SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:13 PM

I had it setup for in place

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
Do you have a target location setup in Setup -> Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Auto Compress Options -> Compression Defaults.

John
The setting was for in-place, which I thought would just overwrite what was there. Trying the source...
Old 10-12-2007, 09:25 PM
Sage Icon

There was a bug in the 6.2 betas that meant that the converted file was never renamed from videoname.tmp to videoname.avi when doing inplace conversions.

You are using a non-beta version of 6.2?

John
Old 10-12-2007, 10:52 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
There was a bug in the 6.2 betas that meant that the converted file was never renamed from videoname.tmp to videoname.avi when doing inplace conversions.

You are using a non-beta version of 6.2?

John
You have an option to to compress if not watched. Have you considered adding a "Compress if Archive" function as another option?
Old 10-13-2007, 02:09 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor View Post
You have an option to to compress if not watched. Have you considered adding a "Compress if Archive" function as another option?
Hopefully you mean compress if watched. I hadn't considered "Compress if Archive", but Ill add it to the next version.

John
Old 10-13-2007, 08:36 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Hopefully you mean compress if watched. I hadn't considered "Compress if Archive", but Ill add it to the next version.

John

Here's the scenario. Ideally, Archive would move shows to a folder designated the "Archive Folder." Then, you would compresses it and potentially back it up. After all, stuff you archive represents the stuff you really want to keep.

Sometimes I archive stuff that I just haven't gotten around to watching.

This plugin looks great, regardless. I've recently picked up a quad-core for my desktop. Commericial processing and your plugin really makes a quadcore server worthwhile.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:35 PM

Help... New user!

i have downloaded the Auto Compress 1.3.9
i have unzipped in to sageTV,SageTV,JARs
Restarted SageTV , looked in Favorites, in Advanced Option and restarted SageTV.
But it is not there, What am I doing wrong can someone help us?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:39 AM
Sage Icon

Auto Compress Options are available if Auto Compress is Enabled in Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Auto Compress Options

John
Old 10-17-2007, 06:32 AM
Sage User

I also just installed AutoCompress. I'm running a trial version and installed ComSkip and AutoCompress last night.

1) I restarted everything. Including service.
2) I found the ComSkip and AutoCompress settings.
3) AutoCompress is enabled and set to inplace compression and to wait for ComSkip. Not to wait for anything else.
4) ComSkip ran and generated the edl files.
5) AutoCompress doesn't seem to have done anything.
6) I don't have any other AutoCompress settings available anywhere else?

How do I access options on favorites?

How can I monitor or figure out why AutoCompress won't compress the first show I've recorded? Shouldn't the timestamp of the mpg file change? It's still 3gb. It was a 1hr SD episode.

What indicates that it's done it's job? Does the extension change? Is another file created?

I tried to install the penguin thing but can't find a link. It says download temporarily disabled. Also, does that only install and work on SageMC? I'm running the standard ui.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:49 AM

still need help

ok i have looked in,
setup , detail, custom, and there was no auto compress
We have sageTV 6.2.10.152

during the unzipping there were 2 folders, one said JARs and the other said STVs. Dose the STVs need to go into a different folder?
Old 10-17-2007, 09:30 AM

comskip ???

ComSkip were do we get that??
Old 10-17-2007, 11:23 AM

Ok found it, but??

OK found everything
and set it up to compress a shop that we recorded but it did nothing.
How do i get it to compress the show
it gives to run comskip but do we need to rewatch the show to have it run.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfirst View Post
How do I access options on favorites?
Setup Auto Compress for a favorite in Advanced Options for the Favorite (see the first post)
Quote:
How can I monitor or figure out why AutoCompress won't compress the first show I've recorded? Shouldn't the timestamp of the mpg file change? It's still 3gb. It was a 1hr SD episode.

What indicates that it's done it's job? Does the extension change? Is another file created?
It won't compress anything unless you have setup compression for a favorite.

If you are using the in-built compression, then the status of the compression will show up in the conversions panel.
Quote:
I tried to install the penguin thing but can't find a link. It says download temporarily disabled. Also, does that only install and work on SageMC? I'm running the standard ui.
There is 2 versions of the evilpenquin import, but's he's in the process of changing version at the moment.

John
Old 10-17-2007, 08:47 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Setup Auto Compress for a favorite in Advanced Options for the Favorite (see the first post)

It won't compress anything unless you have setup compression for a favorite.
I added some favorites but when I go into advanced options for a specific favorite, I see everything as you show in your first post EXCEPT there is no AutoCompress option at the bottom. I can however access AutoCompress via the main menu setup advanced options.

Quote:
If you are using the in-built compression, then the status of the compression will show up in the conversions panel.
Where is the "conversions panel" ?

thanks!
Old 10-17-2007, 09:15 PM
Sage Icon

Just confirming that Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Auto Compress Options -> Auto Compress is enabled? If it is you could post you STV and I'll have a look at why it's not there.

Media Center -> Video Conversions

John
Old 10-17-2007, 09:38 PM
Sage User

That was wierd. It was gone from there too. It was there all day yesterday when I was trying to get it to work. Anyways, I added it back in, it is enabled and now I can see AutoCompress on the favorites. I've set it up to compress. I assume they'll be compressed tomorrow morning when I wake up?

thanks again!
Old 10-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Sage User

So far AutoCompress is letting me down. It compressed one show last week but hasn't compressed anything since then. There are some autocompress files next to two of my recordings that just have the word compressing in them.

How and how often does AutoCompress check to see when it should compress a recording?

Is there a log somewhere?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:06 PM
Sage Icon

The autocompress file is created when the job is queued to be compressed. If you are using the inbuilt compression then the jobs should appear in Media Center -> Video Conversions.

If you are using the evilpenquin compression then dirmon handles the processing of those.

I think the default is every 10 minutes to check to see if a file should be added to the compression queue.

There is no specific log, but if you enable debug logging then some logging is done there.

John
Old 10-24-2007, 03:18 AM
Sage Icon

New version available for download

(1.3.10)
- Fix file cleanup in linux

John
Old 10-24-2007, 06:23 AM
Sage User

How can I enable debug logging? Is this supported in the trial?

I'm testing Sage everynight with recording a show or two. Sage so far is reliable. ComSkip is reliable. AutoCompress isn't. It compressed the one show. I think, last week but nothing since. I taped a show sunday night and AutoCompress didn't try to compress it until last night. But it didn't compress it. I just have an autocompress file timestamped last night, 2 days after I recorded the show.

I have ComSkip set to run at all hours except the late evening hours when most shows are taped. When I wake up the next morning and I check the dir, ComSkip is running reliably every night. I'd think AutoCompress would have kicked within 10mins of ComSkip finishing?

All my shows (1hr) are coming in around 3gb. The one show that compressed, I assume, is down to .9gb.

How do I troubleshoot this?
Old 10-24-2007, 12:44 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
How can I enable debug logging? Is this supported in the trial?
From the FAQ:

Quote:
Q: I have a problem using SageTV and was asked to enable debug logging. How do I do that?

A: There is a property file setting to enable debug logging.

Edit sage.properties and add this line:

debug_logging=TRUE

Enter the line exactly as shown above. TRUE must be in all CAPS for this property.

Before editing the properties file, make sure SageTV or the service is not running. If you edit the properties file while SageTV is running, the change will be ignored.

If you are using a client, edit sageclient.properties instead.

After this change, SageTV will create a new sagetv_0.txt and/or sagetvclient_0.txt log file in the SageTV installation directory each time it is run. Save those files from when a problem occurs to help track down a problem -- they can be emailed to betatest at sagetv.com

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.