SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations > SageMC Custom Interface
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageMC Custom Interface This forum is for discussing the user-created SageMC custom interface for SageTV.

Old 12-24-2007, 10:00 AM
Sage User

folder.jpg issue in MyVideo Library (MyMusic = no issue)

Hoping someone can shed some light. I have no problem doing this for my music collection but for some reason my video library works differently.

Here is the layout

I have a folder called Videos
Inside the Videos Folder, I have all my subfolders, Like Animation, Home Videos, DVD's, Movies and so on.

What I'd like to do is this... Go to my videos, (no problem), view movies according to folder structure (no problem) and in each folder have a thumbnail that represents the type of category (Problem).

For some reason (i.e) Animation folder automatically shows 101 dalmations as my default folder thumbnail. I have a thumbnail I'd like to use and thought maybe the default logic was to pull moviename.jpg first so I changed the name of the thumb from Folder.jpg to 1.jpg and even a.jpg it still did not identify the thumb i'd like to use as the default folder image.

Hopefully I explained this accurately and someone can give me an Idea as to what I need to do to utilize my thums.

Note that this is not a folder.jpg.jpg issue (I'm running the latest sage and sageMC as of 12/24/07.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
Sage User

guess no one else has this issue
Old 12-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Sage Icon

I took a peek at the folder thumbnail for you. It appears to just use the .jpg that matches the first listed video.

YOu could maybe use genre sorting instead, and you can do specific images for different genres.

I dunno if it is something that could be easily modded via Studio or if flachbar would have to mod SageMC to do that.

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ke6guj View Post
I took a peek at the folder thumbnail for you. It appears to just use the .jpg that matches the first listed video.

YOu could maybe use genre sorting instead, and you can do specific images for different genres.

I dunno if it is something that could be easily modded via Studio or if flachbar would have to mod SageMC to do that.

The only problem I have with genre sorting is when utilizing DVD profiler / IMDB searches it assignes a categor and sub category. I hate having my movies categorized in 2 places.

Now If I could figure out how to only utilize the main categor it would fix my problem.

Thank for your reply
Old 12-28-2007, 04:31 PM
Sage Advanced User

If I understand correctly, I may have had this issue in the past.

Add 1 more directory deep.

For me it used to be, Movies directory
subdirectory Kids Movies and subdirectory Mom & Dads movies

Now it is Movies directory
subdirectory Movies directory with a Movies.jpg
subdirectory Kids Movies(w/Kids Movies.jpg) and subdirectory Mom & Dads Movies(w/Mom & Dads Movies.jpg)
and sub directories for each movie name with a corresponding name.jpg in them

I don't use folder.jpg, I use the same name as whatever .avi or whatever file is in the directory
Old 12-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Sage User

^

Just gave it a try and no go
Old 12-29-2007, 02:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman4nj View Post
guess no one else has this issue
I just tested it myself, and it works for me. In folder view, I have a "folder.jpg" in the subdirectory that contains multiple video files, and the folder icon in SageMC displays this image as the thumbnail. In the subdirectory I have a separate videotitle.jpg (same name as the video file) for each video, and when I change into the folder the individual thumbnails are displayed.

Make sure that you do a library rescan, and that you restarted the UI after you made changes to any thumbnail files (internal Sage caching issue...)

Dirk
Old 02-26-2008, 01:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'm trying to get this to work but it's not.

I've got a folder called Family Guy.

In that folder is 4 DVD movie rips (4 different folders, each containing their respective video_ts and audio_ts folders and files), each with their own metadata including thumbnail pictures, and they all look and work fine.

I've got an image I want to use as the thumbnail for the Family Guy folder, so I put it in the Family Guy folder and named it folder.jpg. However, all it shows at the folder level when browsing DVDs in My Movies is a small thumbnail from one of the internal dvd's and under it "4 items". I've rescanned and restarted till my thumbs bleed but nothing changes.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

Not sure if my issue is related to this; but, it sounds like it--

The trouble I have is the following:

- I have a tv series (SmallVille). I created a folder called SmallVille with a folder.jpg of the "series icon".
- I have a seperate folder for each season with a seperate folder.jpg for each season's DVD cover.
- Inside each season is all the individual episodes.
- Each episode of each seaon receives the thumbnail of that folder's folder.jpg instead of generating it's own thumbnail.

