SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 11-23-2007, 01:47 PM
Sage Advanced User

Playback stops after Comskip w Purevideo

Hey all,

Recently got myself a nice LCD projector connected to my HTPC and can now watch SageTV on the big screen. Moving from a 32" Sony XBR to a 100" projection obviously amplifies all of the imperfections you just don't notice on the smaller screen.

The video card in my system is an NVidia 6600LE and can do the decoding in hardware when the PureVideo codec is used. I've never actually taken advantage of this capability -- I've used FFdshow for years and it has been rock solid.

I've installed the latest drivers for the video card, and downloaded a trial copy of PureVideo and updated to the latest version of DirectX 9 (I'm running XP). I find the picture quality absolutely stunning when I use PureVideo Postprocessing in the SageTV setup.

On the downside, when the video hits the commercial marked by Comskip, the video will skip through the commercial, it will then play about 10 seconds of audio but the video never resumes. If I stop the playback and restart - the playback resumes from just after the commercial where it should. If I use any other codec including PureVideo without postprocessing playback is fine. I did a search and can't seem to find an answer -- anyone have any tips or suggestions?
Old 11-23-2007, 05:58 PM
Sage Icon

I was playing around with the PowerDVD decoder trying to use its digital CC capabilities, and ran into the same problem with playback stopping after a comskip. I went back to PureVideo and its back to normal.

Try using "Nvidia Video Decoder" instead of "Nvidia Video Post Processor" and see if that makes a difference. The nvidia video decoder uses tthe hardware decoding capabilities of the video card, the post processor does not (CPU decoding only).

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:29 AM
Sage Advanced User

Problem solved

Didn't really do much, but the problem of playback stopping was solved. I ran the utility that comes with PureVision called NVidia Performance. It tweaks some performance of the video card and registry settings behind the curtain. Restarted the system and now the playback works just great. Hard to say if it was the changes the utility made, or simply the restart that made the difference. Either way, it's working now.

The quality of the playback with the NVidia Postprocessing is outstanding and markedly better than any other Codec in my system including the regular Nvidia codec supplied with PureVision. I get the occasional artifact when there is rapid motion and bright lights (e.g. during a battle scene in Galactica) but otherwise the image is very crisp.

Last edited by Skiier__Dude; 11-26-2007 at 09:31 AM.