SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 04-18-2006, 08:28 PM
Sage

SageTV V4.1.14 Release Candidate Is Available

Hello all! SageTV 4.1.14 Release Candidate is now available.

SageTV V4.1.14 Release Candidate Release Notes 4/18/06

This is a RELEASE CANDIDATE please report any and all bugs that you find!!

Here's the notes from the first release on Placeshifting it in case it's new to you (be sure to read the IMPORTANT note at the end):

Placeshifting adds a new client program that allows the user to connect to their SageTV system from anywhere on the Internet. The placeshifting client has the full SageTV UI and it can also stream live/recorded audio & video. It will be known as the SageTV Placeshifter.

This release also includes the Locator feature of SageTV which can be used with placeshifting. The Locator feature allows the Placeshifter to find the IP address of your home server automatically. It does this through a 16-digit unique ID that is generated by SageTV. You can find this ID in System Information or in Detailed Setup->Advanced. Information on disabling this feature is in the release notes.

This release also includes automated UPnP setup of the port forwarding for the Placeshifter if you have a UPnP enabled router.

There's a few things you should know about placeshifting:
1. To setup the Placeshifter, the easiest way is to go through the main configuration wizard again.
2. IMPORTANT: The licensing for the Placeshifter is done on the server. It uses the same licensing as the SageTV Media Extender. They share the same trial period as well. After the trial is up you will need to have a Media Extender license installed on the server for each simultaneous connection you want to have for either a Media Extender or a Placeshifter.

That was the attempt to get you to read some of the more important release notes. And here's the download links:

SageTV
http://download.sage.tv/SageTV_V4_1_14Setup.exe

SageTV Client
http://download.sage.tv/SageTVClient_V4_1_14Setup.exe

SageTV Placeshifter
http://download.sage.tv/SageTVPlaces..._1_14Setup.exe

See this post for info about running just the placeshifter on a Windows PC w/o installing the full client. Or for running the Placeshifter on any Java-enabled platform (without video).

SageTV V4.1.14 Release Notes 4/18/06

Core Updates
1. Fixed bug where SageTVClient wouldn't download images from the server correctly.
2. Added the '*' key to be the '-' command in SageTV for the MCE & Hauppauge remote controls
3. Fixed temporary leak where timer tasks weren't purged
4. Fixed UnsatisfiedLinkError when unloading DX9 renderer
5. Updated channel number sorting to handle ATSC channels better
6. Bug fix with MP3 metadata importing
7. Significant improvement in picture file thumbnail generation (it's now ~4 times faster!)
8. Added support for the '-' command used for entering channel numbers
9. Fixed setup of the MCE remote while SageTV is running
10. Fixed ATSC channel entry so it tunes to the correct channel
11. FIX: crash bug of remux AVI file
12. Fix: some digital channel switching has long time delay.
13. FIX: sub-channel wrong problem with program-id (service id) to pick sub-channel instead of minor id.
14. Updates to handle more DirecTV receivers

Extender Updates
1. Fixed bug where the STV selection wasn't getting remembered for the MVP or Placeshifter (we mean it this time)

Studio Updates
N/A

Placeshifter Updates
1. Optimization to the placeshifter transcoder

STV Updates
1. Allowed Media Extender client to use the "Configure Placeshifter Internet Connection" configuration wizard.
2. Removed *1 when entering channel numbers since they're not always numeric
3. Updates to handle entering ATSC channel numbers with dashes in them

We hope you all enjoy. Please submit any bugs at http://www.sagetv.com/bugs.html

Thanks again for your help!
Old 04-18-2006, 08:36 PM
Sage Icon

This has to be the shortest period between releases I've seen! Thanks Jeff. Installing now...

P
Old 04-18-2006, 10:59 PM
Sage Icon

I can't keep up
Old 04-18-2006, 11:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffdaddy
I can't keep up
I hear that, I have been dog sitting for my folks for a week now, and I think im still running 4.11 at home. Normally Im all over each release, and to think I still have two more weeks before I can get home and update Sage. There will probably be a full release by then.
Old 04-18-2006, 11:44 PM
Sage Icon

O.k. got it installed. This time I grabbed a notepad and took notes.

Problems I found so far:

Picture Library -

(Pre "Generate Thumbnails")

1. Some thumbnails in "Folder View" are either not appearing at all on the folders, or are appearing strangely...streched and squeezed either horizontally or vertically, with black bars. Some are appearing rotated 90 degrees. Some are appearing in very poor quality, ie. pixilated.

2. When you enter the folder, the picture that was missing on the folder (usually the first 4) is blank...highlighting it won't produce a thumbnail, but selecting it, will open it full size on screen.

