SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyfirst View Post
How do I troubleshoot this?
If you follow the steps to enable debug logging posted by ke6guj you will get a debug log. You only need to start Sage and run it for a couple of minutes after enabling debug logging before you can stop it again.

Post the debug log and I'll have a look at what's happening.

John
Old 11-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

This looks like a great add on, and I've just installed. I have one question though ... will this handle existing recordings, or only recordings that are completed from here on in? And if it does handle the backlog of recordings, is there any way to have it differentiate (ie: if I have already had sage convert the recording manually.. is it going to run over it again or will it be passed over?)

I wouldn't mind having slightly finer grained control over what gets converted though, for example I have a "movies" category that has hundreds of shows, that really, I wouldt mind converting on a "if we're not compressing anything else at the moment" basis, or "after X days/weeks of being stored", or by existing size (ie: save me the most disk space?) Im interested in what people are doing with their own setups?

thanks

Cory

EDIT: I see that it does handle recordings that have been done in the past, which is great. Now I just need to know if its going to try and re-compress anything thats been compressed already by sage?

Last edited by bluenote; 11-05-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnovak View Post
Now I just need to know if its going to try and re-compress anything thats been compressed already by sage?
It depends on what format they have already been compressed into. The auto compress is only looking for .mpg or .ts files to compress

John
Old 11-06-2007, 05:30 AM
SageTVaholic

John,

Any thoughts on allowing a custom ffmpeg command line to be added? This might be outside of scope for this plugin, but a facility to create or define your own format from within the gui would be cool.

B
Old 11-06-2007, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

John, that sounds like it will do nicely and in fact its behaving great on my system. Thanks for a great add on

Cory
Old 11-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
Any thoughts on allowing a custom ffmpeg command line to be added? This might be outside of scope for this plugin, but a facility to create or define your own format from within the gui would be cool.
B. I'd not really considered doing anything like that as there are just so many options that it's just easier to manually add new profiles to the sage.properties.

John
Old 11-06-2007, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
B. I'd not really considered doing anything like that as there are just so many options that it's just easier to manually add new profiles to the sage.properties.

John
Ahh yes, but to do that you need to take it down, bring it up to test etc. Not so good when your whole home watches TV/videos/movies/etc through SageTV
Old 11-07-2007, 01:49 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Ahh yes, but to do that you need to take it down, bring it up to test etc. Not so good when your whole home watches TV/videos/movies/etc through SageTV
I'll see if the Add Transcoding Format api adds a new format that's usable without a restart. If it does, I can make a panel that you can paste a string into and have it add the new transcoding format. Don't hold your breath though as I'm not sure when I'll get to it.

John
Old 11-07-2007, 04:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Many thanks. Much appreciated.
Old 11-07-2007, 11:35 AM
Sage User

Can I run this process on a Client?

Hi,

Sorry to ask what I'm sure is a dumb question, but I'm new here (installed Sage 3 days ago) and still trying to figure some stuff out. I currently have a relatively slow headless Server and 1 MVP. I also have 2nd computer with significantly computing power.

If I install a SageTV Client on this 2nd computer, and install the auto-compress feature on that Client, will the transcode process run on the client machine or the server machine? I loaded a trial of the Client on the 2nd machine and kicked off a manual compress operation and saw that the process ran on the server. I was wondering if the auto compress process would work differently - I've read through the thread but its still unclear to me.

Thanks
- Carl
Old 11-07-2007, 12:38 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlR View Post
If I install a SageTV Client on this 2nd computer, and install the auto-compress feature on that Client, will the transcode process run on the client machine or the server machine?
Carl, it's just an automation of the manual compression process, so it will also run on the server.

John
Old 11-16-2007, 03:57 PM
Sage Icon

New version available for download

(1.4.0)
- Added option to Wait until Archived before compressing
- Added option to delete source file when compressing to a different
directory
- Added panel to add/delete/modify Custom transcode formats

The panel for adding Custom transcode formats is in Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Auto Compress Options -> More Options

Any new formats added will be prefixed by Custom-
New format names can contain spaces.

Just paste in a transcode format string eg:
Code:
f=dvd;[bf=vid;f=mpeg2video;br=4800000;fps=25;w=720;h=576;vbr=1;][bf=aud;f=mp2;sr=48000;ch=2;bsmp=16;br=384000;]
If you change any of the default formats they will revert back to their default settings on a restart of SageTV. I plan to only have the Custom formats showing in a later update.

This version does not support the EvilPenguin version 3 compression profiles currently, but still supports the version 2 profiles if installed.

John
Old 11-16-2007, 04:09 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:

(1.4.0)
directory

The panel for adding Custom transcode formats is in Detailed Setup -> Customize -> Auto Compress Options -> More Options

Code:
f=dvd;[bf=vid;f=mpeg2video;br=4800000;fps=25;w=720;h=576;vbr=1;][bf=aud;f=mp2;sr=48000;ch=2;bsmp=16;br=384000;]
If you change any of the default formats they will revert back to their default settings on a restart of SageTV. I plan to only have the Custom formats showing in a later update.

