SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 08-15-2003, 12:21 PM
Sage Expert

Moving SageTV to a new PC

I just finished building my new HTPC to go in my livingroom. I currently have SageTV installed on my main PC. Is there a way to move Sage to the new PC and keep all settings/shows? Can I just copy the SageTV directory from the main PC to the HTPC and then install Sage? I have about 200 gigs of shows and I'd hate to lose all of the descriptions and such. Thanks much!
Old 08-15-2003, 12:57 PM

Yes you can do that copy the SageTV folder over to new system
Old 08-15-2003, 03:20 PM
Sage Advanced User

Changing the Client machines has caused me problems.

I installed the demo versions of Sage TV on my server and the Client on my desktop computer. Yesterday, I purchased the licenses for both and typed the key in and all was well. I then decided I may want to use the client on my laptop instead, so I installed it and (unfortunately) used the same key to register it figuring I would just uninstall it off my desktop so that I wonít be using the same key on two different computers (and violatiing the license agreement). Well, after about 10 minutes of use, I decided that I didn't want to use the client on my laptop and uninstalled it (so that I would only be using the client on one machine- the desktop). When I went back to my desktop, it wouldn't let me connect the client to the server. Does anyone know how to fix this so that I can use it on my desktop computer again? I tried to re-register it on my desktop as is described in the Troubleshooting section the web page, but that didnít fix it. Again, I only want to use the one key on only one computer, but now I canít use it. I e-mailed Fry Support yesterday, but haven't heard back yet.

Does any one know how to fix this?

Thanks,
Old 08-15-2003, 04:45 PM
Sage

jglev, restart the SageTV server app, that'll fix it

White94Cobra,
As long as the drive letters will be the same on the new PC for the SageTV folder and all of your media files, then you'll have no problems. Just copy the SageTV folder like SHS said.

Sage doesn't really store anything in the registry, so everything you need is in your Sage.properties & Wiz.bin files.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:46 PM
Sage

You do of course need to run the actual SageTV installer on the new PC. Just thought I'd mention it.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
jglev, restart the SageTV server app, that'll fix it
Thanks Jeff (and thanks for the e-mail response too), but that didn't work. I keep getting the following error message:

"Unable to connect to the SageTV Server at:xxxx java.net.socket timeoutException:Read timed out "

I also tried re-installing (using the repair feature), but that didn't work either.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Last edited by jglev; 08-15-2003 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:49 PM
Sage

Oh yeah....I forgot about that. Did the old machine name and the new machine name happen to have the same number of letters in their names? (if they don't, it'd help if they did)

The file entries in the DB indicate what machine they came from for networking purposes, so those need to be updated to the new machine name. You need to do a search and replace in the Wiz.bin file of your old machine name and change it to your new machine name. They MUST be the same number of characters, if not, the Wiz file will be unreadable.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by Narflex
Oh yeah....I forgot about that. Did the old machine name and the new machine name happen to have the same number of letters in their names? (if they don't, it'd help if they did)

The file entries in the DB indicate what machine they came from for networking purposes, so those need to be updated to the new machine name. You need to do a search and replace in the Wiz.bin file of your old machine name and change it to your new machine name. They MUST be the same number of characters, if not, the Wiz file will be unreadable.
No, they didn't have the same number of letters/characters. I did a search for the laptop computer's name and the desktop computer's name (the one I want to use the client on) in the Wiz file, but didn't find either. Should I just uninstall SageTV from the server, delete the directory and re-install it? Would that fix it?

Thanks again,
Old 08-15-2003, 06:23 PM

jglev did you even enable the SageTV Server dbl check it or your Network not setup rigth could be the IP or Subent or Workgroup Name dbl check everthing over.
Old 08-15-2003, 06:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Smile

Thanks SHS. Yes, I had the sever enabled and everything had been working fine.