3. Some thumbnails aren't appearing after navigating over them, most do appear.

4. Some thumbnails are showing in what I can only descibe as looking like a film negative blue/orange. Opening that photo shows the proper color.

5. "Generate Thumbnails" is stalling on a lot of photos. At first I thought it was size...the first stall was on 800x600 wallpaper...I removed those and then it stalled on some odd sized 576x484 photos. I didn't go further as I have 10,000 .jpgs 4.1.12 handled them fine though.

Music Library

Albums/Sort By Artist -

1. WMV videos are still listed first in the album section, sans any art.

Artists -

1. There is a blank entry with 7 (on my system) sub-entries. I assume these are my 2 PVR 500's (4 tuners) 2 FM tuners, and my Fusion.

Vizualization -

1. When the OSD is on screen, the colors start their pattern, when the OSD dissappears, the screen goes black.

OTA ATSC (HDTV)

Channel Scanning -

1. I only get one channel due to my location (it's VHF) but the channel scan picked up 8-1, 8-2, 8-2 <---Twice. They all tuned in, and 10-1 (same channel) from the guide tuned in as well. It looked like the channel scan procedure finished and then ran trhough the channels again, it then stopped.

That's what I've found so far.

P
Old 04-19-2006, 12:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hows the status of DVB-T on this release - Should I install it ?

Ta
Old 04-19-2006, 04:17 AM
Sage Icon

spent a couple hours tracking down an import mpeg bug. I finally figured it out. I had a batch of music video mpegs that imported as "single~1, single~2, etc. in the root import folder, not in the proper subfolder. Similar in nature to the .wmv import bugs before it got sorted out. However, it was not all of my .mpegs, only the ones in my "music video" folder.

Those mpegs have id3 tag info in them, whereas all the others have no tag data at all. This is what the log shows during an import.
Quote:
Wed 4/19 0:21:45.429 testFile=Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg
Wed 4/19 0:21:46.801 VF GetFileDuration:E:\Shared\Music Videos\Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg
Wed 4/19 0:21:46.844 Duration is 175433 millis
Wed 4/19 0:21:46.853 VF GetFileDuration:E:\Shared\Music Videos\Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg
Wed 4/19 0:21:46.855 Duration is 175433 millis
Wed 4/19 0:21:46.876 Added:MediaFile[id=1882580 A[1882582,1882581,"Single",0@0402.12:10,2] host=pvr encodedBy= E:\Shared\Music Videos\Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg, Seg0[Sun 4/2 12:10:13.011-Sun 4/2 12:13:08.444]]
Wed 4/19 0:21:46.892 New Library Video File MediaFile[id=1882580 A[1882582,1882581,"Single",0@0402.12:10,2] host=pvr encodedBy= E:\Shared\Music Videos\Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg, Seg0[Sun 4/2 12:10:13.011-Sun 4/2 12:13:08.444]]
Further research shows that Sage is displaying the "album" tag and if it is blank, then it lists as "single". I had my mp3 tag editor insert the filename as the album tag, and now it imports ok, with the exception of listing in the root directory.

This is how it appears with ID3 info in the album field.
Quote:
Wed 4/19 2:12:35.460 testFile=Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg
Wed 4/19 2:12:35.479 VF GetFileDuration:E:\Shared\Music Videos\Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg
Wed 4/19 2:12:35.527 Duration is 175433 millis
Wed 4/19 2:12:35.538 VF GetFileDuration:E:\Shared\Music Videos\Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg
Wed 4/19 2:12:35.542 Duration is 175433 millis
Wed 4/19 2:12:35.546 Added:MediaFile[id=1885287 A[1885290,1885288,"Warrant - We Will Rock You",0@0419.02:07,2] host=pvr encodedBy= E:\Shared\Music Videos\Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg, Seg0[Wed 4/19 2:07:02.065-Wed 4/19 2:09:57.498]]
Wed 4/19 2:12:35.549 New Library Video File MediaFile[id=1885287 A[1885290,1885288,"Warrant - We Will Rock You",0@0419.02:07,2] host=pvr encodedBy= E:\Shared\Music Videos\Warrant - We Will Rock You.mpg, Seg0[Wed 4/19 2:07:02.065-Wed 4/19 2:09:57.498]]
I don't have all the variations figured out yet, but if you have "artist and title" tags, then it shows as "single" in the root folder. If you only have the "album" field filled out then it lists under the "filenam" in in the subfolder. and if you have "artist, album and title" filled out then it lists as the album info in the root folder.

Its a weird one alright. Bug report has been filed.

