SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:30 PM
Sage User

Question about Comcast Digital

For years now I've been using Comcast analog cable. I've got my cable coming in to a splitter that then splits it out to my 4 Haaupauge win-tv250 cards. Over the last year i've noticed that i'm kind of paying for a premium for this analog cable and that the same package in "digital" format is actually about 1/2 the cost.

Since all my cable experience has been with analog not sure how it works on the digital side. If I convert to digital package, do just need to replace my haaupauge analog cards with a digital turner card like the Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro PCI and still split the cable coming in from the street into these cards and i'm basically back to where i'm at with analog? Or do I need to get 4 tuner boxes from Comcast and have those run into the analog cards?

what is the best way to do multiple channel recording via comcast digital cable package?

Thanks...
Old 12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoreck View Post
For years now I've been using Comcast analog cable. I've got my cable coming in to a splitter that then splits it out to my 4 Haaupauge win-tv250 cards. Over the last year i've noticed that i'm kind of paying for a premium for this analog cable and that the same package in "digital" format is actually about 1/2 the cost.

Since all my cable experience has been with analog not sure how it works on the digital side. If I convert to digital package, do just need to replace my haaupauge analog cards with a digital turner card like the Pinnacle PCTV Dual DVB-T Pro PCI and still split the cable coming in from the street into these cards and i'm basically back to where i'm at with analog? Or do I need to get 4 tuner boxes from Comcast and have those run into the analog cards?

what is the best way to do multiple channel recording via comcast digital cable package?

Thanks...
No DVB style cards work in the US. That is a global standard not used by North American operators.

Only a few of the digital channels are likely to be transmitted in the clear. If you only care about those, one of the hauppauge digital QAM tuner cards will work, and if you want 4 tuners, then you need 4 cards. Otherwise, you'll need 4 set top boxes and the usual set of capture cards (this will not let you get HD of course).

thx
mike
Client 3: Media MVP to 15" Toshiba LCD
Client 4: HD100 connected to Samsung 23" 720P LCD
Client 5: HD100 connected to Vizio VX37L
Old 12-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottoreck View Post
Comcast usually offers 'Promotional Rates' for 6 months, then the price goes UP. So check the deal. Digital packages are usually a combo of ANALOG, Simulcast DIGITAL, and local HDTV with the digital channels requireing their STBs to view (because their ENCRYPT their QAM signals to protect their revenue stream).

Some users have found that some HeadEnds don't Encrypt all of their their QAM signals and users can tune these using their DTV QAM tuners or a digital QAM device on their PC WITHOUT having to upgrade their current package.

Check this site to see what DIGITAL CHANNELS may be available to you now: http://www.silicondust.com/wiki/hdhomerun/channels

Quote:

There are several methods being employed (Cable or Sat Dish):

STBs connected via s-video (standard definition recording only, all viewable channels)
QAM Digital Tuner devices (standard and high definition, only unencrypted clear-QAM)
STBs connected via Firewire (standard and high definition, all viewable channels except those 5c'd flagged no-copy)
STBs with R5000 Conversion via USB (standard and high definition, all viewable channels)

* Viewable channels are those you subscribe to under the package.

You can also choose to start out on the cheap and just get a digital tuner and see what you can get via ATSC OTA (Over-The-Air).

Last edited by Conejo; 12-05-2007 at 05:00 PM.