Just to update everyone, I was also having a problem with the EPG having invalid data. Jeff and I have been trading e-mails and he solved both problems. I had a corrupted wiz.bin file. He told me to delete the wiz.bin and the backup. When I restarted SageTV, it re-downloaded the EPG correctly and now the Client works too!!

For anyone considering buying Sage, don't hesitate. Just do it! The program is fantastic and the support is the best there is!!!

Thanks again Jeff!!
Old 08-17-2003, 06:24 PM
Sage Expert

Well I attempted to move this weekend. I copied all of my mpeg files to the new PC (same drive/directory structure), copied the "Frey Technologies" directory under "Program Files", replaced the old PC name with the new one in the wiz file, and then installed the same version of SageTV that I was running on the old machine.
...No go. Sage would start but trying to play any files would cause it to immediately exit. I tried several things and now end up with a "Priming seeker" message that won't go away. I'm considering starting from scratch, but then I'd lose over 200 gigs of shows and all of my favorites settings/priorities. I'm regretting the change!
Old 08-18-2003, 09:12 AM
SageTV Co-Founder

I believe that after you install SageTV, you need to then copy the Wiz and Sage.properties files so they are there when you start SageTV for the first time. If you copy everything and then install SageTV, it will overwrite the files you copied.
Old 08-18-2003, 10:45 AM
Sage

FYI - The installer doesn't overwrite Sage.properties or Wiz.bin/Wiz.bak.

White94Cobra, Can you email your log files to support, then I can tell you what happened and how to fix it.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:22 PM
Sage Expert

I just decided to start from scratch again. I wrote down all of my settings/favorites from my old install and re-entered them into the new install. I'll just keep the old install running long enough to watch the remaining shows and then delete it (there are no tuners in that machine anymore). Hope that doesn't violate the license agreement too much.

Is it possible to run SageClient and SageTV on the same PC? If so, could I connect the client to my old install and watch what's remaining? That way can watch them on my TV instead of my PC monitor. Thanks much!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:45 PM
Sage

Yes, you can run SageTV & SageTVClient on the same PC at once.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:27 AM
Sage User

Does the licensing information transfer from the old PC to the new one also or does it remain on the old PC? If you remove Sage from the old PC and remove the Frey Technologies directory have you effectively removed your licensing information from that PC? Iíve done this and then put a beta version back on this old PC to experiment with expecting to see a 10-day trial version never seeing a screen to enter a registration key. What does that mean?
Old 08-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Sage

There isn't a way to remove a license key from a machine without wiping the OS, but there's an easy way to enter a new one. Just go to DOS, cd into the SageTV directory and type:
SageTV.exe REGISTER

If you're moving your SageTV install to a new machine, then you shouldn't be using SageTV on the old machine anymore. And if you are, then you should get a license key for each machine, since you'd then be running two copies of SageTV.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:54 PM
Sage User

This brings me to another question. Hypothetically then if I have a system that Iíve used and installed my copy of sage TV on and now I decide to build a bigger and better system and sell it or give my old one to someone, I uninstall and delete the program and directory. I transfer my files to the new computer and install my copy of the program. Now the new owner of this old system buys their own version of Sage and installs it and now runs this program thinking that theyíve installed there own copy but in reality there still running the program under the original owners license without them even knowing it. A lot of people here have moved their software to a different system probably not realizing that there old system still has the license key. Could this happen? There has to be someway to remove this so that any re-installation of the program requires a new entry of the registration.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Sage

If you're transferring the system to another owner, and you're not also giving them the licenses to all of the software that is installed on that PC, you should reinstall the operating system to prevent unintended transfer of software licenses.

The reason there's no way to remove it without an OS reinstall is because it would give an easy path to circumvent the license simply by re-using the trial period repeatedly.
Old 09-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Sage User

I have a similar question. I had a client machine where I had sage cilent up & running. Today, I installed a new disk on that machine, and the disk letters got moved around. Now, when I try to connect to the server, I get an error:

java.io.IOException: You may NOT re-use the same SageTVClient license on more than one machine!

How do I fix this?