SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Sage User

Question What to Buy?

Pardon the newbie question, but I just want to make sure I understand the difference between SageTV, SageClient and SageRecorder before I purchase...

I have a server where I'm going to run Sage. I'm also going to connect two TVs (via MVPs) and two additional PCs using SageClient. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not I need SageTV on the server or only SageRecorder. So...

1. Do I only need SageTV on the server if I want the full OSD functionality on that box? Are there any other dis/advantages either way?

2. Am I required to purchase multiple SageClient licenses for each of my PCs? So, two, in this scenario? I don't need client licenses for the MVP TVs, do I?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

Brian
Old 11-09-2004, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian
1. Do I only need SageTV on the server if I want the full OSD functionality on that box? Are there any other dis/advantages either way?
You will need 1 copy of SageTV for your server. SageTVRecorder does not have the full functionality of SageTV & if you want to use a client, you need the server.

Quote:
2. Am I required to purchase multiple SageClient licenses for each of my PCs? So, two, in this scenario? I don't need client licenses for the MVP TVs, do I?
You need 1 SageTVClient license for each PC you plan to install the software on (2, from your description). Each PC can run multiple instances of the client -- see the MVP Client available! thread for using the MVP.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-09-2004, 10:57 AM
Sage User

Thanks for your reply Andy. Sounds like I'm on the right track. Can't wait to get it all connected!
Old 11-16-2004, 10:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm a little confused by this, since if running MVP Client as UI for SageTV vs regurlar SageTV Client I don't see intructions to run multiple instances following the UI instructions.

I have one Sage Server, On PC to run as client, and two MVPs. Can I get by with one Client license or do I need two? Watching TV on the Server is not important.

When I tried running MVP as regular client on server, I could not conntect with the PC running client. I could only get either the PC Client or MVP connected not both. I didn't get an error telling me, duplicate license, I just got an error that said not able to connect to server.
Old 11-16-2004, 11:11 PM
Administrator

See MVP Client available! and follow the link in the first post for installation instructions for the MVP plugin. It includes instructions for using multiple MVPs. NOTE: In case it was left out, the 2nd client will have to use the "-multi" command line parameter (see Appendix D on p. 189 in the v2.1 manual).

As I mentioned above, you can run multiple instances of the SageTV Client on a single PC. One license is required per PC the client is running on, not per instance. So, to use a server PC + a single client PC, you would need 1 SageTV license and 1 SageTVClient license.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.