SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-11-2006, 10:31 AM
Sage Aficionado

i can now hear my pc through my speakers

Howdy,

My system was running fine, no hum through the speakers.
I moved the equipement from one room to the other, keeping everything exactly the same.

Now I have a noise, like a high pitch humm that also sometimes ticks very fast.
I know that its the PC because if I remove the digital link between it and the amp, it goes away. The strange this is it still makes the noise if the PC is powered off.

Any ideas please?

thanks,
Simon.
Old 01-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Sage Aficionado

Just discovered more!

When I am in the prgrame guide as i move the cursor from one program block to another I hear a flutter as it moves into the new block.
Also, when the windows screensaver kicks in, i get a lot of noise as the first picture appears, then none for the next few pictures, then a load more.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Possibly some internal wiring in the PC has shifted near a power line or a fan or something and causing this interference. Maybe re-route your internal wiring.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-11-2006, 01:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Are you using the mini (1/8") connectors or digital only? I have found that over time the mini connectors can corode which will allow extra noise to be sent in the signal line to the amplifier. Sometimes a twist of the connector in the socket can clean the corrosion off to restore a good connection. Is the line out too low in the computer's sound control panel? That can cause the mixer to pick up internal computer noise.

Is this a hum or actual hard drive noise from the computer? If the noise is there when the computer is turned off it may be a ground loop. If you have a coax cable type digital out that may be causing the ground loop?

Try unplugging all the other input cables from the amplifier except the digital in from the PC and temporarily lifting the ground wire on the amplifier's power cord to see if the hum goes away. If it does, you have a ground loop between the amp and the computer. If not, some other component is causing the loop. You need to plug in each component into the amp one at a time to see which one (or combination of devices) causes the hum.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks for the advice.

I will try moving the internal wiring.

the only thing plugged into the amp is the PC and when I unplug the digital link the problem goes away.
Yes I can hear the hards disk through the speakers.

I have heard of ground loop hum, as I am using mains sockets in a different room that might be it. Only thing is, my amp doesnt have a ground, its two pin only, but I am using a coax connection.

I guess this means I should try grounding the chassis to a radiator.
okay, grounded the chassis of the amp to a radiator and it makes no differance

Last edited by edgley; 01-11-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to teknubic Send a message via AIM to teknubic Send a message via MSN to teknubic Send a message via Yahoo to teknubic
My cable company was the culpret of a sound you're describing. Try disconnecting your coax connections from the wall.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:20 PM

edgley what kind service are you on Sat or Cable ?.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

i dont use a cable box. I am connected to my sat box via svideo.
But nothing like that has changed. the only thing is the room and the wall sockets that the pc is connected to. I
I have another pc in the same room, connected digital to another amp, and no problem with that.

Last edited by edgley; 01-11-2006 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 05:34 PM

First this you want to do is dbl check by unpluging and repluging all cable and reseat the all PCI cards in the PC box.
But it must likely a audio ground loop.
You most like need Ground Loop Isolator which can pick at RadioShack
Model: 270-054 or Catalog: 270-054
Old 01-11-2006, 05:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

I am connected digital to my amp! (3rd time mentioned in thread )
Old 01-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgley
the only thing plugged into the amp is the PC and when I unplug the digital link the problem goes away.
Yes I can hear the hards disk through the speakers.
Where is your PC's power cord plugged in? Hopefully, I misread the post, but do not plug your PC into your Amp for power (many do have power outlets on them).

If the PC isn't plugged into the amp, are they plugged into a power strip, UPS, or other device, or are they plugged directly into the wall outlet?

Also, if you are using a sound card (instead of the sound output from your motherboard), try removing/reseating the sound card - sometimes when a computer gets move the cards will "creep" out of their slots a bit, which can cause trouble.

Since you are using a coaxial digital connection, a ground issue is a possibility. Make sure that the computer and amp are on the same power circuit and phase (the same wall outlet).
Old 01-11-2006, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I am connected digital to my amp! (3rd time mentioned in thread )
Well if you using SVideo and not also using the audio input to the PVR card that mean you have major sync problem which is not the rigth way agian your miss the point to audio ground loop
Old 01-12-2006, 04:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

the pc is not powered via the amp, both of them run off the same mains socket.

Maybe I am missing the point, but the amp is not grounded as it is only a two pins mains plug. i tried grounding it from the chassis to a radiator but it made no differance.

I will try re-seating all the cards later today as that makes the most sense as all that I have done is move equipemnt from one room to another.

as well as the s-video connection I also have the audio fed into the PVR from my digitial sat STB.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:03 AM

Quote:
I know that its the PC because if I remove the digital link between it and the amp, it goes away. The strange this is it still makes the noise if the PC is powered off.
Due to fact that you said this above that maybe where you need the Ground Loop Isolator at PVR to your Digitial Sat STB.
And it also possable that Ground Loop maybe going though the S/Video connection as well or even be come from Sat Cable.

Also take some time read though this
http://www.epanorama.net/documents/groundloop/
Old 01-12-2006, 08:39 AM
Sage Aficionado

thank you, I shall.
Old 01-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have started to rad the article, and one of the first things I came across is this:

Examples of hum-free systems with one ground connection

* Typical home stereo system where all components have ungrounded (two pin) mains connectors. The stereo system is connected to PC soundcard (PC has grounded powwr connector). sic

as all of my equipement (Amp, Sat) execpt the PC are two pins does this not mean that it can not be a ground loop issue?