SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Having extenders wake up the server, is this possible?

So I have one MVP, I just finished converting my MCE box into the SageTV server, and have a HD100 on its way. I am used to have my MCE box be in standby whenever it is not in use, just to save $$$ on my power bill , and save my components (most hard drives aren't rated for 24/7 use). Has anyone figured out a way putting the SageTV server in standby once all the extenders turned off, and come back on once the extenders are trying to connect?

I guess WOL support would be required here, but I would think many people would like this, since most SageTV servers don't do anything at night.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Sage User

This would be a great feature.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

But don't you need/want the server awake to be able to record programs as per the schedule?

Mitch
Old 03-03-2008, 12:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch G View Post
But don't you need/want the server awake to be able to record programs as per the schedule?

Mitch
SageTV will work with power management and wake the server up to record shows. The only question is whether or not an extender can send either a WOL or a magic packet to wake it up when someone wants to watch something.

The motherboard in my server has a BIOS option to wake upon any network activity not just WOL or magic packets so an extender would be able to wake it but I can't get it to go to sleep because of my USB KVM switch attached to it.

S
Old 03-03-2008, 02:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

I am ok with it staying online during daytime, but once past midnight, I would like for it to go into 'energy savings' mode.

If WOL can not be implemented in the MediaMVP/HD100 extender, the only other option I can think of is to monitor for 'broadcasts' from those extenders when they first boot up (when they search for the SageTV server). Once the broadcast has been detected, the pc or device the listener runs on can send a WOL packet to the server.

A compromise would be something where a process on the SageTV server checks if any extenders are still connected after midnight, if it isn't, go into sleep mode, and then have it scheduled to turn back on around 6am. That's still 6 hours where it gets some downtime, which is better than nothing.

edit: Just found this thread, which sheds some more light on this topic. This would probably work assuming my network card supports it, and it doesn't respond to typical network broadcasts (or the machine would never go down).

Last edited by electron; 03-03-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

You dont need WOL. Just a NIC that can wake the server from any directed network activity.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?p=245920
Source(1): DirecTV H21, HD-PVR (E1) driver 1.5.7
Source(2): HDHomeRun, Winegard GS-2200
Old 03-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Sage Advanced User

I used to do this with my SageClient. There was a slight delay while it woke up, so if the extender times out it probably will wind up at the server selection screen.

I don't have my server configured to sleep anymore but I might have time to try it next weekend with my extender.
Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
but I can't get it to go to sleep because of my USB KVM switch attached to it.

S
Isn't there an option in device manager to prevent the KVM switch from waking the server. I think if you do properties for either the keyboard and/or mouse there is a checkbox which says something like "allow this device to bring the computer out of standby" if you uncheck this does your KVM switch still keep the computer awake?