SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-14-2007, 07:32 PM
Sage User

Unhappy Sage Freezing Computer

Hey all,

A few days I went from Sage 6.0.18 to the latest 6.0.19, now Sage .18 had been running very well for me. However, within a few hours of upgrading to Sage .19 my entire system is locking up. I ran chkdsk, defrag, etc to see if it was a hardware or system issue, which it doesn't appear to be as the system runs fine when not running Sage.

So tonight, I uninstalled .19 and re-installed .18 ... However now the freezing problem has re-occured with .18!! I am at a loss. I un-installed .19 and deleted the directory, should I delete the wiz.bin and Sage.properties as well and totally start from stratch?

Thanks,

Undeadlord
Old 01-15-2007, 02:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Are you running HDTV ?

As described in this thread, my system was working fine using just a Hauppauge 150 connected to basic cable. I then tried a couple HDTV cards (Hauppauge 1600, ATI 650) and have had problems freezing up. I just put the 150 card back in and will see if using just it solves the problem.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Sage User

No I am not running HDTV.

Just an ATI Theatre 550 Pro with a basic TV and cable feed. Not even digital cable or a cable box.

I have my computer running diskchk and defrag today while I am at work, I just want to make sure the system doesn't freeze up outside of Sage, but I can't beleive it would. As I said, this freezing only started happening within a few hours of my .19 upgrade.

Undeadlord
Old 01-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Sage User

Mine's locked up in v6 as well, mostly from trying to view dvds. If that's something you're seeing, I can get back to you when sage let's me know what's up. Good luck man, it's frustrating as heck to upgrade and then prefer the old version.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:54 PM
Sage User

Unfortunately this is not just during one mode ...

I see lockups during standby mode, as well as during watching LiveTV and recordings. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the lockups. I can't do any one thing to reproduce them.

Thats the sad part, I almost didn't upgrade to .19 as .18 seemed stable. However the changelong for .19 was so small, I just couldn't imagine it crashing anything major, they seemed to be minor fixes.

Undeadlord
Old 01-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Sage Expert

I've been having that problem the last two days, but both times were while watching Fox with multiple HD streams recording.

I'd installed the free version of Kaspersky, so I've taken that off to see if that was the problem. The other change I'd made was changing from Source to Fill on the aspect ratio (per the stuttering thread).
Old 01-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have had the same problem since 6.16 or so, almost always during playback of SD content, and it seems for whatever reason it is during Sesame Street - does not make for a couple of happy kids!

From looking at the debug logs, it seems that there is an issue in the playback, the playback thread thinks there is nothing to playback, then it goes into a AwtThread Hang.

In the last couple of days I have upgraded to Java 6, the latest Nvidia drivers, reinstalled the PureVideo decoder, and went back to using the SageTVServer along with the client. So far, 20 hours and no freeze, still holding my breath as it normally goes down every 4 - 6 hours.
Old 01-15-2007, 08:58 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTuckman
I have had the same problem since 6.16 or so, almost always during playback of SD content, and it seems for whatever reason it is during Sesame Street - does not make for a couple of happy kids!

From looking at the debug logs, it seems that there is an issue in the playback, the playback thread thinks there is nothing to playback, then it goes into a AwtThread Hang.

In the last couple of days I have upgraded to Java 6, the latest Nvidia drivers, reinstalled the PureVideo decoder, and went back to using the SageTVServer along with the client. So far, 20 hours and no freeze, still holding my breath as it normally goes down every 4 - 6 hours.
I have been seeing the _exact_ same thing since I upgraded to 6.0.18. I've done everything that you did as well, except reinstalling the decoders. Maybe I'll give that a try tonight. My son was not happy that Little Einsteins locked up on him this morning.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 01-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Sage Icon

Lock up?

How would you guys describe your lock up? Mine will either just freeze the video and seems to also take out the network as I can not VNC in. Or like moments ago, it will hang video and repeat about 2 seconds of audio, in this case, I am still able to VNC in and try to kill the sage application (no luck) or the process (works sometimes).

I have done you guys one better. I did a NUKE and Pave on Saturday evening.../ morning (Probably past Mike's bedtime and I am in Eastern time).

