SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:01 PM
Sage User

Beta 6 with Vista - messed up GMT time in Sage

I am running the beta of Sage with Vista RC1

I have no idea what's going on but for a couple weeks now I've been trying to figure it out. Basically my Sage time and computer time are 7 hours apart.

I tried the Sage server thing (disable/ enable) in Setup with no luck

George (SageTV tech support guy) has been trying to help me.

We tried different versions of Java Runtime Environment.

Still no luck.

Like say it's 2p PST. My computer will correctly reflect that time and is set to PST. But in Sage the clock inside Sage will say 9p. I tried opening and updating the Sage.Properties as in the manual (time_zone=PST) with no luck at all.

Has anyone else had this problem?

And now to complicate things Vista updated itself and my Microsoft bluetooth mouse no longer works. well, the mouse does but the regular left click button stopped working. The right click and side buttons seem to work.

The matching bluetooth keyboard works seemingly ok
Old 10-14-2006, 06:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

It seems like your computer clock may be set at GMT but Sage thinks that it's set at PST. Reboot and go into your BIOS and see what the bios time is. It probably is set to GMT. Vista knows that its set at GMT and does a conversion to PST when it displays the team. This is a theory, but you might as well check the BIOS time to see what it is.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:20 PM
Sage User

I have the same problem with my client computer. The SageTV server says it is 4:00pm (CDT), but my client computer will say 9:00pm (GMT). It seems that for whatever reason the client is unable to read the time zone setting from Windows Vista (RC1) and defaults to GMT then. I have not tried changing any of the SageClients.Properties files yet though. I don't have that big of a problem with it, so I have just left it.

My SageTV server runs on Windows XP (SP2) and my client on Windows Vista (RC1).
Old 10-15-2006, 04:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had the same problem and installing the latest java beta fixed it for me.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:04 PM
Sage User

the is great the newest Java fixed it.

George told me to use. I am kind of confused I guess. So, to clarify we need to use Java 1.5 AND JRE 5.0 ?? If so I am pretty sure that's what I did.

I will check the BIOS clock. I hadn't thought of that.

> You can also try upgrading to version 1.5 of Java, the older version of
> Java
> had that bug. http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp Download and
> install JRE 5.0.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:48 PM
Sage User

whoa... I have no idea how that happened. I did NOT get the time fixed yet
Old 10-16-2006, 09:50 PM
Sage User

Cool

i don't see where to change time zones in the BIOS but the clock there is correct
Old 10-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Sage User

so you had this prob with Vista too (I see you work with MS?)

If so, did you find a workaround or way to fix it?

George is still trying to help me (he rocks) but maybe someone else has some insight too ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by that_kid
I had the same problem and installing the latest java beta fixed it for me.
Old 10-22-2006, 02:33 AM
Sage User

Old 10-22-2006, 05:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Because you're running Vista you're going to have more issues with rights and writing to appropriate files. You're also going to have issues using the acceleration built inot your video card hardware. You should also move to the latest version of Jave 6. Release notes:
Quote:
Windows Vista Notes
The following notes apply to use of this release on Windows Vista platforms.

On Windows Vista, there is a more restrictive sandbox for signed applets. A user has fewer privileges than if they were running on another Windows OS.

On a Windows OS other than Windows Vista, when running a signed applet, a user is prompted with a security warning dialog box and must respond. If "Yes" is clicked, the applet will have AllPermissions to run on the user's machine. This includes permission to write/delete a file from the local disk.

On a Windows Vista OS, this is no longer true. Instead, AllPermissions is limited to Java Applet scope, not Windows scope. Because a process running in IE has a low integrity level, it will not be able to write/delete a file from a medium/high integrity level directory.

A signed JNLP application can run only with medium integrity. Granting AllPermissions in a Java Web Start application only permits the Security Manager to allow operations that it would otherwise deny by throwing SecurityExceptions. It does not in any way elevate the permissions a user or a process has on the system.

Due to limitations of Windows Vista, Java Plugin will no longer be able to write any file into the jre/lib/ext directory from IE protected mode. Java plugin extension install will not work as it does on other Windows OS platforms.

On Windows Vista the use of DirectDraw for hardware acceleration is currently disabled by default because of incompatibilities with Vista's Desktop Window Manager.

The -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=false property can be used to re-enable the use of the DirectDraw pipeline. However, this is not recommended due to rendering artifacts and performance problems. To also enable the Direct3D pipeline, a combination of the aforementioned flag and -Dsun.java2d.d3d=true should be used.

See bug report 6343853 for more information
Find it here:
Java 6 Early Release

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by remixculture
so you had this prob with Vista too (I see you work with MS?)

If so, did you find a workaround or way to fix it?

George is still trying to help me (he rocks) but maybe someone else has some insight too ?
I don't work for MS just a MVP but going to the latest java beta fixed my time issues.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Sage User

ok, that's both of you.

I'll try java 6 beta and see what happens. I suppose it can't get worse
Old 10-22-2006, 11:01 PM
Sage User

you guys were so right.

java 6 beta totally fixed it... FINALLY!
Old 10-26-2006, 12:29 PM
Sage Icon

So, are you guys successfully running SageTV on Vista RC1 w/ Java 6?

Thinking about upgrading my w2k server to Vista to get purevideo installed and accellerate video for the new 1080p TV I'm getting.