SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:00 PM

Stupid frontend programmers

I've tried EVERY frontend so far, no matter what , im very pissed off because its such a simple task im trying to do here , yet noone seems to be able to do it right. I've had more luck just playing all this stuff directly from windows, but i want to simplify it so other people can use it.

Im not dissing Sage TV, well maybe i am, all i can say about Sage its the only frontend i used that actually worked ... on some things

Watch DVD - support for DIVX movies that are copied directly on a DVD , why waste disk space putting all ur DIVX files on your HD. 5 or 6 700 meg files can be fit on a DVD.

Music - no dont need that, im using this with a projector, im not wasting bulb hours playing music on it, if i want to play music i'll turn off the frontend, my projector and play it through my 17" LCD.

TV - who cares about the stupid recordings , the menus. The old school method of scrolling through channels is good enough, time is money when using a projector.

My Movies - no , already said. waste of disk space

GAMES. noone supports this ... whats wrong with you all, whats the point of having a HTPC if u cant use it to play video games as well? Very simple, all you need is to add shortcuts. so far only one frontend so far has allowed me to do that, but of course that frontend doesnt support my tv card.

Dual Display mode, would like to be able , if more than one person is watching a movie, and someone doesnt like it, he could always use the internet.

Shutdown PC , or an option to shut off the projector , it can be done when its hooked up with a USB cable.

not asking too much is it?
Old 08-28-2005, 07:43 PM
Sage Fanatic

calling the programmers stupid as your first post to this board isn't likely to make you many friends here. You want games - go buy an Xbox. Post seems like more of a childish rant rather then asking for a new feature.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I have all of those things. Maybe your just not as l33t as some of us.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:41 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Maybe your just not as l33t as some of us.
ROFL!
Old 08-29-2005, 02:21 AM
Sage User

As far as i can tell i think you should be able to do this with a combination of dynamic menus plug and girder to launch other or other remote control software to launch other programmes.

I-mon as a secondary program where you can register apps that you want to launch via the remote.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:27 AM
Sage User

Possibly because not everyone has the same needs as you. My needs are not universal so i deal with it by making use of dynamic menus and just waiting for the product to mature. HTPC's are still a new concept with many bugs to be ironed out.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:30 AM
SageTVaholic

http://www.foundationsmag.com/civility.html
Old 08-29-2005, 10:02 AM
SageTVaholic

http://www.linuxbench.org/Posting.html
Old 08-29-2005, 10:18 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
That never gets old!

Jere
Old 08-29-2005, 10:18 AM

stanger89 that best one I ever saw.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jere_Jones
That never gets old!

Jere
My sentiments exactly
Old 08-29-2005, 12:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
TV - who cares about the stupid recordings , the menus. The old school method of scrolling through channels is good enough, time is money when using a projector.
That statement alone shows that he's looking in the wrong place. Why would someone be looking for a PVR app if they don't plan to use it for that purpose.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:06 PM
Sage Expert

Send a message via Yahoo to cmaffia
I will be polite here.
With so much concern about the usage of his projector, I am not sure that SageTV is for him. I end up watching more TV because of SageTV's functionality. Heck! I get lost sometimes just browsing the program guide and reading IDMB Trivia! If I were him I'd stick to using his projector for games and playing DVD's
Server: Dual Tuner: PVR-150MCE/PVR-250MCE/SageTV v5.02/Asus Pundit-R 2.4GHZ/512MB DDR RAM/250 GB Maxtor HD (8MB Buffer) External Seagate 400GB HD via USB 2.0/Onboard ATI 9100 using SVIDEO TV-Out/Nvidia DVD decoder/Actisys 200L IR Blaster (Dish receiver) USBUIRT (DirectTV receiver)/Lite-On 4X DVD-R/RW/Windows XP Pro SP2/Adesso Mini IR Keyboard w/integrated mouse/Tivo "Peanut" Remote via USBUIRT/Dish Network Model 301/DirectTV subscriber/Webserver Plugin v2.8
Old 08-29-2005, 04:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
OMG - I just about died! Thanks Stanger

Andy.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:58 PM

i think he's speaking out for all HTPC frontends not just sage, and i have to agree with him , theres not many out there you can easily customize to what YOU want, so far the only one i've seen is Meedio and it's not very stable.

