SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Studio
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Studio Discussion related to the SageTV Studio application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the Studio software application should be posted here.

Old 01-12-2012, 06:44 AM
Sage Icon

Help on "IsEmbeddedSystem"

Hi,

I'm working on a server only plugin and I need to know whether the connected clients is one of the supported media extenders. I thought to use the IsEmbeddedSystem call (see the sageEvent code snippet below) however it always return "false".

Any help is appreciated and BTW sagex rocks!

HTML Code:
if (CLIENT_CONNECTED.equals(eventName))
{
    String MAC = (String)eventVars.get("MACAddress");			
    // It MUST be an extender
    if (MAC != null) 
    {
        UIContext context = new UIContext(MAC);
        // It must be an HD Media Extender (HD-x00)
        if (Global.IsEmbeddedSystem(context))
        {
            clients.put(MAC, new Extender((String)eventVars.get("IPAddress"), context));
        }
    }
} 

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 01-12-2012, 07:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by routerunner View Post
Hi,

I'm working on a server only plugin and I need to know whether the connected clients is one of the supported media extenders. I thought to use the IsEmbeddedSystem call (see the sageEvent code snippet below) however it always return "false".

Any help is appreciated and BTW sagex rocks!

HTML Code:
{
    if (MAC != null) 
    {
        // It must be an HD Media Extender (HD-x00)
        if (Global.IsEmbeddedSystem(context))
        {
            clients.put(MAC, new Extender((String)eventVars.get("IPAddress"), context));
        }
    }
} 
If you have the phoenix api installed, you can call... phoenix.util.IsExtender(ctx)... or at the very least, you can look at the code for it..

http://code.google.com/p/sagephoenix...l/UtilAPI.java
Old 01-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
If you have the phoenix api installed, you can call... phoenix.util.IsExtender(ctx)... or at the very least, you can look at the code for it..

http://code.google.com/p/sagephoenix...l/UtilAPI.java
Thanks for the information, I've replaced my snippet with the same piece of code that "IsExtender" API does:

[if (Global.IsRemoteUI(context) && !Global.IsDesktopUI(context)]

but unfortunately the test is still returning true when a PlaceShifter client is connected.

I think that "IsDesktopUI" is only working properly when called within the extender context, but cannot be used in a plugin running in the server context, however the "GetTimeSinceLastInput" works properly in the server context by passing the context object of the extender you want to get the information from.

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 01-12-2012, 08:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'm working on a server only plugin and I need to know whether the connected clients is one of the supported media extenders.
This is based on GKusnick Studio Tools, but similar ideas apply:

Code:
    public boolean isExtender(API sageApi) {
        return (sageApi.global.IsRemoteUI() && !sageApi.global.IsDesktopUI());
    }

public boolean isPlaceshifter(API sageApi) {
        return (sageApi.global.IsRemoteUI() && sageApi.global.IsDesktopUI());
    }

public boolean isMvp(API sageApi){
        return isExtender(sageApi) && sageApi.configuration.GetAudioOutputOptions() == null;
    }

public boolean isHDExtender(API sageApi){
        return isExtender(sageApi) && sageApi.configuration.GetAudioOutputOptions() != null;
    }
I've stripped the try/catch, and you could further differentiate the HD100/200/300 based on audio... So indeed that is what you are already testing...

Quote:
I think that "IsDesktopUI" is only working properly when called within the extender context
Of course, if you use the server's context then you are testing the server, not the client...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 01-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Check out the API docs for GetRemoteUIType() & try that call.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Sage Icon

Thank you very much for the useful information, but still no luck

I think the problem is how you generate the "UIContext" in the first place. My understanding from a server plugin perspective is:

- CLIENT_CONNECTED event gives you the UIContext as String and being the MAC address of the connected client, or null if is a Software Client, unfortunately a PlaceShifter will have the MAC address of the machine is running on, so no good for my purposes
- PLAYBACK_STARTED event gives you back the same UIContext as String and again being the MAC address of the client, brilliant!
- All the sage.api that supports an UIContext parameter expect a String and for extenders that string is the MAC address, unfortunately is a pain to access that APIs from java, then the fantastic "sagex.api" allows you to do the same thing, but they require a new object type for the UIContext, not a string any more, so my question is:

sage.api UIContext == sagex.api new UIContext(sage.api UIContext) ?

Because it does look like, but not in all occasions...

Quote:
Of course, if you use the server's context then you are testing the server, not the client...
Sorry, I meant calling IsDesktopUI(context) form where "context" is the Extender's context you want to get information from, not the server context.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Check out the API docs for GetRemoteUIType() & try that call.