Last edited by ke6guj; 04-19-2006 at 04:20 AM.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

Sub channels are not working still for me. I can scan the every channel, including sub channels. Once I go to the guide and try to change channels I get "no signal" on every station. I was just getting this on 2 stations with the last beta, but now I can now I get any station. If I rescan I will see all the channels as it scans, but still have the same problem. Before I installed this upgraded I reimaged my system back to the current NONbeta version. I then installed this on top of that version.

Chad
Old 04-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Sage User

Nice work! I will try this out tonight.

What's the difference between a "beta" and a "release candidate" ?

Also, is it really that difficult to upgrade? I assume you just uninstall and reinstall (after making a backup of the properties file). Right?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9k9
The RC is closer to being released as a final version, so most reported bugs should be gone & more new features are probably not going to suddenly appear.

Quote:
Also, is it really that difficult to upgrade? I assume you just uninstall and reinstall (after making a backup of the properties file). Right?
I recommend not uninstalling first & suggest that you look at: How to install a new version of SageTV. If covers making a backup copy, etc.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

Release candidate is when the developer thinks it is "bug free" and doesn't expect any surprises.

Quote:
Backup and install over existing. Usually no need to uninstall. The installer will handle it.

EDIT: I've got to start typing faster.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:54 AM
Sage Expert

Beta is test software with new and additional features that are likely to not yet work competely and/or have things possibly broken.

A Release Candidate means more or less that the feature set and code is now frozen and (hopefully) most if not all bugs squashed. If any legit bugs are yet reported, these are squashed and another RC released until "Gold" release (finished).

Another Beta round will follow after Sage guys rest up a bit and roadmap for new features is finalized if not already.

EIDT: Where's that copy of "Typing Tutor" of mine?

DFA
Old 04-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Sage Advanced User

I hope the next beta series ("4.2"?) will address the woefully inadequate music player functionality...
Old 04-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Sage Expert

Not sure what you mean by "woefully inadequate" but I for one would like to see the addition of Audio CD Player functionality in order to round out "Media Center" condept. This could also be done as plugin by some of the great whiz guys like nielm. For some reason, it seems that not as many people are clamoring for this as I would think.

DFA
Old 04-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

RC usually means they are trying to ring the last bugs out of the beta to make it into a "stable" version, i.e., non-beta.

It's not "typically" hard to upgrade or revert back, but you'll also want to backup your wiz.bin file as well, because sometimes it can get farked up when installing/uninstalling, and if it does, your hosed.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA
Not sure what you mean by "woefully inadequate" but I for one would like to see the addition of Audio CD Player functionality in order to round out "Media Center" condept. This could also be done as plugin by some of the great whiz guys like nielm. For some reason, it seems that not as many people are clamoring for this as I would think.

DFA
I second that. I submitted an "official" feature request for that, and was told they would take it into consideration. According to my poll some months ago, about 80% of the people polled, really wanted that feature... More of a WAF feature than anything...but it's all about WAF, at least, most of the time...
Old 04-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Sage Expert

geogecko:

How many responded to your poll?

I responded positively along with a handful of other people to a year old thread that recently but briefly surfaced on this subject. It has now sunk out of sight.

I agree that a CD player is mainly a WAF thing but I would like the convience as well. The other day my wife brought in a CD and wanted to play it straight away (no waiting for ripping, etc.). She said "all I want to do is play it; show me how". I got out the mouse and started to bring up WMP and she said "oh forget it". You know that one?

DFA
Old 04-19-2006, 01:37 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFA
geogecko:

How many responded to your poll?

I responded positively along with a handful of other people to a year old thread that recently but briefly surfaced on this subject. It has now sunk out of sight.

I agree that a CD player is mainly a WAF thing but I would like the convience as well. The other day my wife brought in a CD and wanted to play it straight away (no waiting for ripping, etc.). She said "all I want to do is play it; show me how". I got out the mouse and started to bring up WMP and she said "oh forget it". You know that one?

DFA
I have had EXACTLY that same experience...seriously.

40 people responded to the top two responses (total of 80% YES), which were both in favor of the CD Player. Actually, it's funny, but 45% of the people that responded, said they would gladly pay $10 to get it! That's 10% more than the people that wanted it FREE!

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15744
Old 04-19-2006, 02:22 PM
Sage Expert

OK. I voted and as willing to pay.

Andy, sorry to get off-topic but I know this thread is high profile and probably has the eyes of Jeff, et.al. Good chance to put in the plug. No more from me on this here.

PS: 4.1.14 doing good for me so far. Best yet. But not using MVP or Placeshifter yet. MVP planned as soon as wireless version becomes available.

DFA

Last edited by DFA; 04-19-2006 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Sage User

What's the difference between Placeshifting and the Webserver functions?

I know placeshifting requires another license, but I'm thinking more along the lines of functionality...