SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Sage User

ALERT!! Newbie question :)

Hey folks. I have a Sony 42 HDMI capable tv.
My nVidia card is a dual DVI out with HDMI settings.

My TV also accepts std VGA input. Currently I have the video out going to the VGA input. The problem I am having is that I have this black boarder around the screen.

When I switch to HDMI using a DVI-HDMI cable will this problem go away or is there some setting I need to use?

I looked into the settings on the TV and the only way I could remove it was to use the Zoom feature and this of course causes clipping all the way around. You don't notice it until you pull up Information or the menu.

Any suggestions? As my wife said, "I paid for a 42" screen I dang well better see it on the WHOLE 42"s!!!!!" Although not that nicely
Old 06-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Sage Icon

Whats the part# on the TV, it's totally up to Sony on how they will behave via VGA/HDMI. If you now the native resolution of the screen use that via VGA. Otherwise HDMI will run at 720p or 1080i neither of which is likely to be the actual native resolution of the screen.

I'm going to venture a guess and say you are using 1024x768 on a 16:9 42" TV thats native resolution is more like 1366x768. If so just change your display resolution to 1366x768. However I can totally see Sony (aka Satan) forcing you into a 4:3 aspect via VGA just to be a PITA.

My plasma will not accept 1366x768 via HDMI so I am still using VGA as the scaling from 720p or 1080i to 768p caused text while websurfing to be too difficult to read.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:31 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sounds like an overscan issue. How large is the black border? Somewhere in your video card settings should be some adjustment for overscan, enabling you to get rid of the black bars. Also, as CollinR says, you should make sure your output resolution is set to the native resolution of your TV for best results.

-Dan