SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:44 PM
Sage Expert

HVR-1600 does not show up as two tuners

I recently added a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 tuner to my setup and would like to use it in SageTV. I installed the drivers, restarted, and opened SageTV to add the source. When I click add new source, only one WinTV-HVR-1600 device appears. Shouldn't two appear (one for the analog tuner and one for the digital ATSC tuner)? Is there a way to setup both tuners in SageTV?

Thanks!
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 02-03-2007, 09:11 AM
Sage User

I just installed one on Thursday and noticed the same - only one device showing up as a tuner. The setup screen for the HVR-1600 in Sage gave a choice of which device on the card to use. I have it hooked to DirecTV thru the svideo and an antenna on the ATSC side. I chose the svideo and set it up for that, using the DirecTV channel and exited setup. I also had a Avermedia A180 installed previously for ATSC reception.

Without doing anything else, the HVR-1600 works for both svideo and ATSC. So I didn't do anything to set up the DTV input but it just works as I can record two ATSC channels at once. I don't know if this is how it is supposed to work but I won't fight success. Having an ATSC channel lineup installed previously might have helped.

I did use the drivers from Hauppauge's website rather than the CD. I also only installed the drivers, not the WinTV2000 application.

Update:
After doing some more testing, the HVR-1600 does not use the ATSC and svideo simultaneously in Sage - it's one or the other. If I am recording thru the svideo input and try to switch to an ATSC channel it will ask if I want to cancel the recording before it will make the channel change.

Last edited by djg; 02-03-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:48 PM
Sage

SageTV 6.1 allows usage of the HVR-1600 as two separate capture devices. (expect an RC next week)
Old 02-03-2007, 02:56 PM
Sage User

Great news! Thanks.

Dave
Old 02-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Sage Expert

Great to hear! Looking forward to 6.1 RC and I can't wait to test out how the HVR-1600 support works. Great job (as always)!
Clients: 1x STP-HD300; 1x Acer Aspire Revo 3610 (Atom/Ion) w/ SageTV client (Win 7, EVR, FSE on)
Old 02-06-2007, 09:48 PM

Twin HVR-1600

Does this card and drivers support dual card / 2ATSC+2NTSC tuners?

Will Sage 6.1 support this functionality?

Thanks,
DLB
Old 02-07-2007, 07:16 AM
Sage Advanced User

Currently sage does software decoding with the HVr 1600, will this new release allow hardware encoding?
Old 02-07-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Does this card and drivers support dual card / 2ATSC+2NTSC tuners?
DLB It should do that just fine, I have a pair HVR-1600 cards

Quote:
Currently sage does software decoding with the HVr 1600, will this new release allow hardware encoding?
that_kid don't you mean software encoding?, SageTV 6.0 should be useing the hardware encoding rigth now

Quote:
Shouldn't two appear (one for the analog tuner and one for the digital ATSC tuner)?
For now you can setup both tuners but you can't use both at the same time.
Both analog tuner and digital ATSC tuner should appear like this in below screenshot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image2.jpg (88.7 KB, 626 views)

Last edited by SHS; 02-07-2007 at 02:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

yeah that's what I meant
Old 02-07-2007, 02:50 PM

Oh I forgot you do need this Registry in order to enable the Hardware Encoder under SageTV in tell it get build in sorry the that_kid your rigth it make use of the Soft Encoding at frist becuases SageTV dosen't know that it a Hardware Encoder.
Attached Files
File Type: zip hvr1600.zip (352 Bytes, 484 views)
Old 02-07-2007, 09:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

thanks a bunch, I can now use the 1600's
Old 02-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Sage Advanced User

Here's another vote for that Release Candidate. I just bought one of these cards, and I love having the HD, but I'd really like to use the SD tuner as well.
Old 02-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Well, I got the new RC and it's definitely working: Two tuners, one SD, one HD.

Now I'm wondering if anyone knows how to change the capture volume on the HD tuner? It's much, much quieter than the regular captured video I'm used to.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Sage Icon

You can't really adjust any capture settings at all when capturing digital content. The tuner is just recording the broadcast stream and storing it to the hard drive. There is no encoding of the signal at all. The video and audio are already packaged up and just need to be saved.

HD programming usually uses AC3 audio and AC3 is lower than your normal audio. You need to increase the gain on the audio to closer match your SD audio.

Install the latest version of AC3filter at www.ac3filter.net . Nyle posted a good setup in another thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyle
Just to try and clarrify for anyone else that's new to using sage or external decoders. I'll try and do a quick summary of what they are saying here.

1.) Download the latest AC3Filter from the official site.
2.) Install the AC3filter(The current version 111 will open a tray icon when it's in use for adjustments or you can use the offline configuration utility which is placed in a folder on the start menu under AC3filter.)
3.) Under Setup->Detailed Setup->Video/Adio select the Audio decoder for MPEG2 to be AC3filter.
4.) Now you would modify the AC3filters settings using the tray icon when something is playing or with the offline config.

5.)
a.)If you have 2 speakers turn off the Normalize Matrix option under Equalizer which may be enough. If not boost the gain a little as well.
b.)If you have multiple speakers, If you look under the different options there is a Master Gain - try raising this to your liking during playback.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.