SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:46 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkent View Post
Thanks for the speedy update, I have installed it and it looks good so far, but need to let it run for a few days to be sure. I have version 1.4 usbuirt drivers. Btw, I am using this with the new Cisco (Scientific Atlanta) Uverse stb and its doing a great job keeping them alive. Thanks again for this very professional service.
Hi lgkent,

Does the Cisco STB use the same IR code that is already included for the Motorola STB, or did you have to capture and configure new IR data command for this unit? If you did have to capture a new IR data command, would you mind posting it to this thread for other potential future users.

Thank You!
Capture Devices: 2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM, HD Homerun
Media Extenders: 2 @ Sage HD100 & 1 @ Sage HD200
Signals/Providers: AT&T UVerse, OTA ATSC
Set-Top-Box: 2 @ Motorola Box VIP 1200
Old 10-31-2008, 06:41 AM
Sage Aficionado

I just experienced the 100% CPU usage problem with your great tool and Sage. Took me awhile to figure out what the problem was, but surfaced when trying to add a new tuner. I'm not sure which version I have, so I will double check later on today. If I do have the latest version I will also try and change the user so that both Sage and STBKeepAlive are under the same user.

Sage Server: i5-2500K 8 GB DDR, 6000gb HDD, 4xHD-PVR < 4xBell 6141, Win7 x64
Client 1: HD-200, Panasonic 42PX75
Client 2: HD-300, Samsung LCD
Client 3: HD-300, Samsung PN50C550
Client 4: MS Surface Pro
Old 10-31-2008, 07:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividweb View Post
I just experienced the 100% CPU usage problem with your great tool and Sage. Took me awhile to figure out what the problem was, but surfaced when trying to add a new tuner. I'm not sure which version I have, so I will double check later on today. If I do have the latest version I will also try and change the user so that both Sage and STBKeepAlive are under the same user.
Hi vividweb,

Please keep me posted if this continues to happen with the above fix and user configuration suggestions. If this problem persists, I have an idea on another route to try.

Thanks,
shadeBlue
Capture Devices: 2 @ Hauppauge HD-PVR (1212), Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1600 ATSC/QAM, HD Homerun
Old 11-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Smile Thanks in Advance

I just downloaded your handy software. I have a DISH VIP612 which only needs a 'select' sent to the VIP 612 to show the channel playback instead of their ' Press Select to Watch TV' message after every program guide update.

Thank you in advance of installing and testing.
Satelite: Dish VIP622 Bronze HD Pacakge, HD PVR Rev E1 1.5.6.1
TV1: Vizio 42" LCD 1080P 60HZ, Sage HD200, Yamaha 6.1
TV2: Samsung 26" LCD720P 60HZ, Sage HD200, TV Sound
Network: Airlink 300N to DLINK DAP-1522 to Sage HD200
Old 11-04-2008, 08:33 AM
Sage Aficionado

shadeBlue

I made sure that I have the latest version of the plugin and reinstalled, but am still getting 100% CPU on my server. Haven't figured out specifically if it is a certain part of Sage that generates the conflict or if it is just random. I found a way to keep my STB's alive without this tool, but would still be willing to test any updates you want to try.

Also I could not find a way to change the user that service runs under, I my machine in runs under System instead of a username.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:06 AM
SageTVaholic

Use the SageTV Control application and change the user name and password there. Or go to SWindows ervices and change it there.

The other thing is you may want to make sure that each time you try to import it again to go back to the default SageTV3.xml and import it clean. Don't continue to import it in one that you had already imported it into.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:20 AM
Sage Advanced User

2 days of Testing and Still Working

Big Thanks!!!!!

DISH VIP612, HD-HVR, USB UIRT, HTPC running for 2 days now and no issues found yet.

I set up the program to blast the 'select' command to the VIP612 every six hours and after the 3:00am update.

Great Job!!
Satelite: Dish VIP622 Bronze HD Pacakge, HD PVR Rev E1 1.5.6.1
TV1: Vizio 42" LCD 1080P 60HZ, Sage HD200, Yamaha 6.1
TV2: Samsung 26" LCD720P 60HZ, Sage HD200, TV Sound
Network: Airlink 300N to DLINK DAP-1522 to Sage HD200
Old 11-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Use the SageTV Control application and change the user name and password there. Or go to SWindows ervices and change it there.

The other thing is you may want to make sure that each time you try to import it again to go back to the default SageTV3.xml and import it clean. Don't continue to import it in one that you had already imported it into.

