SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 05-23-2007, 03:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesm View Post
Well, you can tell your franchise people that comcast does this regularly, so why can't charter? Esp. since it's the law.

Do you live in Grand Rapids? Who is your congressman? Literally one phone call from their office to Charter's DC office should fix this. If you wanted to call their office, and tell them you are about to unload on them with the FCC and the Hill because of this clearly wrongheaded interpretation of the law, that might help too.

I haven't had that much trouble with this, though many others have run into snags. This is the first time I have heard that when it got escalated to corporate, they gave the wrong answer. Thus, it's imperative to make sure the appropriate people are punished and the policy changed so that everyone else who lives in charter territory doesn't have to suffer this fate. :-)

Thanks,
Mike
lol, my franchise authority is my little ol' township office (I live near GR) and they're a bit bemused by all of this. I've drafted a letter to them, and they'll forward/contact Charter about it (I'll PM the letter to you)...hopefully the content of the letter will be convincing enough.

I've still got my Satellite system hooked up, so I'm not in a huge hurry for this, just a little miffed that so far I've paid a good amount of money for nothing.

Thanks for all the moral support
-Kevin
Old 05-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Sage Icon

Also, I thought I should mention that things aren't completely screwed up here. I configured my HDHR to grab a couple of QAM channels (CNNHD, BoomerangHD, CBSHD, ABCHD, NBCHD, PBSHD work, FOXHD is broken (and is on the DCT too)...and all the MC channels are unencrypted, no use for them, but I thought it was fun). I also was able to get a DCT2000 from the tech who came today, and while when I asked him to make sure it gets authorized for HD channels, he just kept saying it can't get them. I explained the whole HDD200 thing to him, etc. Anyway, I finally got to sit down and the HBOHD, and local HD channels are listed in my guide and I can select them and hear the audio (no picture though, which is what I expected)...so I think my DCT2000 is authorized for HD I'm going to call tonight and cancel the appt they setup to bring an HD receiver out because I have a feeling that it will have a firewire port.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:04 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJake View Post
Also, I thought I should mention that things aren't completely screwed up here. I configured my HDHR to grab a couple of QAM channels (CNNHD, BoomerangHD, CBSHD, ABCHD, NBCHD, PBSHD work, FOXHD is broken (and is on the DCT too)...and all the MC channels are unencrypted, no use for them, but I thought it was fun). I also was able to get a DCT2000 from the tech who came today, and while when I asked him to make sure it gets authorized for HD channels, he just kept saying it can't get them. I explained the whole HDD200 thing to him, etc. Anyway, I finally got to sit down and the HBOHD, and local HD channels are listed in my guide and I can select them and hear the audio (no picture though, which is what I expected)...so I think my DCT2000 is authorized for HD I'm going to call tonight and cancel the appt they setup to bring an HD receiver out because I have a feeling that it will have a firewire port.
You have it exactly right. If the DCT2500 can tune to the HD channel, and you get audio from the program, then the box is authorized for HD, and an R5000-HD mod will get you HD. My DCP501 functions in exactly the same way. The DCT's MPEG decoder can't handle the HD video decode, but does the DD 5.1 fine, and the decryption logic obviously works fine at HD bitrates. Not a based design... :-)

Thanks,
mike
Old 05-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Sage Icon

Success, for now. I was able to cancel the appt for tomorrow and said I'd call back when I get some more time away from the office. Now I have a backup plan at least if the FCC thing drags on. I think I actually have a DCT2000 STB, that's what the diagnostics menu says at least...but no worries there either, Nextcom says DCT2000 series STBs without a firewire port will work.

Thanks,
Kevin
Old 05-23-2007, 07:04 PM
SageTVaholic

I just picked up my second STB (DCT 5100)

Okay, my intention isn't to rub it in.... but just an update. I just went and picked up my second STB (DCT 5100) from my local cable office... Zero Hassle. It was already provisioned and waiting for me (since I called ahead of time). I'm going to mail it off to the R5000 people tomorrow overnight.

-Michael

Quote:
Charter system? Western Michigan, Kent County.

Yup, I called the corporate HQ and that's where it ended. I've been trying to find my local franchise authority but my local city hall didn't know it and the FCC person I talked to doesn't either. I think one of my neighbors is in customer service for Charter, so I'm seeing if he can get it for me (I switched to electronic only bills 2 years ago - where that info usually is found).

I also have made contact with a lawyer in town who has dealt with Comcast before and is part of a large firm. (Actually had my wife do this since she works at an IP firm that used to be part of this same firm).

I'm waiting on filing a complaint with the FCC and my Congressman/Senator until after I've contacted the local franchise authority.

