SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:42 PM
SageTVaholic

It certainly isn't necessary, but I'll vouch for the fact that it is very nice to have settings available on the web interface. Having the settings accessible in both places (web and interface) would be very nice indeed.

I'd also like to have the log available via the web.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
It certainly isn't necessary, but I'll vouch for the fact that it is very nice to have settings available on the web interface. Having the settings accessible in both places (web and interface) would be very nice indeed.

I'd also like to have the log available via the web.
It used to annoy me that much of BTV could only be configured from the web interface. I would not like to see this situation arise in Sage.

Given that maintaining multiple controls that do the same thing would take programing resources, qa resources, documentation resources, UI designer resources etc (hopefully not in that order ) I'd not be in favour of this kind of multiplicity without any real benefit.

I'd reckon there was a good reason for changing sagemc so that it reverts to the standard stv for configuration settings.

I suppose that if you were to design a generic configuration framework which separated the presentation of the options using XUL or somethng this might be practical though there would need to be other benefits to justify the effort imho.

Being able to do the same thing in multiple places might come in handy but I'd much rather see the time and effort (aka money) go into adding more useful features such as a wm6/iphone version of placeshifter for example.

Mick.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:55 AM
SageTVaholic

Why wouldn't you just fire up Placeshifter for any configurations over the web?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Why wouldn't you just fire up Placeshifter for any configurations over the web?

Gerry
Its not the desire to change the settings over the web, its the desire of having a different way of changing settings. I am not a big fan of clicking through menus on tv or my tv to find settings to change. I enjoy being able to use a web server application to change settings. I also think in this day and age, most users who would like to use a program like Sage expect such an application.

I have not seen BTV Web Admin in over a year, but I have to say once you got use to it, it made life so much easier. Of course, I had to get use to it before controlling servers via web applications became a norm.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 08-01-2008, 10:06 AM
SageTVaholic

I'm sort of with Gerry in his comment that there are other things I'd rather SageTV dev's work on first, but again it would be nice to have settings accessible on a web browser.

I will admit that there were plenty of BTV users (myself included) that complained that not all of the settings were accessible in the 10-foot interface and you had to open up a web browser to change them. If I had to choose between web settings OR built into the GUI I would choose built into the GUI.
Old 08-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'm sort of with Gerry in his comment that there are other things I'd rather SageTV dev's work on first, but again it would be nice to have settings accessible on a web browser.

I will admit that there were plenty of BTV users (myself included) that complained that not all of the settings were accessible in the 10-foot interface and you had to open up a web browser to change them. If I had to choose between web settings OR built into the GUI I would choose built into the GUI.
I remember that. And I think I went kicking and screaming into web admin. But like I said, when I first started using BTV, web applications were new and now they seem like the norm. Maybe a reorganization of the gui controls would make more sense. One of the problems with Sage is that its so customizable that remembering where the options are can get annoying, especially for a new user.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 08-01-2008, 12:05 PM
Sage Icon

All the "web admin" requests are from former BeyondTV users. I'm one of them and it was one of the features I liked about BTV when I first tried it. But seriously, I don't miss it at all. Once I have SageTV configured properly, I don't need to change the system settings much. Nielm's web server is fantastic and does everything I need for web control. And as Gerry says, the placeshifter is the other option. It works much faster than a web page, you don't have to wait for a page to reload.

- SageTV 7.1.9 Server. Win7 32bit in VMWare Fusion. HDHR (FiOS Coax). HDHR Prime 3 Tuners (FiOS Cable Card). Gemstone theme.
- SageTV HD300 - HDMI 1080p Samsung 75" LED.