SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-03-2005, 10:01 AM
Sage Expert

Disk Usage

hai (<- this is a joke in german hai (spoken hi) is a shark)

when i switch to normal disk gauge..the font under the bar is to big...i can see only 2/3 from the font.

i love the normal disk gauge... time what i can record is the best for me
Server - Lenovo K320 with WindowsHomeServer2011, 10 Terabyte HD's on stablebit drivepool, (1 x DuoFlex CT Octopus PCIe DVB-C 4 Tuner all with LM-DVB-SmartRecorder, dbox2, run SageTV as Service, DeskNow Mail and Collaboration server, 2 Terabyte NAS (Ximeta) as seconf backup, 1Gb/s MSI ePower HD Network, 3xHD100, 1xHD200, 1xHD300, Panasonic LCD 55" TV, Sharp LCD TV, JVC LCD TV, Touchscreen LCD, PlaceShifter
cu at http://www.dbuschek.de

Last edited by DIBU; 11-03-2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondragon
Another request: Mouse clicks everywhere. Importantly, in the guide, I'd like to mouse click through the dates if possible.
I can do that. I'll see if I can figure out a good way to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dibu
when i switch to normal disk gauge..the font under the bar is to big...i can see only 2/3 from the font.
Doh! Sorry about that. I'll make sure it gets fixed.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:32 PM
Sage User

Hi Crashless

I finally had time to play with the new stv. It's great. Thanks for all the new features. I especially love the news reader.

Iain
Old 11-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks iain! I'm glad it's working well for you. Thanks for the icons, I really like how they fit in.

Any bugs? anyone? Bueller?

Are all feature requests in? Can I start on the long list of stuff I've been wanting to do? Lots planned - lots. But I want to make sure everything's gold before I proceed.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

Crashless, Is there a "user guide" for the STV ? One that lists the keystrokes used. I would like to program an Imon remote to work with the STV. The remote sends commands to the Imon software which in turn can send a keystroke(s) to a selected program.

Thanks, Ken C
Old 11-03-2005, 08:22 PM
Sage User

requests:

i think someone asked for this already or it may be too hard:
make the rss news reader a top level home menu option.

also, i have been thinking about how to make the jukebox better. it would be nice to be able to start typing and have the view of albums/artists etc dynamically filter out like itunes does, so when you type the letter b only albums beginning with b turn up. (but to make it harder, using the nemeric keypad to type the letters) feel free to ignore this request if it looks hard/boring

iain
Old 11-03-2005, 09:02 PM
Sage User

request: The show number. Would be nice to see it displayed in the my shows as well as in info . great STV!
Old 11-03-2005, 10:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken C
Crashless, Is there a "user guide" for the STV ? One that lists the keystrokes used. I would like to program an Imon remote to work with the STV. The remote sends commands to the Imon software which in turn can send a keystroke(s) to a selected program.
No user guide yet, but yours is an easy one. SageTV has core-level buttons you can map any key to any function. Go to "Settings->Commands->Link IR/Keystroke". Just set your remote for unique keys, then go to that menu and set them to what you want. These settings will be global, so if you decide for some reason, to use a different STV (I can't imagine why this would happen ), the settings will carry over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain
make the rss news reader a top level home menu option.

also, i have been thinking about how to make the jukebox better. it would be nice to be able to start typing and have the view of albums/artists etc dynamically filter out like itunes does, so when you type the letter b only albums beginning with b turn up. (but to make it harder, using the nemeric keypad to type the letters) feel free to ignore this request if it looks hard/boring
Not difficult to make it a main menu item, but it kind of gets away from the current metaphor of a title->subcategory. If the main menu item is 'RSS News' what goes on the right side?

Jukebox: that'll probably need to be a new menu, have you seen abasu's 3 pane menu? I could implement that pretty easily:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13787

Quote:
request: The show number. Would be nice to see it displayed in the my shows as well as in info . great STV!
The way it is now, it's kinda a hack to get this to work, but I'll see what I can do. Thanks!
Old 11-04-2005, 12:14 AM
Sage Fanatic

Hey Crashless,

I finally got to get back into Sage again, and I have to say you've done a great job with Mikes .stv! I'm sorry I haven't been able to contribute anything in the last few months myself.

With studio out, is there any particular aspects that you'd like for the 'troups' to experiment with to help move this great .stv forward?

As for the 3 pane jukebox that abasu did, it does seem to provide a lot more functionality than what is in the box but is doesn't have that easy to use/navigate, natural feel that the rest of your .stv does. I think it'd be good to scrape some ideas from but will need a better ui metaphor to become part of your .stv.