I'd like to have each episode have its own generated thumbnail. Is this possible while still maintaining the folder.jpg's?
Old 06-15-2008, 05:26 AM
Sage User

I've got the same issue with the folder.jpg not being used for the folder thumbnail.

Consider a directory named "Bond - Complete Series" containing a generic "007" image named folder.jpg and many avi's each with their own corresponding jpg. After rescans and restarts the folder thumbnail stays at the "Dr. No" box cover. This bugs the wife as she is a big Bond fan.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

Nevermind me. I just tried out my suggestion and it wasn't correct

Last edited by sakker; 06-15-2008 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-20-2008, 11:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

Is there an answer to this post? I'd like to generate thumbnails for individual TV episodes, but maintain the folder image for the folder icon itself.

Thanks,
Ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by osburnfamily View Post

- I have a tv series (SmallVille). I created a folder called SmallVille with a folder.jpg of the "series icon".
- I have a separate folder for each season with a separate folder.jpg for each season's DVD cover.
- Each episode of each season receives the thumbnail of that folder's folder.jpg instead of generating it's own thumbnail.

I'd like to have each episode have its own generated thumbnail. Is this possible while still maintaining the folder.jpg's?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:12 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjamintm View Post
Is there an answer to this post? I'd like to generate thumbnails for individual TV episodes, but maintain the folder image for the folder icon itself.

Thanks,
Ben
Anybody have the answer to this one?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, to OP said he won't use the genre filter due to DVD Profiler and IMDB placing it into 2 categories.

Simple fix for that would be to fix the genres in DVD Profiler.

There is a editable list DVD Profiler gives where you can change these.

If it has more than one delete the ones you dont want.

You can also add your own customized genres.

So all your James Bond movies could be under the "James Bond" genre.

Then you can create a custom Genre Icon in SageMC and your good to go.
Old 12-08-2008, 07:08 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by osburnfamily View Post

- I have a seperate folder for each season with a seperate folder.jpg for each season's DVD cover.
- Each episode of each seaon receives the thumbnail of that folder's folder.jpg instead of generating it's own thumbnail.

I wasn't able to fix the folder.jpg issue, but I was able to get a seperate thumbnail for each episode.

In my "Farscape Season 1" folder, I have a thumbnail for each episode (downloaded from http://thetvdb.com/) and they show up correctly in SageTV. The trick is that the thumbnail name has to match the video name EXACTLY. So, "S01.E16 - A Human Reaction.avi" has to have a matching "S01.E16 - A Human Reaction.jpg" file.

If I could just get SageMC to recognize the "folder.jpg" file of every folder, instead of using the thumbnail of the first file/folder in the sub-directory, I'd be all set.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Sage Expert

Man, I've been hoping this would be fixed for ages as well. I really don't want to get into re-assigning genres in Profiler for every one of my dvds. It seems like this should be a very simple thing, but it must be harder than it looks if it's still not been implemented.

The Bond series was a good example, and I run into this alot for all my tv box sets also.

But beyond that, it would be helpful for the simple fact that Sage only allows you 1 "videos" directory. So in that directory, I have dvds, tv shows, downloaded videos, bluray rips, etc. I have my folder hierarchy set up so that when I click "my videos", I get a subfolder for each of those "top level" categories. But instead of being able to put a nice folder.jpg in each folder that's representative of the category, I get some random folder.jpg from one of the subfolders.

I have 400+ dvds under the "DVDs" folder, but it randomly picked me the cover image from one of my kid's cartoon dvds to show as the image for the entire bunch.

I'll paypal a dollar to whoever produces a fix for this.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 AM

I almost feel like I'm beating a dead horse by posting a reply to this thread, but here goes...

Another downside to this "flaw" is that when I have a multi volume DVD (two, three, or more discs), I like to group them under a main folder.

So instead of being able to see the cover art for Looney Tunes Golden Collection Vol. 1 (which would then have 4 subfolders, named disc1, disc2, etc... each containing VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS folders, and folder.jpgs of their own, I am limited to a lovely informational folder icon that lets me know that I have 4 items in the folder.

If I drop the folder.jpg that I would like to have for the "main" folder into one of the subfolders (i.e. Disc1) it will put a small thumbnail in the middle of the folder icon, right above "4 Items". But I can't find a way to replace the folder icon with a plain old image the way I can with non-subfoldered folders.

*sigh* - the search continues.