I have XP home
Sage Client 6.0.19 (was using Java 6 - removed yesterday, unistalled sage client and let it reinstall w/ java 4)
Sage server 6.0.19 (service mode) Java 6
ASUS P4S800 w/ P4 2.8
1 Gb Ram
I've swapped in a Gb nic as I originally thought it was my onboard nic
I tried upgrading the Gb nic driver and had this unresolved problem
Nvidia 5700
Nvidia decoder (normally, see additional below)
on board sound

I typically us Nvidia decoders with VMR9 and FSE. I have switched to overlay and the Sage decoder today and just had the same hang.

I forgot to restart logging with yesterdays reinstall, so I don't have logs, but I recall thread hangs as well. The server logs show NetworkManager CommunicationFailure : /192.168.0.104 of type 1 and type 2.

I have checked the windows logs on both machines and the client normally doesn't show anything, but yesterday, there were a couple application errors back before the sage client / java 4 reinstall - nothing since
Faulting application sagetvclient.exe, version 6.0.13.1, faulting module quartz.dll, version 6.5.2600.2749, fault address 0x000b6d13.

The application, C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0\bin\jusched.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on 01/13/2007 @ 12:52:27.353 The exception generated was c0000005 at address 7C918FEA (ntdll!RtlpWaitForCriticalSection)

Hanging application SageTVClient.exe, version 6.0.13.1, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Faulting application jusched.exe, version 6.0.0.105, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.

Faulting application sagetvclient.exe, version 6.0.13.1, faulting module ntdll.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00018fea.
For me this problem goes back even before the V6 beta... Don't know when it started. My wife has asked how hard it would be to get a Dish STB into the Living room... that is not something I want to have to do, but this problem has me stumped.

Oh, BTW, no HD and I have even had it lock up on a ripped DVD file.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

me too on the lock-ups. Wife wants me to start recording on the Replay again to backup Sage because she's sick of rebooting. Wondering if it is with the Sage screen saver kicking in. No idea but I have to say as a new Sage user just having used 6.0.19 for about 2 or 3 weeks... The reliability has been just bad.

Don't know the history of the program... is this is "just the way it is" but wife is going back to exclusive Replay use becuase of locking Sage, unresponsive Sage, Sage loses communication with the StreamZap remote (which I bought from Sage)... Sage comes out of standby and I get playback errors until I reboot... Or go into the guide and somehow go back to full screen but the TV is playign the size it was in the guide... not full screen... weird stuff, problem stuff. And I have a pretty basic build, clean, built just for Sage. And I only watch and record OTA TV... no DVDs or anything else.

No way I could recommend this and I hope that 6.0.20 is stable, reliable, and all the things I was hoping to transition from with my ReplayTV that I was hoping to replace.

My initial excitement is over and right now I'm just Anyway I didn't mean to turn this into a long blah blah blah about my disappointment about my purchase and frustrations over all the bugs but it just kind of happened as I wrote it. Sage is finishing recording something and now I need to reboot the PC so I can get control of my remote-control again.

Anyway, I really suspect the Sage screen saver is causing the problem somehow.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:29 PM
Administrator

Have you followed up with SageTV tech supoprt? Most people don't have such stability problems, so maybe support can help you figure out the issue.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:05 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4
Have you followed up with SageTV tech supoprt? Most people don't have such stability problems, so maybe support can help you figure out the issue.

- Andy
Mine's so recent, only the last two days, and possibly Kaspersky related, that I didn't report it.

Did have a new one tonight though. Lost sound through my strereo (a really ancient device), but it remained through the TV, even though the computer runs to the TV and then to the stereo!
Old 01-16-2007, 08:28 AM
Sage User

Well I am holding my breath, but it LOOKS like a complete uninstall, reboot and re-install of Sage 6.0.18 fixed everything. I did obviously have to setup Sage again, but its been running 24 hours now with no lockups and that wasn't happening before. My lockups were always random, sometimes during Standby mode, sometimes during DVD watching, sometime LiveTV and sometime recording playback. There was no real rhyme or reason to it, which frustrated me even more.

Dealsdyker, I understand your frustration with Sage. I had the same when I started out on this road about 3 or 4 months ago. I will say though out of BeyondTV, GBPVR and Sage, the three that I tried, only Sage 6 automatically picked up my ATI Theatre Pro 550 tuner card and let me watch TV within 20 minutes of the install. Not to say I haven't had issues since then but it does seem to be coming together. Luckily my TiVo broke, so the lady of the house couldn't demand we go back to it when the freezing started happening.

