SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

Batch IMDB import?

Is there a way to do a batch imdb import of my movies? I have 500 or so movies on my computer and I really did not want to have to import each one manually. Please someone tell me there is a way!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:52 PM
Sage Expert

+1
Old 07-02-2008, 08:03 PM
Sage Advanced User

bump...Anyone?
Old 07-02-2008, 08:38 PM
SageTVaholic

I wish there was a way.

Because a mass-IMDB import wasn't available I used DVD Profiler and SageMC to do a mass import instead. Works well, but I'd prefer not to have to use DVD Profiler.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:47 PM
SageTVaholic

FYI... I'm currently working on something similar. If I every get it finished I'll post it here.

I'm using Nielm's IMDB tools to do a lookup against imdb using the filename. A list of results are presented, and when selected, it will fetch the imdb data and write it to the .properties and fetch the imdb thumnail and write it to the thumnail location.

So far I have it working for 1 item, but it's interactive. I'm not sure how "batch" i'll bet able to make it, since the IMDB results usually return more than 1 hit.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
I'm using Nielm's IMDB tools to do a lookup against imdb using the filename. A list of results are presented, and when selected, it will fetch the imdb data and write it to the .properties and fetch the imdb thumnail and write it to the thumnail location.
Sorta like this?

John
Old 07-02-2008, 09:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JREkiwi View Post
Sorta like this?

John
That looks interesting for sure. Can it do this:
With Snapstream's BeyondTV there was a way to run a "search database for new DVD's" and it would search IMDB and a few other sources for DVD covers and metadata. It did it for the entire database and only added info for those that didn't already have covers/metadata.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
That looks interesting for sure. Can it do this:...
No

John
Old 07-03-2008, 05:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Sorta like this?
Sort of but I wasn't looking at using it with stv.... I wanted a stand alone, console based program. But just same, i'll check it out... for ideas.

Just curious... does your plugin support a bulk/batch load feature... because that's really the end goal for me. (EDIT: I see you already answered it above )

Thanks.

Last edited by stuckless; 07-03-2008 at 05:50 AM.
Old 07-03-2008, 06:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
... a bulk/batch load feature...
"search database for new DVD's" that would search IMDB and a few other sources for DVD covers and metadata for the entire video/movie database is on the SageMC feature requests list - added on 6/1.

I'm sure this would be a very popular addition... Would be nice to see on the default STV also.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Just curious... does your plugin support a bulk/batch load feature... because that's really the end goal for me. (EDIT: I see you already answered it above )
It does do a bulk/batch load of data from .my files into the database and can add info only for those videos that didn't already have metadata, but you still need to have got the data for the .my files from somewhere.

John
Old 07-03-2008, 03:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It does do a bulk/batch load of data from .my files into the database....
The part that I'm hoping to create, is a tool that generates the .properties files.... then by "touching" the video files, Sage will automatically import the metadata from .properties. The real problem is automating the .properties file generation in a batch run, since the imdb tools doesn't give a progmatic indication as to whether the search result was an exact match, popular match, or similar match

BTW, I have no idea what .my are
Old 07-04-2008, 04:11 PM
Sage User

I switch to using DVD Profiler. I was able to categorize 30 DVDs per hour; only 30 because many of my folder names did not perfectly match the movie title and I had to fix them.

Now my process is:
1) put in DVD on the server
2) open dvd profiler
3) open my ripping program
4) go to dvd profiler and click the add button. It 'knows' the dvd already and adds to my database.
5) adjust the target directory in the rip program to match dvd profiler dvd title
6) start rip
7) export dvd profiler db
8) .. sometime later, I rerun the dvd profiler import from sagemc.

I like that it puts the movie rating (pg, pg-13, R, etc.) in the meta data. ... makes it easier to choose an appropriate movie when kids are around. IMDB interface did not do that.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:36 PM
Sage Icon

Would it be possible to do a batch IMDB lookup to create the .properties files and display the results to choose from on each video, but instead of going back to the menu after you save the info of a video it will just show the results of the next video in the folder without a .properties file? And so on...
Old 07-07-2008, 02:29 PM
SageTVaholic

That's actually very close to what I'm doing with the tool i'm currently writing... BUT, this is a commandline tool and NOT a stv plugin.

Once I get the commandline tool working better, I may look into creating an STV as well, but honestly, I get lost everytime I look at stvs.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

bump...
Old 07-17-2008, 08:26 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm almost done a prototype that I will release in a couple of days... maybe even as early as Friday or Saturday... Depends on how much family gets in the way I'll give more details then.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:17 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm almost done a prototype that I will release in a couple of days... maybe even as early as Friday or Saturday... Depends on how much family gets in the way I'll give more details then.
Looking forward to it. Thanks!
Old 07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
Sage User

xbmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
Looking forward to it. Thanks!
Someone should check out the batch imdb import for xbmc/linux. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me could figure out how to use it for sage. It works quite well, and for those that do not get a match and remain blank or those that get the wrong info, it is easy to fix from the UI with the remote. Basically tell it to look again on imdb for the selected movie (you can modify the name for lookup at this time) then it will come back with a list of matches and you pick the right one. Out of my 650 movies, probably 85% were matched correctly and automatically, then about 10% had no match and 5% matched incorrectly.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
SageTVaholic

You can try out the current version of stuckless's work here:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34301