- Andy
I tried that call already and for an HD200 & HD300 it does return null, however for a Placeshifter it does effectively return the string "Placeshifter".

The above is happening assuming the following code running in a server plugin inside the sageEvent method:

Code:
{
    if (MAC != null)
    {
        System.out.println(Global.GetRemoteUIType(context));
    }
}
Thanks
Eddy

Old 01-12-2012, 04:13 PM
Sage Icon

UIContext this friend...

I had further thoughts about my issues on using the "UIContext" and I think I've got a definitive answer and everybody is welcome to dismantle my theory

The main reason why the "UIContext" family of command exists is because you want to be able to get, set and control different clients connected to the same server, but from the server point of view and not from the client point of view because every client is running within its context already. But the question is, who determine when the context is ready to be used? I reckon that a client has its context defined and ready to be used only when the STV, for that client, is completely loaded and running, only at that point the context is valid and can be safely used.

In a server plugin you can register for different events, the "ClientConnected" is the one used to get the IP/MAC address of the connecting client, not the connected, in fact if you query any of the API that requires the UIContext just after receiving this event, the STV hasn't finished to load yet, hence you will receive false positives, but just after the STV is loaded and up and running, then the UIContext commands family works as expected and I can prove it.

People that develops STVs or STVi doesn't have this problem, because they can use the UIContext family of commands only when the UI is up and running.

Solution?

There are many solution to this issue and I'll deal with it, however the one I like most is to introduce an extra user registered event called "STVUpAndRunning" which will tell you when the STV is up and running and ready to be controlled by a server plugin with the UIContext family APIs.

Alternatively there is another existing event called "SystemMessagePosted" with one argument "SystemMessage". Does anyone knows the list of possible messages or whether there is a system message already that tells you when an STV is up and running?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Eddy

Old 01-12-2012, 04:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I had further thoughts about my issues on using the "UIContext" and I think I've got a definitive answer and everybody is welcome to dismantle my theory

The main reason why the "UIContext" family of command exists is because you want to be able to get, set and control different clients connected to the same server, but from the server point of view and not from the client point of view because every client is running within its context already. But the question is, who determine when the context is ready to be used? I reckon that a client has its context defined and ready to be used only when the STV, for that client, is completely loaded and running, only at that point the context is valid and can be safely used.

In a server plugin you can register for different events, the "ClientConnected" is the one used to get the IP/MAC address of the connecting client, not the connected, in fact if you query any of the API that requires the UIContext just after receiving this event, the STV hasn't finished to load yet, hence you will receive false positives, but just after the STV is loaded and up and running, then the UIContext commands family works as expected and I can prove it.

People that develops STVs or STVi doesn't have this problem, because they can use the UIContext family of commands only when the UI is up and running.

Solution?

There are many solution to this issue and I'll deal with it, however the one I like most is to introduce an extra user registered event called "STVUpAndRunning" which will tell you when the STV is up and running and ready to be controlled by a server plugin with the UIContext family APIs.

Alternatively there is another existing event called "SystemMessagePosted" with one argument "SystemMessage". Does anyone knows the list of possible messages or whether there is a system message already that tells you when an STV is up and running?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Eddy
Depending on how time sensitive your server code is... couldn't you just do something like...

Code:
final UIConext ctx = new UIContext(client);
Timer t = new Timer();
TimerTask task = new TimerTask() {
    public void run() {
         // do you checks using the ctx variable
    }
};
t.schedule(task, 60*1000);
That would run the code the code 60 seconds after the client connected. You could probably shorten the time.
Old 01-12-2012, 04:57 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Depending on how time sensitive your server code is... couldn't you just do something like...

Code:
final UIConext ctx = new UIContext(client);
Timer t = new Timer();
TimerTask task = new TimerTask() {
    public void run() {
         // do you checks using the ctx variable
    }
};
t.schedule(task, 60*1000);
That would run the code the code 60 seconds after the client connected. You could probably shorten the time.
Of course, as I said before, when you finally know what the problem is you can think at many ways to fix it; I was just suggesting a more clean, deterministic and future proof solution really

Eddy

Old 01-12-2012, 06:04 PM
SageTVaholic

You might be able to be a bit more crude on it, and just check the MAC prefix for Sage's OUI. All SageTV produced hardware will have a MAC address starting with 0023A5

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 01-12-2012, 06:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Of course, as I said before, when you finally know what the problem is you can think at many ways to fix it; I was just suggesting a more clean, deterministic and future proof solution really

Eddy
The whole UIContext thing is a PITA and any improvements would be welcome. Unfortunately I don't think we'll get any updates in this area given the Google acquisition.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:28 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
The whole UIContext thing is a PITA and any improvements would be welcome. Unfortunately I don't think we'll get any updates in this area given the Google acquisition.
I actually think the UI Context thing could be expanded upon... I think we've determined at this point that the separation of the UI Contexts and the Server process is required going forward. Many are already hitting the limits of the single Java Heap. I'm hoping any future versions of sagoogletv implement the extender UI Contexts in their own processes (with the capability to pull shared resources from the server process). This may actually simplify the core code base, as much of the client code could be shared with the extender host code.

