SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Channel Changing Issues (scheduled programs only)

Hi,

I've got a USB-UIRT plugged into my SageTV server that controls my Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 (Time Warner Cable).

I've got SageTV set to know that there are four digits required, so it will prefix all channels with enough zeros.

Any time (any time) I change a channel MANUALLY, it works like a charm. Use the up/down arrows, manually enter channels, use the guide, doesn't matter how...but it ALWAYS works.

However, scheduled programs have issues 50-75% of the time. Say it's trying to tune Comedy Central (Channel 58). This is what I might see from the STB as it's changing channels:

0 <pause> 0 <pause> 5 <pause>
STB on-screen display drops off for a split second and comes back
8 <pause>

The channel is now on 8, instead of 58.

Sometimes it's two digits before the OSD disappears and reappears, sometimes it's one. Regardless, the channel changing isn't consistent...and it's ONLY with scheduled recordings.

This, of course, makes no sense to me. I would expect the systems (Sage, USB-UIRT, and the STB) would react identically to a "0058" coming from a manual change vs. a scheduled one. There should be zero difference.

Yet, I go from 100% success manually to 25-50% success via scheduled programs.

I've moved my IR blaster all over the place with respect to the STB, I've reprogrammed it with the cable remote, I've messed with the Sage IR settings (milliseconds between numbers, etc). Nothing seems to fix it, and it's tough to test because I have to wait for a scheduled program to see if it's failing. I've been at this for about a week and a half, and have missed a TON of my scheduled programs because of it.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Thanks...
AL
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 04-12-2008, 01:57 AM

I have the same exact issue with channel selection with my Dish receiver. Tonight it cost me the repeat of BSG season premier.. I got an hour of PBS instead of SCI-Fi channel.

This has frustrated me since switching to Dish last year.. but I've yet to dig a solution. I'll be curious on other's input on the cause.
Old 04-12-2008, 02:18 AM
Sage Fanatic

It sounds like the set top box is looking for 3 digits, not 4.

Other than that, all I can suggest is changing the time delay between each code being sent, just in case the set top box is a little sensitive.

Under the source setup, go to the source in question, then 'Tuner Control', then 'Remote Control Options'.

There is an option 'Delay Between Codes'. Mine is set to 33 msec.

When I first installed Sage and programmed the USBUIRT, I didn't change the delay and the channel change was very slow. Its now much faster.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
It sounds like the set top box is looking for 3 digits, not 4.
Nope, definitely not. I have 4 digit channels.

Quote:
Other than that, all I can suggest is changing the time delay between each code being sent, just in case the set top box is a little sensitive.

Under the source setup, go to the source in question, then 'Tuner Control', then 'Remote Control Options'.

There is an option 'Delay Between Codes'. Mine is set to 33 msec.

When I first installed Sage and programmed the USBUIRT, I didn't change the delay and the channel change was very slow. Its now much faster.
I've been having cable box issues, so I've really been unable to confirm my changes. It was at 150ms, then I tried 300ms, and recently dropped it to 50ms to see how that works.

Thanks for the info...
Media Server / NAS:
Case: Thermaltake Armor CPU: AMD Opteron 1218 (2.6GHz Dual Core) Motherboard: ASUS MN2-LR Memory: 2GB Gfx Card: Headless Tuner: Hauppauge HD-PVR, Hauppauge PVR-350 (not in use) O/S: Windows 7 Sage: Latest RAID: On-Board Drives: 6 x 1.5TB SATA RAID-5, 2 x 80GB IDE RAID-1 (O/S) Storage: 7.5TB Total
Old 04-13-2008, 10:40 PM
Sage Aficionado

Well, that didn't take long. First recorded channel change failed. Ugh.

Any ideas?
Media Server / NAS:
Old 04-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Sage Fanatic

All I can suggest is to watch the output direct from the cable box and see what codes appear on the screen when it does the channel change, like you have already done.

The box isn't in standby when the channel change is sent is it?
Old 04-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The box isn't in standby when the channel change is sent is it?
The cable box or my server? In either case, no, they're not in standby (never are).

---
Ugh, I am at my wits end with this. Been fighting with it for well over a week and am missing scheduled recordings constantly.

I've tried everything from 33ms to 1000ms.

The cable box is definitely balking at something...say for example a schedule changes the channel to 58. The On-Screen-Display for the cable box does something like this a lot of the time (from my first post):

Quote:
0 <pause> 0 <pause> 5 <pause>
STB on-screen display drops off for a split second and comes back
8 <pause>
So, I end up recording channel 8 instead of 58. Sometimes I get lucky and it does 0 0 <OSD issue> 5 8 and I actually get 58, but the same symptom is pretty regularly there.

I'd point this at the cable box, if it weren't for two things:
1) The same thing's happened on a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 as well as the Pioneer unit that I have now.
2) It rarely (if ever) happens when I change the channel manually (using guide or numbers), but it almost always happens when the scheduler changes the channel.

I guess it's time to open a support case. Tired of trying to debug this and tired of missing so many shows.

If anyone has any further ideas (thanks to those so far who've tried to help), please let me know. I'll update this thread with Sage support info.
Media Server / NAS:

Last edited by Addict; 04-18-2008 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:00 AM
Sage Aficionado

For historical purposes, just to close this out, it appears that it's going to be the cable box(es) despite the fact that they were both different manufacturers.

It dawned on me after submitting a support request to Sage that Time Warner recently changed the GUI on these SD boxes...right around the same time I started having issues. So, I believed it might be a software problem on the cable box.

That being said, I (just) got around to taking it back to Time Warner and since I've had so much trouble they decided to give me an HD box...and so far, so good. All channel changes have been accurate for the past few hours. If you don't hear from me again, that's the solution!

(just watched it change another channel successfully...) <smile>
Media Server / NAS:
Old 05-26-2008, 11:39 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
For historical purposes, just to close this out, it appears that it's going to be the cable box(es) despite the fact that they were both different manufacturers.
Thanks for taking the trouble to close out your issue. I am having, seemingly, the same exact problem.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lezouave@earthu View Post
Thanks for taking the trouble to close out your issue. I am having, seemingly, the same exact problem.
Yeah, no worries. I can confirm it was definitely the SD boxes. The HD box has been ROCK solid. No issues what-so-ever.
Media Server / NAS: