SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 11-03-2005, 12:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Holy FUDGE!

Not that I doubted them, but they weren't kidding about Studio not being a very WYSIWYG-type of development tool.

I opened up Cayer's STV to look for (and hopefully sniver) his "external player" code, and I was opening up tree after tree of settings, programming, and displays.

Holy FUDGE this is a very complex beast.

Not to worry - I enjoy a challenge! But wow. Quite impressive that our current batch of STV writers were able to craft the GUIs they did using this tool. Definately not for the faint of heart!

...and oh yeah - Thanks Sage folks for releasing this! I anticipate this forum will explode with activity in the coming weeks.
-Greg
Old 11-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Sage Icon

i second that..all of it including the complexity of studio. I have basically decided to leave the imports and tweaking up to those more technically challenged than I am. But, I am certainly willing to test them I was more of an advocate for releasing studio because there is a wealth of tallented programmers here that can definately take this somewhere, not because I personally would have the skills....very impressive what people have done with studio so far though though, very impressive.
JUC
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 11-03-2005, 12:35 PM

The best part is most of us started before there were any manuals. Trial and error . It seems daunting at first, but at some point it just clicks.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:12 PM
Administrator

I suggest that new users at least go through at least the first tutorial & the 4 examples in chapter 8 of the Studio PDF manual to get a feel for doing some basic edits. The other tutorial sets are not exciting, but they should give a better feel for how all the various widgets interact.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:48 PM
SageTVaholic

I was waiting for this thread, since the first I first saw studio

It is very daunting at first, but once you do a bit of stuff, you kind of get used to it. Of course there's a ton of stuff I haven't figured out yet.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:40 PM
Sage Icon

I had a long response all written up, but with the forums so slammed right now it got lost.

Stanger and mlbdude summed it up though - keep at it, it'll eventually make a LOT of sense and you'll be able to do stuff on purpose the first time, rather than trial and error.

It's also one of those few programs that makes more sense after reading the manual (like SageTV core & it's manual), so read it and go through the tutorials. It seems lame to do this, but you'll be glad you did.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Doh!
Anyway - I've already had my first small sucesses with Studio.

of course, all I really did was sniver code from one STV and place it into another to enable some functionality that didn't exist in the original, but I got it working.

This is one serious programming tool. The chains seem to make sense, and following the italics and bolds makes sense too. Just have to determine what they actually DO!
Old 11-03-2005, 04:22 PM
Sage Expert

It reminds me a LOT of the pronto remote control software but with a CRAPLOAD more options upon first examination.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggerm
This is one serious programming tool. The chains seem to make sense, and following the italics and bolds makes sense too. Just have to determine what they actually DO!
Italics are things that link somewhere, and Bolds are things that have stuff linked to them.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:45 PM
Sage Icon

A hint it took me a while to figure out because I didn't RTFM:

Double clicking an itallic (a refrence) wiget will take you to the chain it is refrencing.

It's a great way to re-use code (themes especially).
Old 11-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggerm
It's all in the manual. (Page 10, in this case, for italicized vs. bolded.)

BTW -- it may have been noticed already, but I started a new topic for Getting started with Studio.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashless
A hint it took me a while to figure out because I didn't RTFM:
There wasn't a very complete manual when you started, was there?

- Andy
Old 11-03-2005, 04:58 PM
Sage Icon

Uhhh....yeah! No manual at all! It was me and the code man, that's all - just me and the code....

Old 11-03-2005, 05:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
It's all in the manual. (Page 10, in this case, for italicized vs. bolded.)
Aaaactually, I did know what the bolding and italics meant, but I don't yet know what the underlying words, widgets, and willywonkas actually mean. (I misphrased my thoughts above)

I had the manual printed this morning and I've been R.'ing T.M. over the course of the day!

I should probably eat some dinner.
-Greg
Old 11-03-2005, 06:24 PM
Sage Icon

I'm still deciding whether to learn Studio or not, it is a little daunting at first glance. I might sit and wait for others to make some cool things with it and just download it instead. But then I always wanted to build my own STV, especially the Music and Pictures menus, I'm surprise 4.0 didn't overhaul these outdated menus. I would to have something cool to replace it. Maybe I'll dwelled into studio this weekend, start ny reading the manual.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 11-04-2005, 12:25 AM
Sage Icon

So who's gonna create the first Studio CBT !!! I'd pay for that !!

Or maybe a webcast training session ... That would be way cool too !!!

So much to learn, so little time ... I am so impatient ... I don;t want to take the time to learn, but want to use the tool ...

Will there be Sage Summer Camp next year ???

Seriously though ... What would be recommended as a good starting point class to take that would give you the best foundation for Studio ... Would it be a standard basic Java Class? Any of these a good startng point ... Especially the Online ANYTIME??

Java Classes

T.

Last edited by mightyt; 11-04-2005 at 02:16 AM.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Just use it. Start with a simple goal (like re-arrange the main menu, add something, take something away). Then once you've done that, move on to something a bit more complex. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Java stuff won't really help you that much, unless you start needing to use Java directly. On the other hand, if you've never done any programming, going through some Java tutorials on the web (Sun's got a few) might be good, since there are really two aspects to programming, the syntax (which is rather simple to pick up, especially if you've got a reference) and the thought process, which is what is really "taught" in classes.

But yeah, if you've got even a bit of programming experience (even scripting) the best way to "learn" Studio, IMO, is to pick a goal, and figure it out.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:17 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89
But yeah, if you've got even a bit of programming experience (even scripting) the best way to "learn" Studio, IMO, is to pick a goal, and figure it out.
Exactly what I did - of course, my goal was to hack out some functionality from another STV and bring it into 4.0 natively....

But I was sucessful! Along the way I added some basic functionality that I would use, such as a delete button to the "yellow" options popup menu while watching a show, etc.

I am SURE frustrated people (myself included) will be the norm in this forum as time goes on. Right now I feel like a deer caught in the headlights, but at least I was able to make it over to the side of the road on yesterdays little experimental project.

I'm not a hardcore programmer, but this type of scripting and customizing has always been of interest. We'll see where it can take me!

-Greg
Old 11-04-2005, 07:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

wow!
Old 11-06-2005, 10:03 PM
Sage Icon

Thanks All ...

Will take your advice and try out the ol'Learn By Doing approach first ...

I was able to pick up modifying XML files by just using Nielm's Dynamic Menus and Salsbast's WRS ... so ... who knows maybe it will click for me over time !!

T.