Also, an installer is coming sometime today, so I'll see if he has a non-Firewire model on his truck.

Thanks for all of your info and support - sounds like you've been through this before.

Thanks,
Kevin

***RIP SageTV***
Old 05-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkanet View Post
Okay, my intention isn't to rub it in.... but just an update. I just went and picked up my second STB (DCT 5100) from my local cable office... Zero Hassle. It was already provisioned and waiting for me (since I called ahead of time). I'm going to mail it off to the R5000 people tomorrow overnight.

-Michael
Wow, 2 R5000-HD tuners? That's pretty impressive. You're almost at the cost of a Vista dual cablecard system!

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-24-2007, 12:47 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah... that was supposed to be my money for a Vista dual cable card system.... and have some money left over. I can't thank you enough for pointing me to the right path.

Quote:
Wow, 2 R5000-HD tuners? That's pretty impressive. You're almost at the cost of a Vista dual cablecard system!

Thanks,
Mike

***RIP SageTV***
Old 05-24-2007, 12:57 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Yeah... that was supposed to be my money for a Vista dual cable card system.... and have some money left over. I can't thank you enough for pointing me to the right path.
You don't need to keep thanking me... I just couldn't stand people being pointed at the koolaid all the time. And folks here with R5000-HD's and Dish having MPEG4 problems kind of dampened the reputation of an excellant albeit expensive product...

But seriously, were you running out of tuners? I have a couple analog SD box's feeding ATI tuners with S-video. If the R5000 is busy and the content is SD, it records the programming the old fashioned way. Of course, that doesn't work for HD... I have an HD Home Run that picks up all the network programming (since comcast sends it in the clear), so I generally don't run out of tuners, though sometimes I have a conflict between TNTHD and HBOHD...

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-24-2007, 01:10 AM
SageTVaholic

R5000 #1 will be used for new HD movies round the clock. R5000 #2 will be used for On Demand, PPV, and anything else that's live TV/non-local channels. Two ATSC OTA tuners will be for local channels only.

Quote:
You don't need to keep thanking me... I just couldn't stand people being pointed at the koolaid all the time. And folks here with R5000-HD's and Dish having MPEG4 problems kind of dampened the reputation of an excellant albeit expensive product...

But seriously, were you running out of tuners? I have a couple analog SD box's feeding ATI tuners with S-video. If the R5000 is busy and the content is SD, it records the programming the old fashioned way. Of course, that doesn't work for HD... I have an HD Home Run that picks up all the network programming (since comcast sends it in the clear), so I generally don't run out of tuners, though sometimes I have a conflict between TNTHD and HBOHD...

Thanks,
Mike

***RIP SageTV***
Old 05-24-2007, 08:59 AM
Sage Icon

Thought I'd share this fun info I found last night after talking to an ex-Charter employee.

Guess what Charter rolled out in St. Louis (their corporate HQ location)? That's right, the DCP 501. Oh, and they let customers buy them? Really? Do you have anything to back that up? Sure do.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/...=2227_1812_23#

But, Charter keeps saying they don't support that, I guess that's why they list the DCP 501 User Manual on their Support site...right??

http://www.charter.com/Visitors/Supp...ArticleID=1664

ahhh, had a good laugh yet? I know I have.
Old 05-24-2007, 11:36 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Thought I'd share this fun info I found last night after talking to an ex-Charter employee.

Guess what Charter rolled out in St. Louis (their corporate HQ location)? That's right, the DCP 501. Oh, and they let customers buy them? Really? Do you have anything to back that up? Sure do.

http://www.motorola.com/mediacenter/...=2227_1812_23#

But, Charter keeps saying they don't support that, I guess that's why they list the DCP 501 User Manual on their Support site...right??

http://www.charter.com/Visitors/Supp...ArticleID=1664

ahhh, had a good laugh yet? I know I have.

Oh this is pretty funny... You really should beat the snot out of them with your local franchise people.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-26-2007, 08:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Hey Mike (or anyone) do you know if the R5000 DVR app tries to attach to the SageTV app or the XP Service? It's a bit unclear since I have both running on the same machine. I noticed sometimes it will get a ping from the App... sometimes it will get a ping from the service depending on which starts first. I noticed is the service starts first, the app will not be able to change channels for scheduled recordings. I'm just totally confused.

***RIP SageTV***
Old 05-26-2007, 11:35 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Hey Mike (or anyone) do you know if the R5000 DVR app tries to attach to the SageTV app or the XP Service? It's a bit unclear since I have both running on the same machine. I noticed sometimes it will get a ping from the App... sometimes it will get a ping from the service depending on which starts first. I noticed is the service starts first, the app will not be able to change channels for scheduled recordings. I'm just totally confused.
Mike, it's the other way around. Sage connects to the R5000 app. If you run Sage as a service, then it should come up first, connect to the R5000 app, and away you go.