Just my thoughts!

-PGPfan
Old 11-04-2005, 02:02 AM
Sage Expert

Crashless, I was just reading another thread, where a Meedio developer was asking about porting over his plugins to Sage (how awsome is that!), and it gave me an idea. I am emailing DHill, of the Meedio JRMC plugin, and asking him if he could possibly port over his plugin to Sage now that studio is released. I have no idea what is involved with that, at all, so maybe you could contact him as well and see if it is a possibility to integrate with your STV? Besides the cost of buying all the additional client lisences, JRMC integration is the only thing keeping me from switching over to Sage full time (and meetvshows though less so) on most of my HTPCs and a single HTPC app is something I have wanted for a long time.

In that vein, would you ever consider an importer from the mysql meetvshows database into Sage? It is just a small question as I do not know if this is an ok thing to do or not.

Last edited by silkshadow; 11-04-2005 at 03:07 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 08:25 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
SageTV has core-level buttons you can map any key to any function. Go to "Settings->Commands->Link IR/Keystroke". Just set your remote for unique keys, then go to that menu and set them to what you want.
I knew that ... just not thinking ...

Ken C
Old 11-04-2005, 11:20 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan
I finally got to get back into Sage again, and I have to say you've done a great job with Mikes .stv! I'm sorry I haven't been able to contribute anything in the last few months myself.
Thanks! Glad to see you around again.

Quote:
With studio out, is there any particular aspects that you'd like for the 'troups' to experiment with to help move this great .stv forward?
I've been thinking up some procedures for user submissions. I realize that people will inevitably make mods to my STV, so I'm going to write up my 'official policy' on this subject. For now here's a synopsis:

If you make a new feature, I'll be more than happy to take a look at it for inclusion in my releases. As a general rule, things like chaging menu orders, buttons that are available, and text that is displayed will probably _not_ be included. But things like making an interface to change menu orders, making a method to allow customization of available buttons, and easy ways to modify text inside the GUI (without studio) WILL be heavily considered for integration.

In the same idea, completely new menus to replace current features (like Stanger89's import menu) are fairly easy to include, and if you make something cool and it fits the overall mission of the STV I'll probably include it.

So if that doesn't confuse things, what feaure do YOU want? Make it! If you need help interpreting how things are done in my STV, please feel free to email me (it's not hard to find on my site). I'd be glad to have some other people helping to create new features. If you have a BIG idea that would require re-writing large sections of the STV, it would be prudent to talk to me before you start - I might be working on something similar already, and have some ideas drawn up I can share.

To answer your question directly PGP, nothing in particular - just cool new stuff. There's lots of things that people have been asking for, and now you guys can help make it faster than I could - my current 'to-do' list is about a page long - mostly stuff you all have asked for. If you have requested a feature, and aren't sure if I'm working on it yet, let me know (to make sure I'm actually not working on it) then give it a shot.

Quote:
As for the 3 pane jukebox that abasu did, it does seem to provide a lot more functionality than what is in the box but is doesn't have that easy to use/navigate, natural feel that the rest of your .stv does. I think it'd be good to scrape some ideas from but will need a better ui metaphor to become part of your .stv.
Take a look at my response to silkshadow below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
Crashless, I was just reading another thread, where a Meedio developer was asking about porting over his plugins to Sage (how awsome is that!), and it gave me an idea. I am emailing DHill, of the Meedio JRMC plugin, and asking him if he could possibly port over his plugin to Sage now that studio is released. I have no idea what is involved with that, at all, so maybe you could contact him as well and see if it is a possibility to integrate with your STV? Besides the cost of buying all the additional client lisences, JRMC integration is the only thing keeping me from switching over to Sage full time (and meetvshows though less so) on most of my HTPCs and a single HTPC app is something I have wanted for a long time.
That's a great idea. The biggest hurdle for this project (FWIW this has been discussed a LOT among STV developers), is a Java/COM wrapper to allow interaction. If we have any Java/COM experts out there, please speak up - we'd love to get your input on this idea.

My only issue with going DHill's route is that he charges for his plugin. Not that I blame him - it's a lot of work, but if we can have someone write an original one for SageTV users out of the goodness of their heart, wouldn't that be better?

Quote:
In that vein, would you ever consider an importer from the mysql meetvshows database into Sage? It is just a small question as I do not know if this is an ok thing to do or not.
Hmm, so have SageTV read a Meedio database file to get information? Interesting idea. I hadn't thought about it, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't be done. It would be kind of a niche plugin though, personally, I'm trying to get rid of Meedio on my system.

