the tuners don't pass any information. (Of course this is my opinion of what is going on and I don't really understand to "under the hood" operations of either software, so I could be completely off base here).

Restarting OpenDTC seems to fix the issue, but you also have to restart SageTV after restarting OpenDTC to refresh that connection between the two.

If that doesn't fix it, then I would say there is something wrong with your OpenDTC setup. You might simply nuke your OpenDTC properties file and start over. OpenDTC is almost plug and play now (vs having to play around with the properties file a lot when it first was released), so starting from scratch isn't as scary as it might sound.

EDIT - Before I nuked the openDTC properties file, I would run the service with the console window so that you can see what openDTC is doing and where any errors or hangs might occur. That would be very helpful in diagnosing the issue and you might find an easy solution before you nuke the file.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all

Last edited by sic0048; 04-19-2022 at 08:36 AM.
Old 04-19-2022, 08:39 AM
Sage Advanced User

to check status you might try to access OpenDCT through the web interface eg
http://192.168.1.2:9091/ (where my Sage server is 192.168.1.2 and yours may of course be different)
Old 04-19-2022, 08:44 PM
Sage Icon

Upgrading Java might have borked something. OpenDCT is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, but it doesn’t always pick the right version of Java to work with (I think it tries to use whichever version was installed last).
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 04-19-2022, 10:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
You need to post the opendct properties ...
Sorry I didn't include it. The file is attached here. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt opendct.properties.txt (8.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-19-2022, 10:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic0048 View Post
When I get "No Signal" when I try to tune a channel, I can usually just follow this proceedure to get it back.....

1) Stop the SageTV service
2) Restart the OpenDTC service
3) Wait about 30 seconds for that service to work through it's initialization
4) Restart the SageTV service

Obviously when this happens it is because something funky is going on with OpenDTC (or at least the relationship between openDTC and SageTV). SageTV thinks the tuners are there and will attempt to connect to them, but OpenDTC isn't working properly and the tuners don't pass any information. (Of course this is my opinion of what is going on and I don't really understand to "under the hood" operations of either software, so I could be completely off base here).

Restarting OpenDTC seems to fix the issue, but you also have to restart SageTV after restarting OpenDTC to refresh that connection between the two.

If that doesn't fix it, then I would say there is something wrong with your OpenDTC setup. You might simply nuke your OpenDTC properties file and start over. OpenDTC is almost plug and play now (vs having to play around with the properties file a lot when it first was released), so starting from scratch isn't as scary as it might sound.

EDIT - Before I nuked the openDTC properties file, I would run the service with the console window so that you can see what openDTC is doing and where any errors or hangs might occur. That would be very helpful in diagnosing the issue and you might find an easy solution before you nuke the file.
I tried this... multiple times. Unfortunately, no luck.
Old 04-19-2022, 10:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGsell View Post
to check status you might try to access OpenDCT through the web interface eg
http://192.168.1.2:9091/ (where my Sage server is 192.168.1.2 and yours may of course be different)
Here's what I get....

OpenDCT 0.5.28
Loaded Capture Devices:

DCT-HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 131E6E5E-0: Idle
DCT-HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 131E6E5E-1: Idle
DCT-HDHomeRun Prime Tuner 131E6E5E-2: Idle
HDHomeRun HDHR3-US Tuner 1037FB74-0: Idle
HDHomeRun HDHR3-US Tuner 1037FB74-1: Idle
Old 04-22-2022, 05:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

Anyone else have any suggestions of what to try? I am stuck and have tried everything I know how to do.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:20 AM
Sage Icon

I would try sending a PM to EnterNoEscape, if anyone can help it would be him.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 04-22-2022, 06:50 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Anyone else have any suggestions of what to try? I am stuck and have tried everything I know how to do.
If your server is on windows can you try with the firewall off ?
Old 04-22-2022, 07:12 AM
Sage Aficionado

There is a newer version of OpenDCT (0.5.32).

EDIT: Have you been updating the firmware for the HDHomeRuns?

My Suggestion:

Within Sage - Delete all the tuners using OpenDCT.
If you desire, with Sage shutdown and the the Sage service shutdown - edit the propeties file and delete the tuner entries for the OpenDCT tuners.

Leave Sage Shutdown for now.

(I realize you may have already done this.)

Stop the OpenDCT service and Unistall OpenDCT.
=================================

Edit: Before re-installing OpenDCT, Run a channel scan on the Primes. Either using the HDHomeRun Config program or using the HDHomeRun local webpage.

