SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Arrow STV Import: Comskip Playback support for SageTV v4 (v1.3 18/Oct/2005)

Subject says it all:

An importable module for SAGETV3 STV that adds support for reading the txt files generated by comskip and skipping commercial breaks during playback

This module DOES NOT run comskip itself: you will need to do that manually, or use a tool such as DirMon or ShowAnalyser (when it is released!)

This is simply an importable version of the code created by Malore, LaurenGlenn, and others... It can only be considered beta, because I don't actually use comskip myself!

Installation Instructions:
The module adds a item to the playback Options menu and to the DetailedSetup/Customize panel with to control the auto-skip settings.

Update: 26/Jul/2005
Fixed some small bugs relating to manual skipping..

Update 4/Aug/2005
Made the Pause before skip functionality optional (required by some decoders, but breaks comskip with Matts MediaMVP client)

Update 18/10/2005
Malore fixed it for V3.0.13 Thanks!

Last edited by nielm; 10-20-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Nice job.
Imported without an issue. Options show up. And the commercial breaks show up in the timeline. Autoskip works fine. Thanks for putting in the effort.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

I apologize in advance, but I never really understood comskip. I installed Cayars and it magically worked, so I need the "step me thru this" explanation.

I was using Cayars, installed v3 over v2, and now I want to use the v3 STV, what steps (other than installing this plug-in) do I need to take to get comskip working?

Will the existing comskip functionality that was installed with Cayars work if I just add this plug-in? Or do I need to add DirMon?

And, lastly, since comskip is now a "must have" around my house, if I can't get this to work, is anyone using Cayars and still getting comskip to work wV3 or do I go back to v2?

Thanks!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:43 PM
SageTVaholic

This only supports the autoskip of comskip on playback. This plugin is not for the running or scheduling of comskip. I actually use Dirmon and ShowAnalyzer.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:56 PM
Sage Advanced User

What was Cayars using to generate the comskip files that this plug-in reads? Is that DirMon? Could I continue to use Cayar's comskip app somehow? Could I simply launch his application manually before I go to bed and turn it off before I start watching TV after work?

If I had to figure out to implement comskip on my own, I would probably go back to 2.2 since there is nothing that compelling about v3 for me (my 2.2.8 was rock solid). I would rather have the older, less attractive interface and comskip (and diskspace bar) than try to figure out how to get everything reconfigured on my own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
This only supports the autoskip of comskip on playback. This plugin is not for the running or scheduling of comskip. I actually use Dirmon and ShowAnalyzer.

Gerry
Old 07-25-2005, 05:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Any of the STVs that can generate the commercial skips used the comskip program. comskip.exe was a program that was usually included with these STVs. You could use that and Dirmon to generate the commercial skips. Please read the comskip thread for an idea on how to do this or visit the wiki here:
Comskip Wiki

Gerry

Last edited by gplasky; 07-25-2005 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:26 PM
Sage Icon

One issue.

I can't seem to MANUALLY skip forward and backward to the commercial marks. It is possible my remote is 'messed up' after the upgrade though.

I thought CUSTOM 4 and CUSTOM 5 did the back & forward (respectively) on the commercial markers. On mine it just seems to PAUSE... Not sure why.

Auto skipping forward appears to work correctly.

EDIT: Nope... Manual skipping seems to be broken. Programmed 5 buttons for CUSTOM 1-5, none of them do the manual skip now...

Jason

Last edited by JasonJoel; 07-25-2005 at 07:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2005, 07:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the info. I've got DirMon set-up to call comskip.exe and it appears to be working.

One problem: It seemed that with Cayar, comskip would stop processing when Sage was active. Is there anyway to set-up comskip.exe to pause/stop processing until Sage is inactive? The way it is running now, it's putting a drag on my machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky
Any of the STVs that can generate the commercial skips used the comskip program. comskip.exe was a program that was usually included with these STVs. You could use that and Dirmon to generate the commercial skips. Please read the comskip thread for an idea on how to do this or visit the wiki here:
Comskip Wiki

Gerry
Old 07-25-2005, 10:01 PM
Sage Expert

Not to be lazy or ungrateful (lots of V3 stuff is popping up!, this is great) but are there any plans to incorporate this "DIRMON" or "showanalizer" or some form of automation to comskip? (ALA CAYARS)

I too pluggind in the CAYARS STV and it all magically worked. As a non-techy kind of user, I'm looking for a one step solution, rather than manage and install and maintain 2 or more apps for one function.

