SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 10-26-2006, 12:24 PM
Sage User

Is a Refund Possible?

After numerous upgrades to my computer for the sole purpose of creating a PVR, and much research as to the #1 pvr software I purchased SageTV.

I had used the 14 free trial in the past and it seemd to work fine. So i figured I may as well purchase. After only 2 days of use I was constantly seeing a "No Signal" error. (Please Do Not Post suggestion as to how to fix, I have tried them all anyway.) This is after way too much time and money and frustration as it is to build a PC that doesn't do what I want it to.

So I bought my friends Media Center PC and now no longer need mine nor do I need the SageTV software. (Another reason I am not asking for suggestion on how to fix)

After requesting a refund I was referred to paragraph 1 of the refund policy and told I could not get a refund. But if you read any further, paragraph 2 mentions a refund after signing an affidavit of software destruction and deletion.

Has anyone succesfully done this. It's not like I'm trying to rip anyone off, I have no use for this software and it has only been 15 days since the purchase. I would like to get a refund. Does anyone have a contact at Sage I could speak with? Is there a Sage moderator here I could speak with? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremy
Old 10-26-2006, 12:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

Tried everything possible and this is your first post?
Old 10-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

You didn't say if you had contacted SageTV Customer Support to try to troubleshoot your problem, only to request a refund. Did you do that?

You appear to be at the point where all you want is your money back, and your post is worded such that you don't want technical support from this forum. That is unfortunate, because with the resources here combined with SageTV customer support, you can get pretty much any SageTV-related issue fixed.

Would you be open to try to give us a chance to help you? If your issues can be resolved in short order, maybe you will have a system that you can be happy with, and your friend can find another buyer for his Media Center PC?

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:35 PM
Sage User

Yes, this is my first posting here, I have learned from other forums to search for your answers before posting. I did many searches and had tried several different things to get it working. It just seems a hassle the for $80 it doesnt work out of the box or starts erroring days after installation

As for the other PC I bought, it was a deal I couldn't pass up for the price. The problem now is the computer I designed to use Sage on is no longer in use and I will probably sell. I have already uninstalled the program, I have no intention of using the software in the future, It's been less than 30 days since the purchase and I don't see why I can't be granted a refund.

Please... PLEASE, someone help me out here.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tke849
Yes, this is my first posting here, I have learned from other forums to search for your answers before posting. I did many searches and had tried several different things to get it working. It just seems a hassle the for $80 it doesnt work out of the box or starts erroring days after installation
You can learn a lot by searching; however, if that doesn't work asking for help is the next logical step. There are quite a few well known and easily cured problems that aren't always easy to find with a search.

Quote:
This forum is not an official support forum. You should try contacting Sage. You might get lucky and someone run across the post, but your best bet is to contact them directly.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:

As for the other PC I bought, it was a deal I couldn't pass up for the price. The problem now is the computer I designed to use Sage on is no longer in use and I will probably sell. I have already uninstalled the program, I have no intention of using the software in the future, It's been less than 30 days since the purchase and I don't see why I can't be granted a refund.

Sounds like buyers remorse to me... The fact that the trial worked and the purchased product worked for a couple days would lead me to believe that this is likely NOT a Sage software issue... but I could be wrong.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Sage User

Ok,

Not sure why I'm pleading my case here...

Let's keep it simple. Does anyone have a contact at Sage I can speak with about a refund?

Please keep all non related comments aside.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:24 PM
SageTVaholic

See SageTV's refund policy here.

Aloha,
Mike

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see that you already read it in your first post.

Last edited by MeInMaui; 10-26-2006 at 04:09 PM.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:31 PM
Sage Fanatic

Most any store that sells software doesn't allow refunds. At least you had 2 weeks to make sure it worked good enough to buy (and it worked, we could'a helped you )

Just one of many examples (BestBuy)
Non-returnable items
Non-returnable items include labor and/or installation services; consumable items such as phone cards, food and drink; or items that are damaged or abused. Opened computer software, movies, music and video games can be exchanged for the identical item but cannot be returned for a refund.
Old 10-26-2006, 03:41 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Ok,

Let's keep it simple. Does anyone have a contact at Sage I can speak with about a refund?