Follow the directions given in the OpenDCT thread or what is on Github and Reinstall OpenDCT (either the existing version (5.28) or the newer (5.32))

re-do the OpenDCT tuners in Sage.

Note: I will suggest that you use the same "bitnes" for both Sage and OpenDCT. In my mind, 32 bit OpenDCT should work with 64 bit Sage but I never got it to work (at least not if they were both installed on the same machine).

I like to edit the tuner names in OpenDCT so they are much shorter than the default name. I have run into issues if the name that OpenDCT uses is not exactly the same as what is in Sage.

The only constant in the Universe is change.

Last edited by UgaData; 04-22-2022 at 07:54 AM.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
If your server is on windows can you try with the firewall off ?
I am running as Service. But client and server are on the same PC.

I have now tried with Firewall off, with no luck. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 04-22-2022, 04:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by UgaData View Post
There is a newer version of OpenDCT (0.5.32).

EDIT: Have you been updating the firmware for the HDHomeRuns?

My Suggestion:

Within Sage - Delete all the tuners using OpenDCT.
If you desire, with Sage shutdown and the the Sage service shutdown - edit the propeties file and delete the tuner entries for the OpenDCT tuners.

Leave Sage Shutdown for now.

(I realize you may have already done this.)

Stop the OpenDCT service and Unistall OpenDCT.
=================================

Edit: Before re-installing OpenDCT, Run a channel scan on the Primes. Either using the HDHomeRun Config program or using the HDHomeRun local webpage.

Follow the directions given in the OpenDCT thread or what is on Github and Reinstall OpenDCT (either the existing version (5.28) or the newer (5.32))

re-do the OpenDCT tuners in Sage.

Note: I will suggest that you use the same "bitnes" for both Sage and OpenDCT. In my mind, 32 bit OpenDCT should work with 64 bit Sage but I never got it to work (at least not if they were both installed on the same machine).

I like to edit the tuner names in OpenDCT so they are much shorter than the default name. I have run into issues if the name that OpenDCT uses is not exactly the same as what is in Sage.
Thanks for the detailed suggestions.

I had tried everything from deleting the encoder instances in Sage.properties and rerunning the OpenDCT process, and readding the tuners in Sage - multiple times. This time, as you suggested, I uninstalled and reinstalled OpenDCT (the latest version this time). Unfortunately, I get the same result - "No Signal".

It has been 3 or 4 years since I originally installed the tuners with OpenDCT, so I don't recall the process - but it seemed different this time. When adding the tuners to SageTV, it makes me select "Digital TV Tuner" - which is only selectable after several seconds waiting. It then scans and says the broadcast standard is being determined. After which there is just one option to "Use Tuner on Capture Card to tun Antenna/Cable TV..." I then select my SchedulesDirect lineup. Then it asks me if I want to scan for channels. Is that correct?

Also, I did update the HDHomeRun firmware on the Prime (ver. 20220203) around the time I started having this issue. The OTA one is still on ver. 20200225 firmware.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed suggestions.

I had tried everything from deleting the encoder instances in Sage.properties and rerunning the OpenDCT process, and readding the tuners in Sage - multiple times. This time, as you suggested, I uninstalled and reinstalled OpenDCT (the latest version this time). Unfortunately, I get the same result - "No Signal".

It has been 3 or 4 years since I originally installed the tuners with OpenDCT, so I don't recall the process - but it seemed different this time. When adding the tuners to SageTV, it makes me select "Digital TV Tuner" - which is only selectable after several seconds waiting. It then scans and says the broadcast standard is being determined. After which there is just one option to "Use Tuner on Capture Card to tun Antenna/Cable TV..." I then select my SchedulesDirect lineup. Then it asks me if I want to scan for channels. Is that correct?

Also, I did update the HDHomeRun firmware on the Prime (ver. 20220203) around the time I started having this issue. The OTA one is still on ver. 20200225 firmware.

Thanks again for your help.
make sure you are adding the tuners that have 127.0.0.1:9000 When you select digitaltv tuner and it tries to tune you can just cancel and it will continue ... and you should not have to scan. After completing setup of tuners you can disable channels you do not get.

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-22-2022 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 05:53 PM
Sage Aficionado

What you are seeing is mostly correct for setting up DCT tuners in Sage.