Getting way off topic now though...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 10-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Sage Advanced User

Bad XML in GetMediaFiles Response?

I've been running the following command for weeks on a nightly basis to build an external file for myself. However, it seems to have started to fail sometime between tonight and a few weeks ago. I am unable to get the full result set from the following sagex request:

Code:
http://sagepc:8009/sagex/api?c=GetMediaFiles&1=VDBL&start=0&size=50

Google Chrome responds with:
Code:
This page contains the following errors:

error on line 180 at column 16: Specification mandate value for attribute Voice
Below is a rendering of the page up to the first error.
Full XML attached as 2.txt

And IE 8 responds with:
Code:
- <Result size="50">
- <MediaFile>
- <MediaFileFormatDescription>
- <![CDATA[ MPEG2-TS[H.264 16:9 720p@60fps, Dolby Digital/384Kbps@48kHz Stereo]
  ]]> 
  </MediaFileFormatDescription>
  <IsLibraryFile>true</IsLibraryFile> 
  <IsCompleteRecording>true</IsCompleteRecording> 
  <IsPictureFile>false</IsPictureFile> 
- <SegmentFiles size="1">
- <File>
- <![CDATA[ E:\StrangerThanFiction-1844288-0.ts
  ]]> 
  </File>
  </SegmentFiles>
- <MediaTitle>
- <![CDATA[ Stranger Than Fiction
  ]]> 
  </MediaTitle>
- <ParentDirectory>
- <![CDATA[ E:\
  ]]> 
  </ParentDirectory>
  <IsThumbnailLoaded>false</IsThumbnailLoaded> 
  <FileDuration>8981301</FileDuration> 
  <FileStartTime>1300406422464</FileStartTime> 
  <FileEndTime>1300415403765</FileEndTime> 
  <NumberOfSegments>1</NumberOfSegments> 
  <IsMediaFileObject>true</IsMediaFileObject> 
  <AlbumForFile /> 
- <MediaFileEncoding>
- <![CDATA[ 
  ]]> 
  </MediaFileEncoding>
- <Airing>
- <RecordingName>
- <![CDATA[ 
  ]]> 
  </RecordingName>
- <AiringChannelName>
- <![CDATA[ 
  ]]> 
  </AiringChannelName>
  <AiringDuration>9000000</AiringDuration> 
  <AiringStartTime>1300406400000</AiringStartTime> 
  <AiringEndTime>1300415400000</AiringEndTime> 
- <AiringRatings size="5">
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ TVPG
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ PG-13
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Nudity
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Language
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Adult Situations
  ]]> 
  </Item>
  </AiringRatings>
  <ScheduleStartTime>1300406400000</ScheduleStartTime> 
  <ScheduleEndTime>1300415400000</ScheduleEndTime> 
  <ScheduleDuration>9000000</ScheduleDuration> 
- <AiringTitle>
- <![CDATA[ Stranger Than Fiction
  ]]> 
  </AiringTitle>
  <WatchedDuration>0</WatchedDuration> 
  <WatchedStartTime>0</WatchedStartTime> 
  <WatchedEndTime>0</WatchedEndTime> 
  <LatestWatchedTime>1300406400000</LatestWatchedTime> 
  <IsWatchedCompletely>false</IsWatchedCompletely> 
  <IsManualRecord>false</IsManualRecord> 
  <TrackNumber>0</TrackNumber> 
- <RecordingQuality>
- <![CDATA[ 
  ]]> 
  </RecordingQuality>
  <IsAiringObject>true</IsAiringObject> 
- <ParentalRating>
- <![CDATA[ TVPG
  ]]> 
  </ParentalRating>
  <AiringPartNumber>1</AiringPartNumber> 
  <AiringTotalParts>1</AiringTotalParts> 
- <ScheduleRecordingRecurrence>
- <![CDATA[ 
  ]]> 
  </ScheduleRecordingRecurrence>
- <Channel>
- <ChannelName>
- <![CDATA[ 
  ]]> 
  </ChannelName>
  <ChannelNetwork /> 
- <ChannelNumber>
- <![CDATA[ 
  ]]> 
  </ChannelNumber>
  <IsChannelViewable>false</IsChannelViewable> 
  <IsChannelObject>true</IsChannelObject> 
  <ChannelLogoCount>0</ChannelLogoCount> 
  <StationID>0</StationID> 
- <ChannelDescription>
- <![CDATA[ 
  ]]> 
  </ChannelDescription>
  </Channel>
- <Show>
- <ShowCategory>
- <![CDATA[ Movie
  ]]> 
  </ShowCategory>
  <IsShowEPGDataUnique>true</IsShowEPGDataUnique> 
- <ShowSubCategory>
- <![CDATA[ Comedy
  ]]> 
  </ShowSubCategory>
- <ShowDescription>
- <![CDATA[ A mentally unstable IRS auditor (Will Ferrell) hears an author's (Emma Thompson) voice in his head and discovers that he is the ill-fated protagonist of her latest work. While a book-company employee (Queen Latifah) tries to cure the author's case of writer's block, the auditor and a professor (Dustin Hoffman) set out to find the woman and make her change her story.
  ]]> 
  </ShowDescription>
- <ShowEpisode>
- <![CDATA[ 
  ]]> 
  </ShowEpisode>
  <ShowDuration>6300000</ShowDuration> 
- <ShowExternalID>
- <![CDATA[ MV1775540000
  ]]> 
  </ShowExternalID>
- <PeopleInShow>
