SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 10-19-2007, 08:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTvTranscoder.exe ??

My system is running usually high CPU recently. I thought it had to do with trying sagemc, and a bloated install. so I ran a ghost image on my machine, copied my property files and wiz files back but I am still running unusually high load. I don't have sagemc installed since reimaging. Now even the menus are slow. The peculiar thing is I noticed that the transcoder is running, I don't know why. I don't have any com skip installed, I don't have any placshifters active.

What would cause transcoder to run?

Is anybody else noticing a higher CPU load since 6.2?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:08 PM
Sage Icon

Mike_15,

This sounds like it might be the problem where corrupt video files may be causing the problem. Recovering the boot drive would not fix this type of problem if the problem is really being caused by the corrupt video files stored on a non-boot drive.

Here is the string I found about how to fix the high CPU load caused by corrupt video file(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe123 View Post
Ok, here is what I discovered. My system has been up for many hours now without the high CPU problem. To recap, I did *everything* mentioned above to no avail.

So I did a little debugging. The problem is with the SageTV transcoder program that looks at the first few images of a movie and creates the icon clip that you see on SageTV menu.

What is happening is that when a recording is corrupted, that transcoder get's stuck. Later, if you re-start Sage (like most of us probably do), that transcoder goes into a more weird state taking up SageTV cpu time.

Here is how to fix it:

- Stop SageTV
- Remove all movies clips from the SageTV directory (sorry, I am not home right now, so I forget the full path). This is the directory that has a picture of the first frame per movie.
- Restart SageTV

As you browse through your recordings, SageTV will now run that transcoder to create the image clips. With Windows process explorer, watch SageTV and notice when it get's stuck on the transcoder and find out the movie it is trying to process. You will need to either delete or fix that corrupted movie. I used VideoRedo "Fix Stream" to correct the corrupted movie.

- Repeat the steps above until all movie clips have been transcoded without problems. What you are doing is finding all bad corrupted movies and either removing them, or fixing them.

In my case, I found 4. Once all of my movies were corrected, the transcoder finished to completion and I have not had any more High CPU usage.

One final note: You need to keep deleting all those movie clips as you search for bad recordings. If you don't, what happens is that when SageTV starts again and finds the same bad recording AND the image clip it was not able to complete, it goes into that very weird state which will NOT SHOW UP what it is stuck at, just the fact that is it stuck somewhere consuming more and more threads and makes for a very difficult debugging of where the bad recording is. So, make sure you repeat the steps above in cleaning out ALL of those clips until the transcoder is completely done processing all movies.

If I am not making any sense, I will try to explaint it better later tonight.

Good luck.

Windows process explorer can be found here:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx

Dave
Old 10-20-2007, 07:53 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_15 View Post
For one thing, the generation of thumbnails.

If you don't care much for thumbnails, then:
1. quit sage
2. open Sage.properties
3. find the line: video_thumbnail_generation=true
4. change that to false.
5. save it, close it, restart sage.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_15 View Post
My system is running usually high CPU recently. I thought it had to do with trying sagemc, and a bloated install. so I ran a ghost image on my machine, copied my property files and wiz files back but I am still running unusually high load. I don't have sagemc installed since reimaging. Now even the menus are slow. The peculiar thing is I noticed that the transcoder is running, I don't know why. I don't have any com skip installed, I don't have any placshifters active.

Is anybody else noticing a higher CPU load since 6.2?
I have the same issue. In my case, the cause is the generation of thumbnails for several(not all) .mkv files.

Removing those or Disabling the thumbnail generation fixed it.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:42 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks davephan I believe that you were right about the corrupted video files.

I ended up pulling out the multimeter trying to diagnose why my computer was behaving so erratically. high cpu and system freezes/crashes. The multimeter showed my 12v output was only putting out 10v. I bought a new power supply and my system has been solid, thank goodness since Sunday night football was on.

At least for me it seems that the issues were a bad power supply not giving my system enough power, making corrupt video files. then sage was choking on the bad video files and a general lack of power as well.

Mike