SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Sage User

Cable Amplifier

Looking for recommendations on a cable amplifier.
What are you using that seems to work.

Server: Win XP Home Edition SP2; HDHomerun w/2 tuners; Divico FusionHDTV5 RT Gold; Hauppauge WinTV PVR PCI II; AMD Athlon 64 3500+; NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT; 1GB of RAM
Old 11-08-2007, 07:29 PM
Sage Expert

I'm curious, why do you think you need a cable amplifier.

Is this for an ANALOG or Analog(NTSC)/Digital(ATSC/QAM) gear?
What is the current signal level being delivered to your home?

I added a Motorola Signal Booster (two way digital rated amp) at the cable demarcation point because my digital QAM STBs weren't getting enough signal level to activate on-demand programming. The HDHR connected to my SageTV server was also suffering from symbol failure.
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by colormatters View Post
Looking for recommendations on a cable amplifier.
What are you using that seems to work.
I use this one (splitter/amplifier) from the local Radio Shack and it's been working fine. If you aren't putting a cable modem behind it you could probably go for a cheaper uni-directional model.

Like Conejo said, it's probably better to avoid using one if you can, but in my case (6 attached devices) I couldn't avoid it without noticable signal degradation. (Eventually I will be down to 4 devices and then I may remove it.)

--John
Old 11-09-2007, 03:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I am using an amp similar to the one jpwegas is using, but mine is the 10 dB Bi directional amp.

It works well, but I have at present nine, possibly ten splits in the house. I put it in prior to the main splitter. I just may break down and buy the Motorola because I am still getting a grainy picture on the low channels, and sometimes the cable box has issues with digital channels upstairs. The extra 5dB just may do the trick.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

I bought a PDI amp from this guy:
http://myworld.ebay.com/cabletvamps/

From what I read, the best you can buy is Electroline, but I didn't need that many splits. So I bought PDI, and it's been working GREAT!

-Dan

(note: you have to buy terminators for all the unused ports on these)
Old 11-09-2007, 10:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

I got a superior result in my video signal by measuring the cable lengths and matching the gain of the amplifier and the losses by splitters to the amplifier gain. I would recommend this rather than just adding an amplifier. I matched the losses to give me the signal level at the cable company connection out on the street - I included the length of the underground line from the street to my house.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:42 PM
Sage Icon

I have two amps: a downstream amp for the house TVs and an upstream amp for the cable modem. The latter goes ahead of the downstream amp.

I needed the upstream amp because I have a very long coax from my home to the cable TV connection point (like 200') and it is crummy coax the builder installed in such a way that I cannot replace it.

If you don't use an upstream amp, be sure to buy a downstream amp that has an upstream bypass and bandpass filter. So your cable modem or two-way set top boxes will work. The upstream signal is at a relatively low frequency of about 30MHz.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevech View Post
I have two amps: a downstream amp for the house TVs and an upstream amp for the cable modem. The latter goes ahead of the downstream amp.

I needed the upstream amp because I have a very long coax from my home to the cable TV connection point (like 200') and it is crummy coax the builder installed in such a way that I cannot replace it.

If you don't use an upstream amp, be sure to buy a downstream amp that has an upstream bypass and bandpass filter. So your cable modem or two-way set top boxes will work. The upstream signal is at a relatively low frequency of about 30MHz.
Hrmm..had never heard of an upstream amp.
Where do you put it? (between your downstream amp and the house, or between the cable company line and the downstream amp?)

Did it improve your cable modem performance?

I use a lot of splits and long cable lengths in a condo association...so I can't really replace the long cable lengths...
Old 11-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

I had my underground feed cable replaced last year by the cable company. It was originally RG59 and the signal quality was poor. I went to the cable company and complained. They replaced it with RG11 m- I had to wait a few months. They have a machine that cuts a grove in the ground and pulls the cable at the same time - took less than an hour for 120 feet.

For 200 ft of RG59 at 400 MHz the loss is 13 db, while for RG11 it is only 6 db - a big difference.

I think the underground cable to the outside box is the cable companies responsibility - not yours.
Old 11-11-2007, 02:54 PM
Sage Aficionado

Typically, the demark is the ground block on the outside of the house. Anything before the ground block is the cable co's responsibility. Afterwards, the customer is responsible for the wiring unless the customer purchases a plan where the company maintains the inside wiring.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:36 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper View Post
I had my underground feed cable replaced last year by the cable company. It was originally RG59 and the signal quality was poor. I went to the cable company and complained. They replaced it with RG11 m- I had to wait a few months. They have a machine that cuts a grove in the ground and pulls the cable at the same time - took less than an hour for 120 feet.
The guy next door to us had a really bad signal problem. They had to replace it and I thought they would do what they did in your case, but instead they simply used the old cable to pull the new one through the ground. Good news for him, as the cable line went under his driveway and I'm sure he didn't want them digging that up!

We have a poor signal on some channels too. I had them come out and measure everything but the signal was fine. The guy even ran a new temporary cable from the box at the street directly to one TV with the same results. So unfortunately the problem is upstream somewhere.

Annoying, the folks across the street get a beautiful signal.

--John
Old 11-11-2007, 08:42 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
Hrmm..had never heard of an upstream amp.
Where do you put it? (between your downstream amp and the house, or between the cable company line and the downstream amp?)

Did it improve your cable modem performance?

I use a lot of splits and long cable lengths in a condo association...so I can't really replace the long cable lengths...
Before I had the upstream amp I split the cable right at the demarc point. One side went to the cable modem and the other side went to everything else. It worked fine for some time, but eventually I started noticing some occasional problems with the downstream signal.

When I got the two way amp, I made the cable go right from the demarc direct to the amp, and put the cable modem on the other side of it with everything else. We've had no signal related problems with the cable modem since then. Not sure if it was the downstream or upstream amplification that needed help.

--John
Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
I bought a PDI amp from this guy:
http://myworld.ebay.com/cabletvamps/

From what I read, the best you can buy is Electroline, but I didn't need that many splits. So I bought PDI, and it's been working GREAT!

-Dan

(note: you have to buy terminators for all the unused ports on these)
Dan,
Thanks for the pointer. After reading the description on that site I realized that the amp I have (referenced above) doesn't appear to do any amplification upstream and there is a large (8 dB) insertion loss which I assume applies to signals going in both directions. Yuck! I notice now that my upstream power is at about the max (~58dBmV). I don't remember what it was before but I bet it was lower.

--John
Old 11-11-2007, 10:06 PM
Sage Advanced User

Has anyone experience with this amplifier:

http://www.summitsource.com/winegard...00-p-5435.html

It has an adjustable gain, and some filtering capability.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

that one looks interesting...buy it and get back to us
Old 11-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

From what i am reading, it is good for over the air broadcasts, I am skeptical as to its compatibility with two way cable systems.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:19 AM
Sage Advanced User

I missed the "off-air" part of the description. I agree, it might not work for CATV systems.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I am skeptical as to its compatibility with two way cable systems.
I don't know why you would be skeptical when it fall spec for cable systems compatibility and doc say it cable ready.
Bandpass Forward: 54 - 1000 MHz
Bandpass Reverse: 5 - 42 MHz
Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHS View Post
I don't know why you would be skeptical when it fall spec for cable systems compatibility and doc say it cable ready.
Bandpass Forward: 54 - 1000 MHz
Bandpass Reverse: 5 - 42 MHz
Remind me not to post when I am half asleep, missed that altogether. Silly me.