Honest question: How would this be used with Sage? Because SageTV already gets all it's metadata from the EPG. Does meetvshows get it from somewhere else that's better?

Quote:
I knew that ... just not thinking ...
I do that all the time.

Woah - long post. Sorry. But thank you all for your thoughts. I'm really excited for the next couple of months, lots of innovation to come.
Old 11-04-2005, 01:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
Does meetvshows get it from somewhere else that's better?
meetvshows pulls series/episode information from a user developed web site, here. It gives users the ability to add/update show information, and can also pull info from tv.com. Pulling info from the EPG won't suffice for most people, since many of us have collections on DVD that are no longer airing.
Old 11-04-2005, 02:08 PM
Sage Icon

That site looks really cool. I can see how that would be good if you got your shows from an external source. It looks like it just pulls data down from a website, and it might make things relatively easy to implement in SageTV if we can get a java parser. Since nielm has already written a java imdb parser, we might be able to get this working in Sage without re-inventing the wheel.

I've contacted walts81 (meetvshows's developer) about helping us out.

PGPFan - this is the kind of thing people could help out with if they wanted to get their feet wet.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:45 PM
Sage User

KJake hates me! Followed directions. Not using sageclient. Burn process starts and I get Adding Text for "show name" then it does nothing. Hmm?

Bug: Channel up/down in media with visualizations changes to the next track, but it doesnt update the song name info in the information bar up top.

Last edited by jasondragon; 11-04-2005 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

I forgot to mention that the site I linked to above was developed as a result of the demise of tvtome.com, which was a very good source for TV show information. The new tv.com had/has issues and is apparently a PITA for developers to work with (for our purposes). It's entirely possible that that is by design though.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
KJake hates me! Followed directions. Not using sageclient. Burn process starts and I get Adding Text for "show name" then it does nothing. Hmm?
Hmm, could you email me your debug logs from the CreateDVD folder? I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what's going on. Have you tried a different show? Also, check that CreateDVD folder for left-over XML files. If there are any in there, run that delXML.bat file (it just deletes *.xml, check it if you want). Then try again.

Quote:
Bug: Channel up/down in media with visualizations changes to the next track, but it doesnt update the song name info in the information bar up top.
Ah, a bug! I'll make sure that gets fixed - thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue
I forgot to mention that the site I linked to above was developed as a result of the demise of tvtome.com, which was a very good source for TV show information. The new tv.com had/has issues and is apparently a PITA for developers to work with (for our purposes). It's entirely possible that that is by design though.
I got a reply from walts - he gave me the methods for interfacing with the site. I'm going to take a look and see what's going to have to be done, is anyone interested in helping out with this project - it's kinda big, and I'd love a java guru on my side.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Sage Expert

I just want to say: thanks crashless!! Starting my upgrade to v4 this weekend and its not as bad as I thought it was going to be .

I would love to help with the meetvshows importer but I have no real development skills. Is there anything else I can do to help it along? DHill replied to my email and said he would would post about it here after his meedio plugin goes gold.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Crashless,

Liking Meekell more and more every day !

Two questions, one slightly off topic ...

1. Episode numbers in the recordings menu ?

2. What remote are you using ?

Ken C
Old 11-05-2005, 02:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by silkshadow
I just want to say: thanks crashless!! Starting my upgrade to v4 this weekend and its not as bad as I thought it was going to be .

I would love to help with the meetvshows importer but I have no real development skills. Is there anything else I can do to help it along? DHill replied to my email and said he would would post about it here after his meedio plugin goes gold.
Glad to hear it! For meetvshows, I just need to take a look at the interface to the site, and figure out how the best way is to handle the responses in SageTV - this might take a while to get working, as I have a lot of cleaning to do before I undertake a project of this size. Couple weeks before I can start at earliest. If you want to try and recruit someone - that'd be a huge help.

Quote:
Liking Meekell more and more every day !
Great!

Quote:
Two questions, one slightly off topic ...

1. Episode numbers in the recordings menu ?

2. What remote are you using ?
1. Do-able - but again, Episode Numbers are kind of a hack right now due to the way it is displayed in the EPG info, I will take a look at this though - maybe a 'sort by episode #' option?

2. I use a Harmony remote trained with IR codes from the Hauppauge remote. It's a great remote, and the only way my wife lets me continue this hobby of mine.