Gerry
Gerry, I'm confused by your answer. The SageTV service is running as a specific user and was changed in the service control, STBKeepAlive currently runs as system, I forgot about the services panel to try and change it.

STBKeepAlive runs separate from Sage, it does not get imported into the Sage XML files.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:07 AM
SageTVaholic

I wasn't sure you were able to change the SageTV service to run as a users with a password and administrator privileges. Sorry for the confusion.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

This utility is a great idea but I don't know that it will work for me as I have 2 SA boxes and they don't appear to have discrete power on IR codes. Therefore I could be doing more harm than good by sending a power toggle code. But I do have a use for this as my boxes do shut themselves off about every 1-2 months, presumably after a software update by my cable co.

Would it be possible to actually first check to see if there is a valid video signal coming from a source.

What I am thinking is for Sage to make a dummy recording for 1-2 minutes and then run it through a video file analyzer. If Comksip can determine when a commercial starts and stops then certainly you should be able to determine whether there is a valid video signal? If there is a valid signal then you're fine, otherwise send a power toggle. Anyone want to take up this challenge?
Old 11-04-2008, 02:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by vividweb View Post
shadeBlue

I made sure that I have the latest version of the plugin and reinstalled, but am still getting 100% CPU on my server. Haven't figured out specifically if it is a certain part of Sage that generates the conflict or if it is just random. I found a way to keep my STB's alive without this tool, but would still be willing to test any updates you want to try.

Also I could not find a way to change the user that service runs under, I my machine in runs under System instead of a username.
Hi vividweb,
Sorry to hear that it is still having issues. You can change the user account the STBKeepAlive service runs as in the "Services" manager under "Control Panel / Administrative Tools".

What is your other keep alive solution, maybe that could help other users.

I have an idea on creating another version of this service that communicates the IR instruction to Sage via the Sage API and relies on Sage to send the signal rather than accessing the USBUIRT directly via its API. Or better yet, just build the whole implementation as a Sage plugin rather than a separate stand-alone utility. If I do this as a Java based Sage plugin, maybe it could be useful for non-Windows users as well.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:07 PM
Sage Aficionado

I can disable the box from going into sleep mode, I also have to disable the box from doing an automatic guide update. I had tried disabling the sleep mode, but the receivers were still going into standby until I disabled there automatic update feature as well.

I'll try changing the account the service uses and see if that gives any other results.

Old 11-05-2008, 11:54 AM
SageTVaholic

I have had an email conversation with Erik from Comskip on how to use Comskip to test for whether your STB is active by parsing the comskip log and looking for either - number of frames, maximum volume or average brightness.

Does anyone want to take up this challenge?

The way I would see it working is like this:

1. Have Sage record a short (5 min?) manual recording.
2. Run this recording through Comskip.
3. Check the comskip logs to see if it appears that the STB is alive.
4. If it is then no action required.
5. If it is not then send out KeepAlive power toggle.
6. Run steps 1-3 one more time.
7. If box still doesn't appear to be alive then send an error message - perhaps sending an email out to notify that the box appears to be dead.

You could try running the above routine every day during the early morning (8 am?) to make sure that your box is still powered on - my experience is that boxes shut off in the middle of the night when your cable co sends out some sort of a software upgrade.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
I have had an email conversation with Erik from Comskip on how to use Comskip to test for whether your STB is active by parsing the comskip log and looking for either - number of frames, maximum volume or average brightness.

Does anyone want to take up this challenge?

The way I would see it working is like this:

1. Have Sage record a short (5 min?) manual recording.
2. Run this recording through Comskip.
3. Check the comskip logs to see if it appears that the STB is alive.
4. If it is then no action required.
5. If it is not then send out KeepAlive power toggle.
6. Run steps 1-3 one more time.
7. If box still doesn't appear to be alive then send an error message - perhaps sending an email out to notify that the box appears to be dead.

You could try running the above routine every day during the early morning (8 am?) to make sure that your box is still powered on - my experience is that boxes shut off in the middle of the night when your cable co sends out some sort of a software upgrade.
Interesting concept :-)

For my purposes, I was looking for a solution that was preventative and proactive opposed to reactive ... meaning that I wanted to ensure that my STB never goes into sleep mode rather than detecting when this happens and trying to recover. However, some STBs may not provide a safe way to do this and a solution like the one you proposed may be needed.

