SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-03-2006, 11:57 AM
Sage User

Stuttering and Pixelation at the Source

Ok, I have been pulling my hair out trying to resolve a problem I have been having with pixilation and stuttering video on my Sage box. I've tried all combinations of decoders / encoders / recoders / upcoders / downcoders only to be baffled at every turn.

Last night, the wife tells me she has seen the same problem on a TV that is just plugged into a wall jack in the kitchen! I never look at it since it is not Sage-afied.

I have digital cable run to the house with only one STB (at the Sage box). We also have High speed internet pulled from the cable system. My wife works at home and probably pulls a lot of bandwidth during the day. Come to think of it, the files on the Sage box that continually have problems are usually recorded between 8:00 - 5:00.

For those of you who have a better technical understanding of digital cable / HSI:

1) Can the high speed internet bandwidth interfere with the video quality coming over the same pipe?

2) Can you think of anything I can do to minimize this interference?

3) Any thoughts / comments / suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2006, 10:35 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath on this. I've been having this problem since version 4 came out. I contacted customer support about the problems, and they pretty much blew me off.

In fact, I'm ready to go back to a prior release. Does anybody know where I can get ahold of the exe file for version 3?
Old 04-23-2006, 11:39 AM

Quote:
1) Can the high speed internet bandwidth interfere with the video quality coming over the same pipe?
This can depand a lot of facter have you tested it with out using the internet?.
Being you said it happing at day time I take it that 8:00 - 5:00 is 8:00AM to 5:00PM?, What about nigth and late nigths time?.

Quote:
2) Can you think of anything I can do to minimize this interference?
A Drop Amplifier may help like ELECTROLINE or PDI
Take some time read this so you know what you need.
http://www.cabletvamplifiers.com/Inf..._EDUCATION.htm
Old 04-23-2006, 11:43 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunkyou
I wouldn't hold my breath on this. I've been having this problem since version 4 came out. I contacted customer support about the problems, and they pretty much blew me off.

In fact, I'm ready to go back to a prior release. Does anybody know where I can get ahold of the exe file for version 3?
Lakeman said the problem is also present on a TV not connected to Sage, which means it doesn't appear to be Sage related.
Old 04-23-2006, 11:55 AM

krunkyou your problem has nothing do with his porblem in fact your problem has be becuase you install a 3rdparty plug-in trying to attempts to convert the MPEG in DivX file which SageTV dose not support.
By the way Hyperthreading has been know to cuases problem and one biggest joke things that intel has ever come up with you should try disable it.
Old 04-23-2006, 12:25 PM
Sage Advanced User

Send a message via ICQ to MrApollinax Send a message via AIM to MrApollinax
SHS, the avi wrapper is being applied by the plextor's own drivers. Sage will allow for DivX recording because the plextor allows it. As i said in another thread i know that one of the plextor usb capture devices have been reported to have problems with HT and that the recommendation is to turn off HT. Since all the plextor ubs capture devices have the same basic design it wouldn't surprise me that they all would have the same problem.

i solved the resource problem i had seen with my system by recording in MEPG2 and not DivX. With my DC system i would see one of the cores peak when trying to wrap the recorded file while the other core was being used for other processes. Since the DivX recording didn't really gain much space because the compression ratio wasn't very good i stopped recording in DivX and manually compress the shows I want to keep. I haven't seen a problem like that ever since. Also just to point out, the problem also happened when I used WinTV to record with the Plextor.
Router: Dlink DGL-4300

Using Wireshark to Troubleshoot Network Issues with your SageTV Setup