The purpose of owning a HTPC isn't just for TV, It can replace pretty much everything in your audio rack - aside from your stereo and TV.

Its a better gaming option than an xbox or ps2 including the xbox 360's, at least graphics cards and cpus can be upgraded. wireless gamepads are avaible for pcs so why bother with a console?

.If ur all just using ur pc's to watch TV, it seems like a waste, besides most TV shows suck now anyway.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:38 PM
Sage Fanatic

Slick,

Keep in mind that many of us don't 'game'.

FWIW, originally the htpc was a replacement for a dedicated hardware video scaler (ie, Faroudja etc.) It has been modded to replace most of the 'rack' which is awesome but that wasn't it's original intent.

If one is so concerned about 'bulb-life' as 007 seems to be, he really should look into the original video projectors (CRT based units) Well over 10,000 hours without need to replace them little flashlight parts .

-PGPfan
Old 08-29-2005, 06:17 PM

lol , they are about 20 grand
Old 08-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Sage User

FWIW, since the topic was opened (to some extent) here's a link to a desktop, shell, thingie which was discussed over at HTPCnews. Might have possibilities for some front end duties.

http://www.sharpe-shell.org/content.php?content.9

BTW, maybe it's the brew or maybe it's the age (or a combination) but as best as I can tell I'm not as l33t as you guys either. I'll take a hit on the ole ego for an explaination. If it's that bad PM me.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:38 PM
SageTVaholic

What exactly is the problem here?

You want a scaler? Dscaler/ffdshow.

You want a PVR? SageTV.

You want home automation? Girder.

You want a menuing system? Pick from the tens of options.

What is missing? Someone to do it all for you? Hire a professional.

You want it all on a silver platter? Take the spoon out of your mouth.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:13 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick
i think he's speaking out for all HTPC frontends not just sage, and i have to agree with him , theres not many out there you can easily customize to what YOU want, so far the only one i've seen is Meedio and it's not very stable.
Oh, there's stuff out there, just nothing that does it out of the box, to elaborate on salsbst's points:

PVR - SageTV
Menu system - Meedio, Xlobby, Mainlobby (very powerful), CQC.

Quote:
The purpose of owning a HTPC isn't just for TV, It can replace pretty much everything in your audio rack - aside from your stereo and TV.
The "purpose" of an HTPC is entirely deterimined by the user, being the open platform it is, it can do as much, or as little as one wants. Although, being an open platform, getting it to do exactly what you want will take work.

Quote:
Its a better gaming option than an xbox or ps2 including the xbox 360's, at least graphics cards and cpus can be upgraded. wireless gamepads are avaible for pcs so why bother with a console?
Because the games are better. PCs do have a hardware advantage (although it will take them a bit to catch up to the next gen of consoles), but nothing on the PC is anywhere near as well thought out, excecuted, or integrated as a console. If you're into FPS, PCs are great for gaming, but they are sorely lacking in most other genres. I've bought more games for my Xbox than I ever did for my PC (depite "playing PC games" longer) and I've finished a higher percentage of them. PCs have a technical edge in that they are refreshed more often, but that's also a downside as game developers have less time to develop for the cutting edge of PCs (as it's a moving target) and have to develop for a wide range of hardware/performance levels.

Quote:
.If ur all just using ur pc's to watch TV, it seems like a waste, besides most TV shows suck now anyway.
That's pretty easy with the sheer number of programs, but my HTPC, especially with SageTV has been a savior of my TV viewing, I watch things I wouldn't otherwise see (due to the time they air) and I watch a much higher percentage of "good" stuff since Sage "hand picks" the good stuff for me.