SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-08-2008, 01:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

SageTV License, selling computer, transferring Sage License... is that OK?

I'm thinking of possibly getting DirecTV's HD PVR boxes which would make my Sage system, which is only used for OTA HD, redundant, because DTV has the HD locals already.

What are the rules on Sage License? Can I sell my machine to a friend with the Sage license included or is Sage licensed only to me specifically? Can I sell him the computer including transferring the license to him? I only use a single computer set up (no streaming).

I may not end up doing this, I'm still trying to decide if I want to go to DTV HD PVRs.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:28 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsdyker View Post
What are the rules on Sage License? Can I sell my machine to a friend with the Sage license included or is Sage licensed only to me specifically? Can I sell him the computer including transferring the license to him? I only use a single computer set up (no streaming).
You should contact SageTV about that question because the EULA states that the license may not be resold.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Also, check with your state as their laws may trump what SageTV tells you
Old 02-08-2008, 01:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
You should contact SageTV about that question because the EULA states that the license may not be resold.

- Andy
May I give it to him? Is the EULA online?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:58 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Is the EULA online?
Check your c:\program files\sagetv\sagetv folder for the EULA.
Attached Files
File Type: txt EULA.txt (13.0 KB, 297 views)

Clients: 1 MediaMVP, 1 Placeshifter Client, & 1 SageTV Client.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 PM
Sage Advanced User

As I mentioned, I haven't made the decision yet to switch to the DirecTV PVRs. I was just hoping I could pass along the machine to a friend or family member at a good deal and keep the Sage license in use on that machine. Otherwise, I'll just set up Media Center on it and use it that way or I'll part out the machine... or keep using it if I don't make the DTV leap.

Opus mentioned above to contact them... that is what I'll do if I decide to try to keep the license on the machine. In the distant past I see they've made exceptions for transferring a license and maybe they'd do that again.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Sage Expert

Looks like the EULA may need to be updated:

Quote:
1. License Grant. SageTV hereby grants Licensee a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license to make one copy of the SageTV™ software, and any fixes, releases, updates, modifications or additions (collectively, the "Software") provided to Licensee by SageTV, for Licensee’s personal use, performance and display on Licensee’s home personal computer under the terms and conditions of this Agreement. The Software is in "use" on a computer when it is loaded into temporary memory (i.e. RAM) or installed into permanent memory (e.g., hard disk, CD-ROM, or other storage device) of that computer. The Software may be used on a single personal computer only and may only be networked or used on a server for access by multiple computers if those individual computers have a licensed version of the SageTV Client™ or SageTV Recorder™ installed. SageTV also grants Licensee a limited, non-exclusive, non-transferable revocable license to use all media and documentation related to the Software at home, for non-commercial purposes. "Product" in this Agreement means the Software and all media and documentation related to the Software.
According to this, PlaceShifter and Media Extenders aren't covered.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
As I mentioned, I haven't made the decision yet to switch to the DirecTV PVRs. I was just hoping I could pass along the machine to a friend or family member at a good deal and keep the Sage license in use on that machine. Otherwise, I'll just set up Media Center on it and use it that way or I'll part out the machine... or keep using it if I don't make the DTV leap.

Opus mentioned above to contact them... that is what I'll do if I decide to try to keep the license on the machine. In the distant past I see they've made exceptions for transferring a license and maybe they'd do that again.
That post you link to is a fine example of customer service. Now, if only more companies were like that
Old 02-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Sage Advanced User

Transferring license - hope you're luckier than I was

I was in a similar situation a year or so ago. My computer failed and I couldn't get SageTV to run on it any more. When I contacted Sage, they were actually pretty nasty about the whole situation and were very clear that I couldn't transfer the license, even though the software would no longer run on my machine. I was a big SageTV fan, but I ended up switching to MCE just to get things running again. It left a pretty poor impression of the Sage customer service folks.

I have a new system now and am considering Sage again (which is why I'm lurking on this forum). I'm still a little gun shy from the experience, but I'm hoping Sage has cleaned up their act since then.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:52 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnelsonic View Post
I was in a similar situation a year or so ago. My computer failed and I couldn't get SageTV to run on it any more. When I contacted Sage, they were actually pretty nasty about the whole situation and were very clear that I couldn't transfer the license, even though the software would no longer run on my machine. I was a big SageTV fan, but I ended up switching to MCE just to get things running again. It left a pretty poor impression of the Sage customer service folks.
I'm guessing there must have been some misunderstanding about what you were trying to do, since moving your setup to new hardware is allowed by virtually all software licenses, including Sage's. There's even a FAQ about it that has been up for much longer than a year.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe he wanted to *just* sell his license by itself on ebay... or maybe he wanted to transfer to a new home machine. Hopefully he will reply with what he was requesting from Sage.