However, right after Clicking on "Add New Source" I get a page listing the HDHR Primes to choose which one I want to setup ( I see 6 - 3 for each tuner). Then I get the "Digital TV Tuner" option (which is the only choice)
Which may indicate that Sage isn't really seeing or communicating correctly with the Prime. See attached - keep in mind I rename my tuners. what you should see is something similar to what was returned with TGSELL's suggestion, except this would be inside Sage. (or like what NYPLAYER posted while I was typing my response)

The "channel scan" I am referring to is not inside of SageTV. It is either on the webpage for the HDHR Prime (i.e. open a browser and type in the IP address for the Prime) or in the HDHR software that comes with the Prime.

The scan is to make sure the HDHR Prime sees all the channels that are available.
I almost never do scans inside of Sage as part of the tuner setup. It doesn't hurt anything, just takes more time and I setup my channels manually (enable/disable)

Sometimes when I mess things up with one or both of my Primes, I can hack about and get things working again. Other times, I have to go back to square one and uninstall the Prime tuners from Sage then uninstall OpenDCT - before re-installing. As a last resort that has always worked.
Attached Images
File Type: png DCT selection.png (580.0 KB, 37 views)

The only constant in the Universe is change.

Last edited by UgaData; 04-22-2022 at 05:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2022, 07:23 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

However, right after Clicking on "Add New Source" I get a page listing the HDHR Primes to choose which one I want to setup ( I see 6 - 3 for each tuner). Then I get the "Digital TV Tuner" option (which is the only choice)
Which may indicate that Sage isn't really seeing or communicating correctly with the Prime. See attached - keep in mind I rename my tuners. what you should see is something similar to what was returned with TGSELL's suggestion, except this would be inside Sage. (or like what NYPLAYER posted while I was typing my response)

The "channel scan" I am referring to is not inside of SageTV. It is either on the webpage for the HDHR Prime (i.e. open a browser and type in the IP address for the Prime) or in the HDHR software that comes with the Prime.

The scan is to make sure the HDHR Prime sees all the channels that are available.
I almost never do scans inside of Sage as part of the tuner setup. It doesn't hurt anything, just takes more time and I setup my channels manually (enable/disable)

Sometimes when I mess things up with one or both of my Primes, I can hack about and get things working again. Other times, I have to go back to square one and uninstall the Prime tuners from Sage then uninstall OpenDCT - before re-installing. As a last resort that has always worked.
This is the correct choice ""Digital TV Tuner" you are over thinking it assuming it is wrong.
I see you renamed them just click on it and set them up. Select Digital tuner move down select ... cancel then move down hit select then select then setup your EPG.
Screen Shots in order of selection.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-04-22 183732.png (636.8 KB, 44 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-04-22 183809.png (620.6 KB, 40 views)
File Type: png Screenshot 2022-04-22 183952.png (708.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2022-04-22 184124.jpg (116.6 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-22-2022 at 07:57 PM.
Old 04-23-2022, 03:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
This is the correct choice ""Digital TV Tuner" you are over thinking it assuming it is wrong.
I see you renamed them just click on it and set them up. Select Digital tuner move down select ... cancel then move down hit select then select then setup your EPG.
Screen Shots in order of selection.
Yes, that's exactly what I'm seeing, only with my tuners of course. The attached screenshot is of my tuner setup. The first two are the OTA tuners. They are installed natively and work fine. When I try to use the OpenDCT versions, they don't work either, just like the Prime tuners. Everything looks right to me. It intalls correctly. Even finds channels if I do the scan. It just continues to give me No Signal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Source Setup.jpg (519.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 04-23-2022, 04:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

Thanks. That is exactly what I am seeing, though. Sorry if my previous post wasn't thorough or clear. The attached screenshot shows my available tuner list after I select "Add New Source". The first two listed are the native versions of the OTA tuners. The next three are the DCT Prime tuners. The last two (only one fits on this screenshot) are the DCT instances of the OTA tuners.

So it appears everthing is working correctly up until I try to tune the DCT tuners within Sage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tuner list.jpg (430.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 04-23-2022, 07:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks. That is exactly what I am seeing, though. Sorry if my previous post wasn't thorough or clear. The attached screenshot shows my available tuner list after I select "Add New Source". The first two listed are the native versions of the OTA tuners. The next three are the DCT Prime tuners. The last two (only one fits on this screenshot) are the DCT instances of the OTA tuners.

So it appears everthing is working correctly up until I try to tune the DCT tuners within Sage.
Can you try tuning and post the latest OPNDCT log and wrapper log found in

C:\ProgramData\OpenDCT\logs

Last edited by nyplayer; 04-23-2022 at 08:33 PM.