SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Sage User

How to force Sage to use a newer version of Java?

OK, I feel like an idiot. I'm not a beginner when it comes to Java programming, but I can't seem to get my Sage installation on Windows Home Server to use the newer version of Java I installed.

I installed the JDK, version 1.6.0_06, to its default installation location (C:\Program Files\Java) along with its public JRE, but for whatever reason SageTV doesn't want to use it.

I know this because I've been fighting some periodic (and still unexplained) instability with my setup. I sometimes get Blue Screens of Death, which I'm attributing to a driver problem, but more frequently the JVM just stops, along with hs_err file which claims it's from Java version 1.6.0-b105.

What's the secret to getting Sage to use this newer version? I had this newer version installed before I installed Sage; what else is there?

Thanks for any help!

Rich
Old 06-11-2008, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Try uninstalling all older versions of java through add/remove programs. This is not done automatically when you install a new version. They just stack up.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 06-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Sage Icon

I like:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32125

cleans out all the old versions
Old 06-11-2008, 06:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui View Post
Try uninstalling all older versions of java through add/remove programs. This is not done automatically when you install a new version. They just stack up.

Aloha,
Mike
The only installations of Java I see in add/remove programs are the JDK/JRE I installed, which is 1.6.0_06. The version that comes with SageTV isn't in there.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 PM
SageTVaholic

What version does Sage report on the System Information screen? That's the version it's actually using.

Also, if you have more than one Java version installed, you can enable or disable them individually using the Java Control Panel applet.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt91 View Post
I like:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32125

cleans out all the old versions
I had seen that but I was wary of adding one more thing to the mix, if you know what I mean.

However, I took the old-fashioned approach and--with the SageTV service shut down, of course--deleted the jre folder in the SageTV installation. When I restarted SageTV I see that it is, in fact, using the new version.

(One more thing: this might be working because I had previously set my PATH to include the new Java location. I can't restart the server because my daughter's not done "testing" yet--she's in the middle of watching a show. :-) When she's done I'll remove Java from the PATH and try again.)

Thanks for the tips!

Rich

P.S., Anyone else spend more time tinkering with this stuff than actually watching TV? I'm not complaining, I just find it ironic.
Old 06-11-2008, 06:44 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
What version does Sage report on the System Information screen? That's the version it's actually using.
1.6.0-b105

Quote:
Also, if you have more than one Java version installed, you can enable or disable them individually using the Java Control Panel applet.
I didn't know that, but I was able to solve the problem; see below (er, above).

Thanks,
Rich
Old 12-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Sage Icon

I was just going to come looking for the answer to why several plugins wouldn't update on my WHS (old version) wouldn't update, but the same ones updated just fine on my Win8 backup SageTV server.

Java version, the definite culprit. I stopped SageTV/Service, renamed the JRE folder in SageTV so SageTV couldn't "find" it yet still easily reversible.
Installed Java 1.7 that I had in my downloads folder and shut off Java 1.6 in the Java CPL. In addition to the version in the SageTV folder I also had a 1.6 folder in Programs.

Rebooted the machine and the plugins all updated.

Last edited by waynedunham; 12-18-2015 at 08:09 PM. Reason: speeeeeeling error