SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-19-2005, 10:01 PM
Sage User

Dishnetwork ?

I have a question for anyone with a dish network dual tuner receiver such as the 322, 622, 942. I have TWC at this time but was thinking of witching to Dish only because as I add set top boxes to my service it’s starting to get expensive. These Dish receivers have 2 separate outputs with independent tuning if used in the dual user mode. The remotes include an IR and UHF. From what I’ve read the UHF remote also sends out IR signals. Are these IR signals sent by the UHF remote just controlling the TV2 tuning? Could a dual tuner SageTV setup with a Dish network unit such as the 622, 322, or 942 control both TV1 and TV2 separately to change channels accordingly using an Actisys IR-200L? Just curious if anyone is doing this or if it could be done? Thanks for and info.
Old 12-20-2005, 07:31 AM

When it come to Dish 322, 622, 942 there no way of controlling the TV2 tuning sorry.
Yes that rigth the UHF remote also sends out IR signals only work TV, VCR, DVD Player, etc, etc but dish box IR input is only controlling the TV1 tuning.
Old 05-29-2007, 08:42 PM

Any update on 322?

Any update since the reply was first posted. I would really like a way to use SageTV on only my second tuner out of the 322 reciever. The main line out is often in use by kids and I have my shows on the 2nd line. A

Has anybody else attempted to use SageTV to control the second tuner on the 322? I poked around the forum a bit and didn't find any other updates.

EDIT: Ok, I didn't look hard enough. The last post I saw was about 7 months ago and said to forget it. Does anybody have some tips on how to use the 322 with Sage so that the secondary TV is the one controlled by it?

Thanks.

Last edited by macNCheeseB; 05-29-2007 at 08:52 PM. Reason: update
Old 05-29-2007, 10:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

The problem is that it's controlled by RF (Radio Frequency) instead of the standard ir (infrared) that the first tuner is. Since nobody makes any kind of pc controlled 'blaster' for RF, there is no chance for Sage (or any other software for that matter) to control it. Sorry.

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 05-30-2007, 06:55 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGPfan View Post
The problem is that it's controlled by RF (Radio Frequency) instead of the standard ir (infrared) that the first tuner is. Since nobody makes any kind of pc controlled 'blaster' for RF, there is no chance for Sage (or any other software for that matter) to control it. Sorry.

-PGPfan
It really is too bad someone doesn't make an RF blaster for this. Would really save some people some green. When I was thinking about going Dish Network (for all their HD channels), I was talking to the sales guy and he kept trying to push the dual tuner (even though I knew I couldn't use it with Sage and readily told him in my setup it wouldn't work) and gave up and stayed with Cable.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

I also have the 322. I just set tuner 2 to the channel I most frequently record from (I have kids, so we record a lot of Noggin) and leave it there. Then I created a second channel line up and removed all channels but Noggin.It's a poor work around, but at least I get something out of that second tuner.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the info. Too bad there is not an IR receiver on the second tuner. I'll try to figure something out.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Sage Fanatic

Pumping some life into a long-dead thread. I will refrain from asking if anything has changed, because google tells me that answer is no.

But my question is, can I get a 622 and use it in dual mode, so that one tuner is connected to sage either by my hauppauge hdpvr or r5000, and the other exists independently for use on its own including its own built in dvr?

My goal is to have a backup recording method because the Mrs. may never be on board with an exclusively sage setup, but also to get another dish hd tuner (in addition to my existing 211 r5000). Given that sage can only control one of the tuners, would this fit the bill?

If it's in dual mode, can conflicts ever occur if the 622 is recording something and sage wants to change channels, or is it truly setup as if there were two independent receivers that know nothing of each other?
Old 08-21-2008, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrcp2000 View Post
Pumping some life into a long-dead thread. I will refrain from asking if anything has changed, because google tells me that answer is no.

But my question is, can I get a 622 and use it in dual mode, so that one tuner is connected to sage either by my hauppauge hdpvr or r5000, and the other exists independently for use on its own including its own built in dvr?

My goal is to have a backup recording method because the Mrs. may never be on board with an exclusively sage setup, but also to get another dish hd tuner (in addition to my existing 211 r5000). Given that sage can only control one of the tuners, would this fit the bill?

If it's in dual mode, can conflicts ever occur if the 622 is recording something and sage wants to change channels, or is it truly setup as if there were two independent receivers that know nothing of each other?

If I had to guess, the answer would be no. I am sure the software within the 622 would pick any tuner it thinks is "available" when it needs to record and since it doesn't see Sage as using "consuming" a tuner, it could change the channel mid recording by Sage. Now, MAYBE if you could guarentee that you were always only recording one show by the dish DVR...you MIGHT get lucky...but to be honest it isn't worth the headaches...
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 PM
Sage User

RF/UHF Blaster For Dish Network Dual Receivers

I found a link on knoppmyth wiki that shows how to convert a Dish 322 Remote (or any other Dish dual receiver Remote??) to a RF blaster using the Parallel port that would allow the second Receiver to be used to record. Being for MythTV it runs under Linux but should be easily converted to SageTV.
It requires that a Dish Remote be opened up and about 12 wires attached to the Number and Select key pads and -Battery. An external circuit board with 11 transistor and resisters interfaces this to a parallel port connector. Not a big project for one "skilled in the art".
The Software Driver provided is a short program in C involving a case statement that drives the port pins for 1/4 second to simulate a key press. If someone knows how to write a similar program for Sage then this could work.

Writeup and Pictures:
http://www.knoppmythwiki.org/index.p...ter+for+tuner2

Schematic:
http://home.windstream.net/jkarl18/D...-schematic.JPG

Driver:
http://home.windstream.net/jkarl18/dish-uhf-ch-2.c.txt

Tags
dish network, rf blaster