SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Sage Icon

How to Capture DV Video From Camcorder

Hello - I have a camcorder that uses the mini DV tape. I can't seem to figure out the best way to capture the video. I'm figuring that it is obviously digital video on tape so I should be able to capture it through the USB in digital format.

I tried using windows movie maker to capture and it works but it seems to only capture at around 14 megs a minute and downscales everything. I think it may be using a software algorithm and not doing a true digital capture. I tried capturing in Sage using my Avermedia card through the analog but I don't get audio when I do this (but I do get audio when capturing with windows movie maker but it's just a low quality). I would think there should be some software to capture it digitally to get a good mpeg 2 file.

(EDITED: It seems that Sage is capturing the video and audio through my Avermedia card. But, ideally I think I would probably get better quality if I did a digital capture the the USB I'm just not sure what software to use. The Panasonic camcorder I have has a USB and a firewire out but I don't have a firewire and if I can capture through my USB 2 then that would be ideal but I don't know if the panasonic is USB 2 out. It's a PV-GS2)

Thanks,
Mike

Last edited by mike1961; 01-21-2008 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 10:42 PM
Sage Icon

Most DV cameras use firewire for the video and USB for still pictures. My Panasonic has that exact configuration. Very few allow video through the USB.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Sage Icon

But what software is used to capture the video through the firewire?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-22-2008, 03:20 AM
Sage Icon

You can use Windows Movie Maker, it comes with Windows XP, look in Program Files. For more advance editing, you'll need a video editing software like Sony Vegas, Ulead Media Studio, or Adobe Premiere.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.

Last edited by mayamaniac; 01-22-2008 at 03:22 AM.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:18 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1961 View Post
Hello - I have a camcorder that uses the mini DV tape. I can't seem to figure out the best way to capture the video. I'm figuring that it is obviously digital video on tape so I should be able to capture it through the USB in digital format.

I tried using windows movie maker to capture and it works but it seems to only capture at around 14 megs a minute and downscales everything. I think it may be using a software algorithm and not doing a true digital capture. I tried capturing in Sage using my Avermedia card through the analog but I don't get audio when I do this (but I do get audio when capturing with windows movie maker but it's just a low quality). I would think there should be some software to capture it digitally to get a good mpeg 2 file.

(EDITED: It seems that Sage is capturing the video and audio through my Avermedia card. But, ideally I think I would probably get better quality if I did a digital capture the the USB I'm just not sure what software to use. The Panasonic camcorder I have has a USB and a firewire out but I don't have a firewire and if I can capture through my USB 2 then that would be ideal but I don't know if the panasonic is USB 2 out. It's a PV-GS2)

Thanks,
Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
You can use Windows Movie Maker, it comes with Windows XP, look in Program Files. For more advance editing, you'll need a video editing software like Sony Vegas, Ulead Media Studio, or Adobe Premiere.
Firewire is the preferred method for capture from your DV. It has always been faster than USB for me. Use Adobe Premiere Elements (30 day trial) or I had also used Magix Video. Good bang for the buck. I bought a firewwire card for about $30 with 3 ports on it.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

My favorite for capture is a freeware app called WinDV. What I like is it creates the file name out of the date and time each recording was made. I place these files in a folder with a more descriptive name.

I use Vegas for editing and creating DVD. I suggest you try a few out before buying.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:52 PM
Sage Icon

I actually used the Windows Movie Maker but it's highest quality from the USB is like 14 megs / minute and the colors look washed out. It captures better in Sage when I use an analog capture. Would the quality be best with Firewire or would be it just as good with USB and if so what software should I use? I'm thinking the computer's USB2 should be even faster than firewire but maybe the camcorder does not have USB 2 out or as good of quality as firewire.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-23-2008, 05:26 PM
Sage Icon

How are you capturing with USB? MiniDVs use firewire. In WMM, you can capture via firewire which is digital not analog so there's almost no quality loss.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayamaniac View Post
How are you capturing with USB? MiniDVs use firewire. In WMM, you can capture via firewire which is digital not analog so there's almost no quality loss.
WMM allows me to capture through the USB but I have to choose a quality mode such as high quality (which is only 14 megs/sec). I think I'm going to have to get a firewire card.

Thanks,
Mike