This version does not support the EvilPenguin version 3 compression profiles currently, but still supports the version 2 profiles if installed.

John
You are the man. I am putting together a new Sage server Quad-core specifically to have your plugin and comskip rip through files.

A quick question, if you select In Place=0, the - Option to put compressed files in a specific directory, this will move the compress file. Will Sage still reference this file as if it was never moved? In other words, the info for the recording just shows the new location.
Old 11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jominor View Post
A quick question, if you select In Place=0, the - Option to put compressed files in a specific directory, this will move the compress file. Will Sage still reference this file as if it was never moved? In other words, the info for the recording just shows the new location.
Yes it does, but I can't remember if the target directory needs to be a directory defined in SageTV (Recordings or Import)

John
Old 11-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I love this add on, thank you. If there's a wishlist, what woudl really get my blood up would be a thin/simple way of offloading compression onto another PC -- my sage PC is the crappiest computer I have, and I have several others but I dont run sage client ... so when I wanted to, i could just launch an exe and it would start taking files out of the waiting to be converted list and converting them... perhaps starting at the bottom if there was no other way to advoid conflicts? Just a thought,

Cory
Old 11-18-2007, 09:13 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

(1.4.0)
directory

Code:

John

John it appears that when I set up a default directory in the Setup area of AutoCompress (Compression Default) Specified it does not save it. When i add another favorite I have to setup the Destination folder again.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:15 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyplayer View Post
John it appears that when I set up a default directory in the Setup area of AutoCompress (Compression Default) Specified it does not save it. When i add another favorite I have to setup the Destination folder again.
I can see that it's not loading the default directory when setting up a new favorite and I seem to have done it deliberately, but I can't think of why that might be.

I'll look into it

John
Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 AM
SageTVaholic

John - You are always so gracious in entertaining new features, thank you. I would love for this plugin to be able to only check for compression jobs during configurable times.

Also for those with an iPhone or iPodTouch, please take a look at these command lines below.

B

Widescreen:
Code:
f\=mp4;MCompressionDetails\=-deinterlace -g 150 -qmin 26 -level 13 -loop 1 -sc_threshold 40 -partp4x4 1 -rc_eq blurCplx^(1-qComp) -refs 3 -qmax 51 -maxrate 768000 -bufsize 768k -keyint_min 40 -async 50;[bf\=vid;f\=h264;br\=640000;fps\= 29.97;w\=480;h\=272;arn\=16;ard\=9;][bf\=aud;f\=aac;sr\=48000;ch\=2;br\=128000;]
Standard:
Code:
f\=mp4;MCompressionDetails\=-deinterlace -g 150 -qmin 26 -level 13 -loop 1 -sc_threshold 40 -partp4x4 1 -rc_eq blurCplx^(1-qComp) -refs 3 -qmax 51 -maxrate 768000 -bufsize 768k -keyint_min 40 -async 50;[bf\=vid;f\=h264;br\=640000;fps\= 29.97;w\=480;h\=368;arn\=16;ard\=9;][bf\=aud;f\=aac;sr\=48000;ch\=2;br\=128000;]
Comments welcome.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:32 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
John - You are always so gracious in entertaining new features, thank you. I would love for this plugin to be able to only check for compression jobs during configurable times.
Thanks B, it may take a little time to do and certainly won't make it into the next version.

Because there is no way to control the time a transcoding job runs once it hits the SageTV transcoding queue, the logic needs to control the timing of jobs going onto the queue and needs to ensure that there are no incomplete jobs already on the queue before the next job gets put on the queue.

Otherwise, if you have a transcoding window between say 00:00 and 06:00, you could end up with 20 jobs on the transcoding queue that are going to take 40 hours to run.

How about this as an alternate solution. I'll send you some cash so you can buy a quadcore and I'll sit drinking beer and watching ... something

John
Old 11-20-2007, 12:53 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Thanks B, it may take a little time to do and certainly won't make it into the next version.

Because there is no way to control the time a transcoding job runs once it hits the SageTV transcoding queue, the logic needs to control the timing of jobs going onto the queue and needs to ensure that there are no incomplete jobs already on the queue before the next job gets put on the queue.

Otherwise, if you have a transcoding window between say 00:00 and 06:00, you could end up with 20 jobs on the transcoding queue that are going to take 40 hours to run.

How about this as an alternate solution. I'll send you some cash so you can buy a quadcore and I'll sit drinking beer and watching ... something

John
John I would settle for add jobs between X and Y time and they finish when they finish. To be honest, I hadn't even thought about regulating the jobs as you described. I just don't want them to kick off during prime time TV.

Thanks again

B