- <![CDATA[ Will Ferrell, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Dustin Hoffman, Queen Latifah, Emma Thompson, Tony Hale, Tom Hulce, Linda Hunt, Eli Goodman, Denise Hughes, Jason Burke, Linara Washington, Marc Forster, Zach Helm, Lindsay Doran, Joseph Drake, Nathan Kahane, Eric Kopeloff
  ]]> 
  </PeopleInShow>
- <PeopleListInShow size="18">
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Will Ferrell
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Maggie Gyllenhaal
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Dustin Hoffman
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Queen Latifah
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Emma Thompson
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Tony Hale
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Tom Hulce
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Linda Hunt
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Eli Goodman
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Denise Hughes
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Jason Burke
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Linara Washington
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Marc Forster
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Zach Helm
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Lindsay Doran
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Joseph Drake
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Nathan Kahane
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Eric Kopeloff
  ]]> 
  </Item>
  </PeopleListInShow>
- <RolesInShow size="18">
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Actor
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Director
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Writer
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Producer
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Executive Producer
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
  ]]> 
  </Item>
  </RolesInShow>
- <ShowLanguage>
- <![CDATA[ English
  ]]> 
  </ShowLanguage>
  <ShowSeasonNumber>0</ShowSeasonNumber> 
  <ShowEpisodeNumber>0</ShowEpisodeNumber> 
- <PeopleAndCharacterListInShow size="18">
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Will Ferrell
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Maggie Gyllenhaal
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Dustin Hoffman
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Queen Latifah
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Emma Thompson
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Tony Hale
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Tom Hulce
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Linda Hunt
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Eli Goodman
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Denise Hughes
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Jason Burke
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Linara Washington
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Marc Forster
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Zach Helm
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Lindsay Doran
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Joseph Drake
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Nathan Kahane
  ]]> 
  </Item>
- <Item>
- <![CDATA[ Eric Kopeloff
  ]]> 
  </Item>
  </PeopleAndCharacterListInShow>
- <ShowCategoriesString>
- <![CDATA[ Movie / Comedy / Fantasy
  ]]> 
  </<The XML page cannot be displayed 
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A name contained an invalid character. Error processing resource 'http://sagepc:8009/sagex/api?c=GetMediaFiles&1=VDBL&start...

<Guest Voice><![CDATA[]]></Guest Voice>
----------------^
/SPAN>ShowCategoriesString>
- <ShowCategoriesList size="3">
<DIV

When I run my vbscript code to get the results of this query and then parse the dom (as a MSXML2.DOMDocument), the parsing is failing to find the elements:

ShowEpisode
MediaFileID
MediaTitle

I'm thinking because there is something wrong with returned XML, or some recent windows update changed the behavior somehow.

Any thoughts or ideas what could be wrong?

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: txt 2.txt (639.3 KB, 334 views)
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit ♠ SageTV v9.0.12.504 ♠ Java 1.8.0_111
Clients: 4 x STX-HD300 ♠ 3 x STX-HD200 ♠ MacOS Placeshifter
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 AM
SageTVaholic

@HokiePerogi - 7.1.9.11 should fix your issue.

