SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-26-2008, 12:46 AM

Seeking Help to Improve Stability

hello all, new user seeking guidance. ive just built a dedicated HTPC, specs:

AMD Sempron LE-1150 Sparta 2.0GHz
WINTEC AMPO 2GB SDRAM
MSI K9MM-V
PNY Nvidia Gforce 6600
Hauppauge HVR-1600
Win XP SP2 (fully updated), somewhat fresh install

im on the SageTV trial, and ive experienced some odd stability problems. a few that come to mind:

-random crashing when i change channel, rewind a recording or switch from a DVD to TV
-black screen when i switch to a recorded program
-guide comes up empty
-'cursor' becomes invisible

and that isnt even the half of it. basically, if SageTV runs for more then a couple of hours, things begin to go wrong.

ive updated all of the mobo drivers (sans Bios. scared), and all components are updated (vid card, TV card, etc).

so, my question boils down to: are there any known issues with any of my hardware? or are there any general tips to improve stability?

any help would be greatly appreciated. i would like to see if i can get this to work adequately within the 20 day trial, as i probably will not be purchasing it if things remain as they are.

btw, the CPU usage clocks in between 30-40%, and im using Nvidia PureVideo DVD decoder (Bronze), if that matters.

Last edited by PushOneInfinite; 03-26-2008 at 04:14 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 04:31 AM
SageTVaholic

I would check out the temps on your components. Sounds heat related. Make sure your cpu cooling fan has enough thermal paste and is seated correctly. Also check video card temps.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-26-2008, 10:14 AM
Sage Expert

For the first two symptoms I'd suggest trying different audio/video codecs. The second and third, no idea (other than heat as suggested).
Old 03-26-2008, 12:37 PM
Sage Advanced User

I'd run a RAM test if you can. Try removing the RAM and putting the sticks back in but in a different order. Also, clean the RAM's contacts with a pencil eraser.

I'd also take the case cover off and place a large fan on the components while running for a couple of hours, just as a test to see if the problem goes away.

Also get a copy of SPEEDFAN to read the component temperatures - it's free - google it. If something is too hot (google acceptable temperature ranges for CPUS and cards) correct it.

john
Old 03-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Administrator

Please enable debug logging and post the resulting log file after your issues start.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-26-2008, 06:58 PM

Thank you all for the responses. heat is a possibility i suppose. ill install SPEEDFAN asap as well as enable debug logging.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:44 AM

ok, i installed SPEEDFAN (nice little program, thanks for the tip jlmdxtv). my temps are as follows:

System- 84*f
CPU- 93*f
AUX- 121*f (!)
HD1- 90*f
Temp1- 104*f
Core- -56*f

im quite concerned about this AUX reading, i assume it may be my vid card. and i just checked my HTPC case manual and it calims anything bellow 95*f is normal. what do you guys think? perhaps its this AUX?

Opus4, i couldnt find the string 'debug_logging=TRUE', but it did find 'debug_msgs=false'. i presume that is it, but i wanted to confer with you before i tried anything.
Old 03-27-2008, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PushOneInfinite View Post
Opus4, i couldnt find the string 'debug_logging=TRUE', but it did find 'debug_msgs=false'. i presume that is it, but i wanted to confer with you before i tried anything.
The property to be changed really is debug_logging, just like in the FAQ I pointed you to. Please see the FAQ again for the instructions.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
The property to be changed really is debug_logging, just like in the FAQ I pointed you to. Please see the FAQ again for the instructions.

- Andy
ah ok, i simply misread the faq. the property is now successfully changed. ill post a log as soon as i get an issue.

and i may have jumped the gun here, but i just reinstalled Sage and i already see an improvement. lets hope it was just that simple.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

Make sure you are running the latest version of Java as well. Early versions had a memory leak that would cause instability after a period of run time.

When upgrading Java, make sure you remove old versions.