SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Cool Secret animations in v6.2

There is a secret animation system under development which can be used already in v6.2 by setting this property:

ui/animation/experimental_core_enabled=true

The default STV already has several types of animations, but they just weren't visible because the system was disabled by default in v6.2. Simply set the above property (or call the API call mentioned below via Studio's expression evaluator) & use the default STV. Besides the obvious things as you scroll around, check out the transition when you toggle the basic & advanced modes for the pop-up you get after selecting a recording. And, go to the music browser & start/stop music playback.

The animations should work on all types of clients except the MVP extender.

Check it out.

EDIT: Hint...Hint...that means it WILL work on the soon-to-be-released HD media extender. http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=27530

For STV developers:

I'm still looking for time to write up a better description for the current animation system abilities (the details are subject to change anyway, as development continues), but here is a little API & animation layer info:

In Studio, there is a new API call you could use to enable/disable it:
SetCoreAnimationsEnabled(true)
SetCoreAnimationsEnabled(false)

Get its status:
AreCoreAnimationsEnabled()

There is also:
Animate()
AnimateDelayed()

More info on those API calls is in the online Studio APi docs. Also, there are Animate() examples in the default STV.

While the core does the actual animations, the STV controls it all via the above-mentioned API calls and layer settings for widget Animation properties.

An animation system layer is defined via the Animation property by setting the property to LayerName, or CacheName. This puts that UI widget and all of its children on the Name layer. The "Layer" and "Cache" prefixes are interchangeable for the widget Animation property, so you'll see some called "CacheFocus", while others might be "LayerBG" or "LayerForeground". No equal sign is used for this setting.

The default STV is set up to use a max of 3 layers to limit the amount of memory used for layers: BG, Focus, and Foreground. And, the layers are displayed in that order (alphabetical). You can create additional layers for custom STVs, to change where the focus highlight is drawn for example, but that will use more memory.

For tables, the Foreground layer is the one that is automatically scrolled. If you search the STV for "REM Set the animation surface names.", you'll see a couple properties used to define default background & scrolling surface layers.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-25-2007, 04:54 PM
SageTVaholic

How about some youtube videos showing off these fancy new animations?

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 09-25-2007, 05:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The animations should work on all types of clients except the MVP extender.
Drats!

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-25-2007, 06:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Very slick. These should be fun to play with.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpenguin View Post
Um... I know how to do screen shots, but not how to capture a video of the screen changing...

Besides, if someone really wants to see them, they ought to turn on that property. It is just more fun having first-hand experience moving the mouse around real fast on a screen with lots of buttons or holding down the up or down arrows in a place where focus wraps from top to bottom.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Camtasia works well.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:15 PM
Sage Icon

Send a message via AIM to kricker Send a message via MSN to kricker
I'm totally missing it. I enabled the property, but everything looks the same to me.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kricker View Post
I'm totally missing it. I enabled the property, but everything looks the same to me.
Are you using the default STV?

Did you enable it in the properties for the UI you are using? (i.e.: Don't add it to the service's property file.)

Are you using an MVP? Animations aren't active on that extender.

The menus will _look_ the same, but focus changes, table scrolling, pop-up creation, and some other things are affected.

- Andy
Old 09-26-2007, 04:51 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Did you quit Sage before modifying the property?
Old 09-26-2007, 05:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Here ya go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrW5m1BbLfM
The highlight bar just slides to the next selection instead of skipping like before.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToxMox View Post
Did you quit Sage before modifying the property?
Yup, I checked twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
The highlight bar just slides to the next selection instead of skipping like before.
I better go look again, but Idon't think I saw that...of course it was getting late.

Just checked again, and nope, I don't see it.
Sage 6.2.10
using VMR9 and FSE
Secret features enabled
Secret Animations enabled as show above

Could I have turned them off somewhere in the setup/detailed? I had turned off all animations before, but I thinked turned them back on. At least I enabled the only setting I saw for animations in the settings.

EDIT
Never mind, I'm a moron. I am using the server and I edited the sage.properties and not the sageclient.properties.

Last edited by kricker; 09-26-2007 at 07:39 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for that. Is that what the new interface looks like? Not bad at all.

The screenshots on the sage site haven't been updated yet & where's the headline story on the front page saying "Now 80% less ugly"

Mick.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:21 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yup, I checked twice.
I better go look again, but Idon't think I saw that...of course it was getting late.

Just checked again, and nope, I don't see it.
Sage 6.2.10
using VMR9 and FSE
Secret features enabled
Secret Animations enabled as show above

Could I have turned them off somewhere in the setup/detailed? I had turned off all animations before, but I thinked turned them back on. At least I enabled the only setting I saw for animations in the settings.
You didn't add that line, did you? The line exists so just change it from false to true.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the video, now I know I can skip this for now. It reminds me of all the little animations in Windows that I disable. This isn't meant to be critical of the feature, just not my thing.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 AM
Sage Icon

Never mind, I'm a moron. I am using the server and I edited the sage.properties and not the sageclient.properties.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
That's part of it, but you didn't show the pop-up dialogs growing/shrinking, switching between advanced/basic mode in the video options dialog, or the music info area shrinking for the playback bar when you start playing music. There will be others as developement continues; so far, only some things have been implemented as time allowed during v6.2 work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickp View Post
Thanks for that. Is that what the new interface looks like? Not bad at all.
There were some screen shots posted during the beta here: What's new in the v6.2 UI. (A few things have been tweaked since those were posted, though.)

- Andy
Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Sage

And here's another STV to check out with that enabled. This is the one I use for demos. (use the 'Watched' command on the main menu to repeat the intro sequence)

http://download.sage.tv/CacheTest-2.xml

It shows more examples of what the animation system can do.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Very nice. It certainly adds the "golly gee-wiz" factor that the UI had been missing. I really like the menu transitions and can see a time where the transition style can be chosen by the user a la PowerPoint.

I would guess that most of the people on these forums will not use the animations but the animations will go a long way with people considering various other PVR software.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I would guess that most of the people on these forums will not use the animations but the animations will go a long way with people considering various other PVR software.
I'll sure be using them

Having a problem? Don't forget to include a log! (Instructions for: PlayOn For SageTV v1.5, MediaShrink)
Old 09-26-2007, 04:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'll sure be using them
I am using them too

Dirk