SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-17-2008, 06:02 AM
Sage Icon

Allow file Deletion under File Browser Options question

Last night I encountered an issue where my cable went out. This caused the recording files to be broken into a lot of pieces. When I attempted to view the files an error was shown and the files were removed. Today, I was seaching the manual to see if there was any information about automatic file deletion. I found the Allow File Deletion option, it was on and I have turned it off. I cannot find any documentation about why a file should be deleted. I do not see how a resonable decision can be made about this option without knowing when or why Sage may delete a file. It is not even clear if this would have prevented my files from being deleted. I am unhappy about the file deletion because it appears that the cable went out a half hour into one of favorites. I had planned on watching at least the first 30 minutes. But the file is gone, this is the second time I have seen an issue like this.

Does anyone know why or when Sage will delete files? Why was this option added? Does this option have anything to do with what I encountered last night?
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:29 AM
SageTVaholic

That option enables manual deletion of files through the file browser UI. It has nothing to do with the automatic deletion of failed recordings, which is what happened to you from the sound of it. If Sage encounters errors during recording that make the recording unuseable, it deletes the damaged file(s) to save disk space. As far as I know there's no option to prevent that.