SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 06-21-2005, 09:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Next evolution of iPod/Podcasting?

With Podcasting becoming so popular, could a similar approach be taken using PVRed content for personal use?

i.e. - I use my iPod all of the time for music and books on tape. However, I would like to get more content such as news and comedy programs too (my commute is terrible!!! ) So if there was an automated process to strip audio streams from CNN, ComedyCentral or Discover Channel shows, it could then be downloaded to the iPod for listening later. Heck - I paid to receive the content why not enjoy it on different devices?

Anyways I am thinking about building a tool strip the audio and manage the recordings (and possibly allow for remote downloads in the future so I can get new content while I am work ) for my iPod.

Is there any interest in rest of community for such a tool - or am I whacked?

I was going to call it Pod-Sat (for iPod Satellite)

Stealth
Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 AM
Sage Expert

not so much for just the audio... but when the next gen ipods come out with video capability... then I'm onboard.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Sage User

I would really like this too. I havent put much thought into it, but i believe mpg editors should be able to strip the sound out of the file and then you should be able to reencode it as mp3. Just havent had time to mess with it much.

update:Man...I thought it would be harder. Womble mpeg-vcr has an option to save the audio as mpeg 1 or 2. Then just add to itunes or whatever you use to manage your ipod.

Last edited by rich_l; 07-09-2005 at 11:16 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

You can do this with VirtualDub (only works on AVIs as far as I know though).
Old 07-11-2005, 04:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

I agree some of the tools do it... but they do it manually. I was hoping to automate the process and have the app do some house keeping like remove old content. First-in First-out processing. I was really thinking it would be a great way to get news and talk shows. You could also mark content as permanent too - like comedy shows.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:21 PM
Sage Icon

This is an interesting idea. I don't think it would be that difficult with the tools currently available. I bet the Cayars compression and ffmpegpickup could be hacked to do this with VirtualDub Mpeg2 to mp3. You could probably even hack it to put each into show folders in your podcast directory.

The tough thing for actual iPod owners (iRiver w/ Rockbox hack for me ), is metadata. All the new shows will be naked, and tough to manage in iTunes. But you might be able to hack something together that steals the xml data from the compression routine and stuff that into the mp3 after vdub is done with it. I know there are CLI tools that do this. You might even be able to get the comskip stuff in there to create bookmarks (though this is limited to OSX machines ATM...damn Steve Jobs...)