One a side note, I noticed something in the Sagex rest apis, that I didn't realize that I had implemented, which is filtering of fields in a request. Originally this filtering code existed in the JSON serializer but not in the xml serializer, so now it's there in both.

The /sagex/api help page has been updated to reflect the 'filter' parameter.

I think several people have asked if they could filter the fields being returns, and I've always replied 'no'...

A use case for this, is that when you call, GetMediaFiles, you might only want to, initially, send back the MediaFileID, and Title, and not all off the 100s of other fields. So, to do that, simply append,
Code:
filter=MediaFileID|MediaTitle
to the query and ONLY fields matching those names will be returned.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
@HokiePerogi - 7.1.9.11 should fix your issue.

One a side note, I noticed something in the Sagex rest apis, that I didn't realize that I had implemented, which is filtering of fields in a request. Originally this filtering code existed in the JSON serializer but not in the xml serializer, so now it's there in both.

The /sagex/api help page has been updated to reflect the 'filter' parameter.

I think several people have asked if they could filter the fields being returns, and I've always replied 'no'...

A use case for this, is that when you call, GetMediaFiles, you might only want to, initially, send back the MediaFileID, and Title, and not all off the 100s of other fields. So, to do that, simply append,
Code:
filter=MediaFileID|MediaTitle
to the query and ONLY fields matching those names will be returned.
Awesome. Thanks for the quick turnaround on this fix! I can confirm that my issue is resolved.

I also tried out the new filter parameter which looks very promising, especially for my needs. Using your example worked perfectly. However, for some reason, when I add ShowEpisode to the filter list, or just use ShowEpisode by itself in the filter list, I do not get my expected results:

Code:
http://sagepc:8009/sagex/api?c=GetMediaFiles&1=TVDBL&start=0&size=10&filter=ShowEpisode

results in:

<Result size="10">
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
</Result>
Is the filter functionality available on all metadata, or only select fields?

Thanks again @stuckless for the continued work on everything SageTV.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokiePerogi View Post
Awesome. Thanks for the quick turnaround on this fix! I can confirm that my issue is resolved.

I also tried out the new filter parameter which looks very promising, especially for my needs. Using your example worked perfectly. However, for some reason, when I add ShowEpisode to the filter list, or just use ShowEpisode by itself in the filter list, I do not get my expected results:

Code:
http://sagepc:8009/sagex/api?c=GetMediaFiles&1=TVDBL&start=0&size=10&filter=ShowEpisode

results in:

<Result size="10">
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
<MediaFile/>
</Result>
Is the filter functionality available on all metadata, or only select fields?

Thanks again @stuckless for the continued work on everything SageTV.
Well, that certainly looks like another bug I just enabled this functionality that existed on the JSON side for the Xml as well. I thought it "worked" but I never did extensive testing. I'll digg into the code and see why it's not working.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Ok, It's not quite a bug... but rather a symptom of how the output is created.

In the Xml the ShowEpisode is located several levels deep...

Airing Node -> Show Node -> Show Episode

So, to get the Show Episode, you'd need to ALSO include its parents in the filter as well...

Code:
&filter=MediaFileID|Airing|Show|ShowEpisode
Now, trying that, you'll see that the ShowEpisode still doesn't show. You have to use...

Code:
&filter=MediaFileID|MediaFileAiring|Show|ShowEpisode
ie, even though the Xml node is called "Airing", you need to pass the MediaFile API Name in the filter, which is called, "MediaFileAiring". You can argue that is bug, but I can't change it at this point, since there is too much code out there, that may rely on it being called, "Airing" and not "MediaFileAiring" in the xml

So, in a nutshell, the second example that I posted should work, and when you include a field and you don't see it show up in the reply, try these things...

1. Did you spell it correctly, (case matters)
2. Did you include all the Parent Node APIs as well, (ie, MediaFileAiring, Show, etc)
3. Check if the Xml node is different than the actual Api Name (ie, MediaFileAiring vs just Airing)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

Sweet! That's the ticket! I had a feeling it had something to do with the nesting.

This works great now! Perhaps I can change my approach to run my script on demand instead of nightly now that I can optimize the results coming back from the query.

Thanks again @stuckless!
Old 11-26-2012, 07:25 AM
Sage Icon

GetWindowsRegistryNames?

Hi,

I've been trying to use the Utility.GetWindowsRegistryNames (both local & remote calls) recently without success. For instance:

Code:
String list[] = Utility.GetWindowsRegistryNames("HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE", "SYSTEM");
Tried with different HIVE/KEY combination, but always gets an empty list of string.

What am I doing wrong? Please advice...

Thanks
Eddy

Last edited by routerunner; 11-26-2012 at 07:34 AM.