SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-27-2006, 08:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke849
I've run through a million and one sarcastic things I could say to this reply, but I'm just too tired of it.

I don't need you to hold my hand.

I emailed them referring to paragraph 2 and beyond.

I requested an RMA# and asked for it to be emailed so I can filled out the affidavit and back to them within the required timeframe.

I continually get a reply referring to paragraph 1 where it says once a liscence is activated there is no refund.
At that point, if you still want your refund call your credit card company, tell them they won't honor the return policy and have them cancel the charge.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:48 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I've run through a million and one sarcastic things I could say to this reply, but I'm just too tired of it.

I don't need you to hold my hand.

I emailed them referring to paragraph 2 and beyond.

I requested an RMA# and asked for it to be emailed so I can filled out the affidavit and back to them within the required timeframe.

I continually get a reply referring to paragraph 1 where it says once a liscence is activated there is no refund.
This is a little contradictory:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragraph 1
All non-OEM software products from SageTV, LLC ("SageTV") include a free 15-day trial period. All SageTV products will function during this trial period without the activation of a license. You are strongly encouraged to take advantage of the 15-day trial period on all products, as activating a license renders it non-returnable and no refund will be authorized. The Trial software is also fully supported so use the Support section of our website or the Discussion Forum for help when you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paragraph 2
All returns for downloaded software must be pre-authorized by SageTV as described below. Your right to obtain a refund for downloaded software or software license lasts only for a limited time. Your request for a Return Merchandise Authorization Number (described below) must be made to SageTV within 30 days of the date SageTV made the software or software license available to you (the "Purchase Date"), and SageTV must receive, at its offices, your fully completed and signed Affidavit of Software Destruction within 35 days of the Purchase Date. No refund will be made until the Affidavit has been received by SageTV, or if the time requirements described above are not met. SageTV is not responsible for lost or misdirected mail, delays for downloading, or other communication system delays.
Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-27-2006, 08:57 AM
Sage Advanced User

Actually the two paragraphs do not contradict one another. Paragraph one says once you activate a license it is not returnable. Paragraph 2 says you can return it (a non-activated license) and here is how.

So, it appears if you activated your license key it is no longer returnable.

- amg
Old 10-27-2006, 09:03 AM
Sage Icon

I will eat my words gracefully with my tail between my legs--you are right...i skipped right over paragraph one--once activated--no longer returnable......without that sentence it appears that you can return it later on....

this important part about activation should be followed through however in the remainder of the document since the bolded lettering in the first paragraph only refers to the trial and not about returns.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC

Last edited by JUC; 10-27-2006 at 09:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUC
I will eat my words gracefully with my tail between my legs--you are right...i skipped right over paragraph one--once activated--no longer returnable......without that sentence it appears that you can return it later on....

this important part about activation should be followed through however in the remainder of the document since the bolded lettering in the first paragraph only refers to the trial and not about returns.
I agree, it's fairly misleading as it is...IANAL (but I am a law student), if you took this to small claims court, you'd probably get your money back.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:23 PM
Sage Icon

What is the saying ... Free legal advice is worth at most what you paid for it...

Sorry JUC.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands
What is the saying ... Free legal advice is worth at most what you paid for it...

Sorry JUC.
That's good, I like that saying.

I'm also not a lawyer but...

Many states prohibit(by law) such a contract(many states don't allow a EULA to strip a customer of refund rights, especially within 30 days) being binding. If you are truelly dis-statisfied with your purchase, you should pursue every option open to you. I know I would. I recently trialled then bought(it was a time limiited sale) NetRemote Whole Home, only to find that it was something that was not going to work as was reasonably expected(according to their website). It's a long story about certian pieces of equipment, ease/learning and a drop in speed/response in the newest version(which was the one I bought and needed it's features) even though it was still in beta.

I contacted Proximis and told(long detailed letter about ALL issues and my attempts to resolve them) them of my situation within 15 days of my purchase. They promptly replied with an offer to help. After a short exchange in emails it was clear to them why their product would not suit my needs and they started a refund process. I got my credit on my card's account within 4 days of contacting Proximis about my issues. This is an example of excellent ethics from a company. I would have no problem doing business with them in the future and would encourage anyone thinking of their products to feel safe in dealling with them.

Now I can't speak to your situation(location,emails,effort,etc.) or if you have properly let Sage know of all your reasons. I don't expect any company to issue a refund on software without the consumer showing they have exhausted their efforts to resolve the issue with the company's official support staff. However if after having done everything support requests, or at the very minimal explaining why you can't, you should try for an RMA. If that company refuses(whoever they are) I would verify if they had the legal(varies from each state and each contract) right to refuse my refund request, and request they reconsider. Even then you can argue that you put forth a good faith effort and the company did not, and notify your credit card company about the situation. You'd be suprised how often things magically work out once your CC company is involved, assuming you have a good card that stands behind your purchases.

None of this is really meant specifically to apply to your situation with Sage. I'm just stating my personal opinions and results based on acting in this manner. I've been highly pleased with Sage as a peice of software but even more so as a company. Their forums are incredibably open to almost any topic and there are always people eager to help. I've also personally found Sage highly ethical in my past purchases. Trust me I say otherwise if I felt I had been mistreated in any way. I'm a big believer that a company should live or die by it behavior, rather that behavior may be legal or not. In short I support companies who acknowledge they have an ethical obligation to their customers that goes beyond what their contract may imply.

Once again this is all just my personal views on purchases in general. I'm not speaking for or directly regarding your situation with Sage. I just have this strong desire to speak up about refunds, especially ones the only involve a EULA, as your rights vary from state to state.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heffe2001
I'd be interested to know what hardware you were running the system on, one, to see what you maybe had a problem with, and two incase I want your tuners .
Let see 150, 250, 500 and I all so have ATI 550 and other stuff.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:43 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I kind of assumed resale was not an option right off the bat. I will probably not be getting my money back so I do believe the Car PC will be the way to go.

Get a nice 7" touch screen and maybe a compaq Ipaq (not the handheld but the small desktop) to fit in my glove box. Throw Sage on there and wire it to my stereo. No tv tuner required, no way for sage to fail.
I'd interested to know more about this Car PC running SageTV if you ever get started on it. Please post your progress or info about the project if you have time.

Anyone else doing a Car HTPC project especially one running SageTV?

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:15 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac
Anyone else doing a Car HTPC project especially one running SageTV?
Isn't "Car HTPC" a bit of an oxymoron? (Unless of course you actually live in your car.)