Undeadlord
Old 01-16-2007, 10:14 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:

- Andy
Not yet. I was assuming the windows reinstall would fix everything. Next I was trying to elimanate other things I might have done. I will have been back to stock STV with no addons now.

I'll submit to tech support on my next failure.

BTW, can everyone agree on the symptom of the freeze?
Old 01-16-2007, 10:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undeadlord
Well I am holding my breath, but it LOOKS like a complete uninstall, reboot and re-install of Sage 6.0.18 fixed everything.

Undeadlord
The final release of Sage 6 has been out for awhile. That version is 6.0.19 available from the homepage at the blue Free Download button.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:00 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

- Andy
On the freeze / hang / non-responsive remote I have not issued a support request but have posted it here in the group forum to see if anyone else has noticed issues. I can open a support request. My machine is exclusive for Sage, freshly formatted and installed MCE. I did put in a support request during Christmas week on the A180 card you sold me and I never got a response back on that request but found older drivers online and was able to get it working with the older drivers.

Sorry for the rant above but I've been frustrated. I do appreciate your willingness to help.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:18 AM
SageTVaholic

My lockups have only occured during video playback (I think only during mpeg2 playback. We have a number of videos in Xvid and I don't recall ever locking up during one of those). Sage completely freezes. Most of the time, I can kill and restart sage (It happens enough that I've actually mapped remote buttons to kill and start sage). Sometimes before I have a chance to do anything, the computer spontaneously reboots. The only indication in the log file is a long list of AWTThread Hand Detected messages immediately before the freeze. I'm using the Nvidia decoder (223) with 93.71 forceware drivers and java 1.6.

I haven't contacted support yet, but I will if reinstalling the decoder doesn't help. Thanks.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 01-16-2007, 11:27 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Have you followed up with SageTV tech supoprt? Most people don't have such stability problems, so maybe support can help you figure out the issue. - Andy
I had sent in a support request right be CES. I didn't get a reply for almost a week and then the suggestions weren't that helpful. I followed up and am waiting for a response.

So far, 30+ hours, it is still stable and I am just going to keep holding my breath. If my wife shows me an ad for a new Tivo one more time I am going to scream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by briands
How would you guys describe your lock up? Mine will either just freeze the video and seems to also take out the network as I can not VNC in. Or like moments ago, it will hang video and repeat about 2 seconds of audio, in this case, I am still able to VNC in and try to kill the sage application (no luck) or the process (works sometimes).
Same two kinds of freezes here. If it goes real hard, normally identified by the video and audio failing at the same time, then my only choice is to power down and restart. VNC won't work nor will remotely killing the SageTV process using PSKILL.

If the video goes to black screen and the audio runs on for a few seconds, then I can normally run PSKILL from my laptop and kill the SageTV process.
Old 01-17-2007, 01:49 PM

I had the same problem while recording '24' hour monday night. The computer reboot 3 times (about 10-20 min into watching after computer boot up) while i was watching and recording 24 hour in HD. I checked the temp on my gpu and cpu. They were not hot so i don't think it is the hardware causing the problem. When i record the show in the background (Ctrl Z), then i did not experience any problem. Then i reinstall v5 back and i did not experience any problem recording and watching American Idol in HD for 2 hour. I never experience any problem with v5. I am now back to v5 until v6 is fixed.

I am a little piss!

Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
My lockups have only occured during video playback (I think only during mpeg2 playback. We have a number of videos in Xvid and I don't recall ever locking up during one of those). Sage completely freezes. Most of the time, I can kill and restart sage (It happens enough that I've actually mapped remote buttons to kill and start sage). Sometimes before I have a chance to do anything, the computer spontaneously reboots. The only indication in the log file is a long list of AWTThread Hand Detected messages immediately before the freeze. I'm using the Nvidia decoder (223) with 93.71 forceware drivers and java 1.6.

I haven't contacted support yet, but I will if reinstalling the decoder doesn't help. Thanks.

Aloha,
Mike
Mike,

I have seen the exact same thing when playing back HD content (what I primarily record). I will watch something and it will spontaneously reboot. I never had it happen until 6.0.19. I have gone back to the file that caused it and I can get it to hang/reboot at the exact same spot every single time. So, I am assuming the file has an anomoly and it is casusing the issue. I have sent a log in but haven't heard anything yet.

John