SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 03-14-2006, 08:08 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sage, Showanalyzer & Videoredo

Does anyone have this combination working? What I would like is to have Sage record, SA mark commercials, and Videoredo to process the video automatically. I had this setup working in GBPVR, but, I'm really wanting to switch to Sage. Any help or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

yep, works for me just fine just the way you've said.
Been using SageTV that way for 4 months. SageTV will also automatically skip the commercials while watching your recorded show within sagetv.
Goes like this"

SageTV records.
Analyzer/dirmon runs in backround to mark commercials.
File is made in same directory where recorded show is with the commercial info from analyzer.
Watch recorded show within sagetv and it will autoskip commercials (no need for remote). Commericials are really still there but marked.
I use Videoredo to make a new MPG file without the commercials for recording to DVD. Analyzer's file can be read by Videoredo with the commerical info. So no need to do anything in Videoredo.

I'm not sure if Videoredo can run from the command line. Should check.

I picked sagetv mainly for this reason. All the other packages (maybe beyondtv) didn't do this automatically without remote intervention.
SageTV 4.1 / JVC Analog TV 27"/ 2.93G speed Computer/ 512mb Ram/ Pvr-150 / 45 Hauppage remote / Verto GeForce FX 5500 128mb svideo out/ Dishnetwork 501 box/VideoRedo Plus/ShowAnalyzer/DVDStyler Free Mpeg to Dvd recorder
Old 03-14-2006, 09:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

If I understand you, if a program that is run through SA will play in sage and automatically skip commercials during playback? (Fast forward?) I then assume you run Videoredo manually on the file?
Old 03-14-2006, 09:36 AM
SageTVaholic

As the show is being recorded it's scanned by ShowAnalyzer, which creates a text file that has the information about where the commercials are.

Sage can read the text file and automatically jump past the commercials each time you watch the show. The skipping is pretty much seamless.

ShowAnalyzer can output a file containing commercial location that videoredo can read. Basically if all you want to do is skip over commercials while viewing TV you don't need videoredo. If you want to remove the commercials and store the videos for a long period of time you need to run videoredo manually so that you can adjust for possible errors in the detection. It's possible to have videoredo run automatically, but most people don't trust commercial detection enough to actually cut out the commercials without checking the marks first.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrap
If I understand you, if a program that is run through SA will play in sage and automatically skip commercials during playback? (Fast forward?) I then assume you run Videoredo manually on the file?
You need to configure SA to output detection info to comskip and videoredo formats. Nielm has a plugin which enables comskip usage in Sage. No need to install comskip, just his plugin.

B

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12194
Old 03-14-2006, 09:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Great guys! This is just what I wanted in the fact that it skips commercials. Just made up my mind to purchase Sagetv.