What might be happening is that your client app for some reason starts up before the service. If you start up the app and the service isn't yet running, it will not just act as a client, but start the whole shebang up. If you run Sage as a service, you should probably not autostart the app to avoid this race condition, or put in some delays to assure that the service is up and running first.

I haven't had too much experience with this, as I run Sage as a service, but on a dedicated server, so I never run the app locally as a client...

BTW, this behavior should be the case for all network tuners, and maybe all tuners, not just the R5000-HD.

Thanks,
mike
Old 05-27-2007, 12:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Okay, I'm starting to understand. But I'm still confused...

Although, I have one machine for playing back and recording SageTV recordings, I still use the sageTV service; not app only. My intention is for recordings to still take place even if the sageTV app is restarted.

Now.. here's the part where I get lost... I have my options set to have SageTV Server enabled and to Load at Windows Startup=System Tray. If I start the app, it will automatically start the service. In fact, I think that's how it is doing it currently with these options the way they are since I don't think the service itself has a way of starting by itself.. even if set to automatic.

With these options set the way they are, does the service or the app attach to the R5000 app?

Quote:
Mike, it's the other way around. Sage connects to the R5000 app. If you run Sage as a service, then it should come up first, connect to the R5000 app, and away you go.

What might be happening is that your client app for some reason starts up before the service. If you start up the app and the service isn't yet running, it will not just act as a client, but start the whole shebang up. If you run Sage as a service, you should probably not autostart the app to avoid this race condition, or put in some delays to assure that the service is up and running first.

I haven't had too much experience with this, as I run Sage as a service, but on a dedicated server, so I never run the app locally as a client...

BTW, this behavior should be the case for all network tuners, and maybe all tuners, not just the R5000-HD.

Thanks,
mike

***RIP SageTV***
Old 05-27-2007, 11:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Okay, I'm starting to understand. But I'm still confused...

Although, I have one machine for playing back and recording SageTV recordings, I still use the sageTV service; not app only. My intention is for recordings to still take place even if the sageTV app is restarted.

Now.. here's the part where I get lost... I have my options set to have SageTV Server enabled and to Load at Windows Startup=System Tray. If I start the app, it will automatically start the service. In fact, I think that's how it is doing it currently with these options the way they are since I don't think the service itself has a way of starting by itself.. even if set to automatic.

With these options set the way they are, does the service or the app attach to the R5000 app?
Mike, I am pretty sure that Sage as a service, will start up on system start unless the service control panel tells it not too. On my system, I have sage service enabled and set to start on boot, with the option to restart in case Sage crashes. This will assure that recordings are done, as the service controls the tuners, etc...

Use of the App on the same system IF sage is running as a service I think converts to client mode. If the service isn't running, I don't think it starts the service, rather it starts up in non-client mode. I am not sure about this, but others here would be able to tell you more.

Thanks,
mike
Old 05-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Sage Icon

Mike is correct in that just starting Sage without the service already running then it starts up in non-client mode.

If you have only set the options, SageTV Server=enabled and Load at Windows Startup=System Tray then you do not have the service enabled. To enable the service you must explicitly do so in the Services Control Panel.

If the service is enabled then it starts up with Windows and is running before you even log on. If you exit the Sage UI or log off the service keeps running. If you lose power or reboot the service will restart with Windows.

If the service is not enabled you must log on to Windows before Sage can start. If you exit Sage, log off Windows or reboot Sage will not be able to record until you log back on and restart Sage.

Scott
Old 05-29-2007, 11:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Cool Whooohoo... I'm running dual R5000's now!

No more conflict icon!

***RIP SageTV***
Old 05-29-2007, 11:41 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
No more conflict icon!
That was fast! I think you are now part of a small elite group of dual R5000 users. However I still think there are more of you than dual cablecard users. :-)

I'm glad it's all working for you! But with the ability to record all that HD, you may need to work on your storage solution next... :-)

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-30-2007, 05:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
That was fast! I think you are now part of a small elite group of dual R5000 users. However I still think there are more of you than dual cablecard users. :-)

I'm glad it's all working for you! But with the ability to record all that HD, you may need to work on your storage solution next... :-)

Thanks,
Mike
I'm just a single R5000 user, however also running HD Homerun, with one tuner for QAM and the other for ASTC. My stand alone server has over 4TB and I've only got about 1TB free. Time for bigger capacity drives or, better yet, delete some of the recordings I would probably never watch.

Good luck,
Old 05-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Sage Aficionado

I agree. Might as well order more drives now:-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MH Drives.jpg (58.6 KB, 221 views)