Thanks,
shadeBlue
Old 11-05-2008, 01:39 PM
SageTVaholic

I wish that SA boxes had a discrete power on so that this was not required. One interesting thing in my proposal that would be useful for everyone would be a periodic check to make sure that video files are being encoded ok. It might be nice to have your Sage system send you an email if something appears to be wrong.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
Sage User

First of all, thanks for this great utility.

I have setup STBKeepAlive to manage my Dish Network VIP211s. My only need seemed to be getting them turned on each day. I have turned off automatic updates, I think, but the STBs still turn off every day in the early morning hours.

I discovered that sending a "SELECT" command will always turn it on, if it is off, and leave it on, if it is on. Great so far, but then I discovered that although it is on it is in some kind of sleep mode and requires another "SELECT" command to wake it up. I thought, no problem, I'll setup STBKeepAlive to send additional "SELECT" commands throughout the day. Well what seemed easy is not working. I still find the STB in sleep mode and pressing the "SELECT" key on it's remote, immediately wakes it up.

Looking for ideas.

TIA
Old 11-05-2008, 07:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpott6 View Post
First of all, thanks for this great utility.

I have setup STBKeepAlive to manage my Dish Network VIP211s. My only need seemed to be getting them turned on each day. I have turned off automatic updates, I think, but the STBs still turn off every day in the early morning hours.

I discovered that sending a "SELECT" command will always turn it on, if it is off, and leave it on, if it is on. Great so far, but then I discovered that although it is on it is in some kind of sleep mode and requires another "SELECT" command to wake it up. I thought, no problem, I'll setup STBKeepAlive to send additional "SELECT" commands throughout the day. Well what seemed easy is not working. I still find the STB in sleep mode and pressing the "SELECT" key on it's remote, immediately wakes it up.

Looking for ideas.

TIA
Can you verify that the SELECT command is being sent out from STBKeepAlive successfully? If you run it in console mode, there is an option to run the last command (or if you only have one command defined, it will run that one). When sending this command verify that the STB is receiving a SELECT command.

If this is already working properly, you can try changing the logging threshold to DEBUG and capturing a debug log file. In this log file it should display the times the command was transmitted, this can help verify that the scheduled command are being sent out correctly. Here is how to change the logging to the DEBUG level in the 'STBKeepAlive.exe.config' file (restart program after change):

Code:
    <appender name="FileAppender" type="log4net.Appender.FileAppender">     
      <file value="STBKeepAlive.log" />

<!-- ************************************************ -->
      <!-- NOTE:  To enable detailed logging in the log     -->
      <!--        file, change this threshold value to      -->
      <!--        'DEBUG'.                                  -->
      <!-- ************************************************ -->
      <threshold value="DEBUG" />
      <appendToFile value="true" />
      <layout type="log4net.Layout.PatternLayout">
        <conversionPattern value="%date [%thread] %-5level %logger [%property{NDC}] - %message%newline" />
      </layout>
    </appender>
Old 11-06-2008, 01:03 AM
Sage User

Thanks for the reply and sorry I didn't see it sooner tonight.

I will have to wait till tomorrow to try your suggestions, need to get some sleep.

I 'll report back once I have tested.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have problem that this would nearly fix.

In HK a lot of channels have dual language soundtracks. If the STB is powered off for any reason all channels default to language A (Cantonese)
I want language B (English).

STBKeepAlive would enable me to power off the STB, turn it on again and set the language of those channels that need this doing. I would like them to do this once a day but only when Sage is not recording. Is it possible to poll Sage (or NeilM's webserver) and have STBkeepalive run at an allotted time but only if Sage is not already recording on that box?
Old 11-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by something fishy View Post
I have problem that this would nearly fix.

In HK a lot of channels have dual language soundtracks. If the STB is powered off for any reason all channels default to language A (Cantonese)
I want language B (English).

STBKeepAlive would enable me to power off the STB, turn it on again and set the language of those channels that need this doing. I would like them to do this once a day but only when Sage is not recording. Is it possible to poll Sage (or NeilM's webserver) and have STBkeepalive run at an allotted time but only if Sage is not already recording on that box?
Yes, with a modification to the program, this type of (optional) behavior could be added. When a scheduled tasks time arrives, I can have it check the current recording list in via Nielm's webserver before executing. It would only check the current recording list, not future, upcoming recordings, so you would probably want to schedule the task just after the start time of typical programming, such as 5 minutes after the top of the hour.

Let me know if you want me to proceed with this solution.

Thanks,
shadeBlue