Yeah you can you my contact, it's support@sagetv.com
Old 10-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Is there a Sage moderator here I could speak with?
Quote:

This is a user to user forum. The moderators and users have no connection to the SageTV store, nor any authority to make or change policies. As you probably already know, you can contact the SageTV store via email at: orders@sagetv.com

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 PM
Sage Icon

I suggest you to just hold on to the license, you'll need it when you switch back to SageTV. And you will...

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:09 PM

Hmm "constantly seeing a "No Signal" error" That dosen't sound like SageTV in fact SageTV should rec as in blank or black video I just wonder what PVR card did you have?.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:17 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS
Hmm "constantly seeing a "No Signal" error" That dosen't sound like SageTV in fact SageTV should rec as in blank or black video I just wonder what PVR card did you have?.
I'd be interested to know what hardware you were running the system on, one, to see what you maybe had a problem with, and two incase I want your tuners .
Old 10-26-2006, 08:16 PM
Sage User

The only advice I see worth taking is mayamaniac. Thank you mayamaniac for the positive spin on a poor situation.

As for my tuner cards, they are working flawlessly in my new media center PC.

I guess my only hope is to find a cheap small PC for my car so that I can use Sage as an oversized car stereo. (Next Project)

Old 10-26-2006, 08:20 PM
Sage Aficionado

Or if you sell the PC you built for SageTV, sell SageTV with it and bump up the proce. Just let the purchaser know that it will require a support call or two with either SageTV or your capture card vendor. Doesn't seem like a no-win situation....

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarr
Or if you sell the PC you built for SageTV, sell SageTV with it and bump up the proce. Just let the purchaser know that it will require a support call or two with either SageTV or your capture card vendor. Doesn't seem like a no-win situation....
Check the EULA.txt file found in your SageTV directory. Section 2 restricts any resale or transfer of the license. You can ask SageTV for their take on that & whether they would allow a sale to someone else, but they may not support the product at all if someone else is using a license that you purchased.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:07 PM
Sage User

I kind of assumed resale was not an option right off the bat. I will probably not be getting my money back so I do believe the Car PC will be the way to go.

Get a nice 7" touch screen and maybe a compaq Ipaq (not the handheld but the small desktop) to fit in my glove box. Throw Sage on there and wire it to my stereo. No tv tuner required, no way for sage to fail.
Old 10-27-2006, 06:07 AM
Sage Icon

maybe i'm missing something but according to the refund policy--refunds are issued as long as you follow certain steps within a defined time period. Aside from the one email contact you have mentioned where sage referred you to paragraph one--have you attempted to comply with the refund policy? Read it again (past paragraph 2) and follow the steps. I see no reason how sage can deny you a refund if you follow their policy.
Juc

let me even hold your hand:

1. email orders@sagetv.com requesting RMA # (this must be done within 30 days or purchase and i suggest ASAP because you have to submit the affidavit they send you within 35 days of purchase). Include your order # and date of purchase.

2. Once they authorize the return and provide you with an RMA number they will email you the affidavit---fill it out and return it promptly.

3. Once all is completed and you destroy/uninstall the product sage will issue the refund.
Server: Athlon 2000XP; 1GB Kingston Ram; 250GB Seagate; 160GB Seagate; 160GB Western Digital; Lite-on DVD player; Hauppauge Rosyln; Hauppauge PVR-150; ATI AIW 7500; Actisys 200L; running stock v5 .stv

Client: MVP Extender running SageMC
Old 10-27-2006, 08:22 AM
Sage User

I've run through a million and one sarcastic things I could say to this reply, but I'm just too tired of it.

I don't need you to hold my hand.

I emailed them referring to paragraph 2 and beyond.

I requested an RMA# and asked for it to be emailed so I can filled out the affidavit and back to them within the required timeframe.

I continually get a reply referring to paragraph 1 where it says once a liscence is activated there is no refund.