SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-21-2008, 04:19 PM
Sage Aficionado

HDPVR add a fan?

I have a HDPVR C1 version. Like most people I am having TERRIBLE trouble with the device locking up. Supposedly this is due to an overheating issue, from all that I have read.

Is anyone adding a "case fan" type of thing. I was thinking you could cut a hole in the top of the case and mount a small PC fan to draw air into it.

Has anyone tried it? Willl Hauppauge offer any kind of upgrade to the C2 version, or are the early adopters just hozed?
Old 09-21-2008, 04:54 PM
Sage Advanced User

AFAIK, you can still contact Hauppauge and get a newer one. I have one of the original units. It sat on my desk for a few weeks unused and during that time the reports poured in about it's overheating issue.

Before I ever even turned it on, I popped the top off and added a 150 mm fan from an old DEC server I had lying around. Never had a problem with it.

From what I hear the new ones have a fan but no airholes for actual circulation. I'm happier with my solution.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Sage Fanatic

You could request Hauppauge RMA your unit for a C2.

I added a 120mm fan to my C2, the original fan in the C2 is a joke. See this website; h**p://blog.arogan.com/2008/06/hauppauge-hd-pvr-model-1212.html

For pictures of how to add a fan. I removed the top and the second clear piece, mounting the fan to the third piece down from the top.

My unit has never locked up.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:53 AM
Sage User

Im going to put a 120mm silent fan in my unit soon. I first had to open the top for the unit to stop locking at least the heat can now exit the unit. But now i am still getting random lockups, not to mention the supa cheep fan they put in there is Soooo noisy its unbeliveable. Its noisier than my whole computer with 1 250mm fan, 2 120mm and 1 80mm fan. I mean com on Hauppauge, a hardware that is potentially used for recording several hours a day, that runs hot, and no exaust on the box, not to mention the cheep fan that was fine at first but now rattles like crazy. My gf first tought some ppl were building something outside, but it actually was the unit.

I don't see any "warranty" stickers so i would not see why the warranty would be void if you are carefull when removing the rubber pads under the unit to get to the screws, and don't break the plastic when splitting the clear part from the top.There was no plastic film under the rubber in my case. Just some glue.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

Finally ended up doing the fan mod last night. I have the C2 revision unit and although I had been getting intermittent lockups once in a while, the lockups never happened while recording a program or while watching Live TV. Last night was the final straw when the unit locked up halfway during a recording and it eventually ended up locking up my computer and screwed up all my recordings at that time.
The original fan in the C2 revision serves absolutely no purpose as it nowhere close to the chipset (the one that heats up). This makes me wonder if the people at Hauppauge were thinking through their ass when they decided that putting a puny fan in a case with absolutely no ventilation would solve the chipset heating/lockup problems.
I added a 120mm Yate Loon D12SL and undervolted it to 5V and attached it to the clear plastic top. Rather than connecting it to an usb port, I ended up routing a power cable from my HTPC case and connecting it directly to the PSU. So far everything seems to be working well and the 120mm fan is whisper quiet.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:13 AM
Sage Expert

I just bought the HD-PVR yesterday locally and it has not worked well at all. I am wondering with the heat issue, does the unit have to be powered off for 15- 20 minutes or does a power off and on correct the issue?
I have only been able to get mine working again after having it powered off for a period of time.
Mine is a D1 revison. Currently I am thinking I will bring it back to the store and switch it for another unit.
not very happy
Old 09-26-2008, 12:49 PM
Sage Fanatic

People says the D1 version has vent holes and can feel airflow going into the unit.

Is that your experience too?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:44 PM
Sage Expert

I will check this when I get home. I just swapped out the one I had with another at the store due to the unit not working correctly.
Mine was showing fine in the device manager but would not tune into any stations and giving me a black screen. In the capture app that comes with it, it was showing that capture rate and lines were 0
Old 10-04-2008, 01:20 PM
Sage Expert

The D1 revision has slots on the bottom.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:31 PM
Sage User

I did my 120mm fan mod the other day. I connected the fan inside my pc and undervolted it using a knob controller like the ones found on Zalman coolers. I Hooked up the fan using the fan<s screws and rubber pads. If you remove the top panel of the hd-pvr and look at the 4 sides, there are plastic peices where i could sit my fan. (barely) and screw the screws with the rubber pads so it stays in place. No velcro or anything else needed. I wanted to take pictures but i don't have any hosting site

Anyways, doing this, i still had lockups under windows xp and using 1.0b drivers. My xp install was getting old so i installed vista (fresh install) and installed the hd-pvr using 1.1 drivers. Did not have 1 lockup ever since.

120mm fan + 1.1 drivers in vista = no lockups and cool operation for me

Last edited by Lightarrow; 11-01-2008 at 02:33 PM.