Are there plans to incorporate ALL these upgrades and put then in one STV??

Old 07-26-2005, 02:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Are there plans to incorporate ALL these upgrades and put then in one STV??
Not for a while -- and it won't be by me either!... The V3 STV will continue to change and evolve as bugs are fixed... Who knows, there may even be new features.

While this is the case, there is not much point in an STV author basing a new/updated STV on the beta V3...

(This is also why I recommend in my v3 imports thread that you should re-import at each new version of Sage.)

EDIT: just seen that malore has released his STV with full comskip support...

Last edited by nielm; 07-26-2005 at 02:44 AM.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonJoel
I thought CUSTOM 4 and CUSTOM 5 did the back & forward (respectively) on the commercial markers. On mine it just seems to PAUSE... Not sure why.
It is custom 4+5 that are mapped to manual commercial skip... I could not reproduce your problem exactly, but I found another couple of issues related to manual comskip that I have fixed, which may have triggered this on your system...

Updated version uploaded
Old 07-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Sage Icon

Tried the update. no change.

When I hit my key mapped to CUSTOM4 or CUSTOM5 it PAUSES playback, and does not skip to ther next chapter.

If I use Malore's STV it works, so I am pretty sure my buttons are mapped correctly.

I would rather use yours though, as the silver highlighting matches the rest of the STV better.

Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nielm
It is custom 4+5 that are mapped to manual commercial skip... I could not reproduce your problem exactly, but I found another couple of issues related to manual comskip that I have fixed, which may have triggered this on your system...

Updated version uploaded
Old 07-28-2005, 07:47 PM
Sage Icon

Did you ever get a chance to look at this? Would be nice to use this instead of the full Malore STV...

Thanks, and if you don't have time - I understand. You have a lot going on. I have a 7 month old myself .

Jason
Old 07-29-2005, 11:21 AM
Sage Icon

JasonJoel, I know you have probably done this but when you imported it again did you start with the original untouched V3 STV before doing the import?
Old 07-29-2005, 05:35 PM
Sage Icon

Yeah, I did. Each time I started with the clean V3 STV.

Only other thing I can think of is that I'm using Matt's MVP client. However, with Malore's V3 STV comskip works fine, so I would like to think that the MVP client isn't the issue.

Weird.

Jason
Old 07-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via AIM to laurenglenn Send a message via MSN to laurenglenn
Quote:
Yeah, I did. Each time I started with the clean V3 STV.

Only other thing I can think of is that I'm using Matt's MVP client. However, with Malore's V3 STV comskip works fine, so I would like to think that the MVP client isn't the issue.

Weird.

Jason
Some of the code in the import is what I modded from Malore in my STV. The Pause was done a while back for PVR350 users. It depends on the DVD/MPEG-2 playback software. Some need it to be paused or it won't Seek to the new position. Most don't care and I'm guessing that your system's decoder doesn't like it at all....

I think Nielm figured that was it and took it out of the code now.

Lauren
Old 07-30-2005, 01:49 AM
SageTVaholic

I think the problem is that Matt's MVP client cannot seek while paused, which causes that code branch to fail... Will create a fix for this soon...
Old 07-30-2005, 05:21 AM
Sage Icon

Thanks for looking into this everyone. I appreciate it.

Now, if I could fix the other issue I'm seeing (maybe related)... As soon as I start playing a video it goes straight to the end of the video and instantly returns me to the recording menu.

Then I have to select it again to play it, and it usually comes on-screen, but says it is paused (although it is really playing).

Then I have to hit PLAY to get it 'really' playing. Weird.

They all might be related to Matt's client though.... Hmmmm..... Hope Sage hurries up with their official MVP client.

Going back to a v2 STV does not help matters, either. Seems to be related to a core change in 3.0.

I submitted a bug in any case.

Jason
Old 07-30-2005, 07:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Seems to be related to a core change in 3.0.
SageTV indeed behaves strange and there's not much I can do. I'll see if I can workout a solution with Jeff until their MVP solution is ready.

-Matt
Old 08-01-2005, 10:18 AM
Sage Aficionado

Does this comskip import STV support live rereading of the txt file while watching a show? I have SA running while the show is recorded but it seems that the txt file is not reread...

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!