SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Pointing a Directv HD dish

Has anyone here installed their own hd dish for directv? I've done the standard ones and not had much problem getting a good signal. I've heard rumors the hd ones are almost impossible but I'm skeptical.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:47 PM
Sage Icon

If you're talking about the HD Slim dish, I'd rather take a beating than try that thing. It's a 5-lnb dish, and if it's not almost spot-on, you will be missing out. Also requires more 'mount' than the old 2 lnb dishes, with legs to support it's weight.. Looks HUGE sitting next to a dishnet dishpro dish..
Old 10-09-2008, 08:33 PM
Sage Aficionado

As an ex DirecTV installer, I'll give you some advice. Dont even try it unless you have a high end birddog (alot better than a sat buddy). I have installed everything from a single LNB to DirectWay internet dish and since you have to peak 5 LNBs at more than 3 birds, its not even worth it. All youll get for your trouble is alot of rain fade (with no rain).

If you do try.... good luck.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have a tripple lnb dish I installed. All 3 sats have >85 signal, however the only HD channels I'm getting right now are channels 70-85. Does the current hd broadcast require a 5-lnb dish?
Old 10-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, and they also require a special filter to be affixed to the back of the HD reciever.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Sage Advanced User

It can be done

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastian74 View Post
Has anyone here installed their own hd dish for directv? I've done the standard ones and not had much problem getting a good signal. I've heard rumors the hd ones are almost impossible but I'm skeptical.
If you are able to take an HD receiver and a portable TV out to the Dish/antenna.
I recently had to point one for a Sports Bar Multi TV installation I worked on and It was not that hard. I have a new Birddog Meter too but did not have it with me at the time. Honestly checking signals with a birdog is no more accurate than using an HD receivers built in meters, its just more convenient. Of course I have been installing commercial satellite for many years, just not much Direct TV stuff.
You might also check out the www.solidsignal.com website and they have some training videos to help you out too. I dont have time right now to find the exact link but its not hard to find.
Seasonic S-12 380w, NEC 3520a Onboard SoundStorm S/PDIF out
WD-Caviar 120GB IDE (System) Seagate (3) Baracuda 250GB sata (Pooled)
GF-7600gs Forceware 93.71 Nvida-Decoder V.4.02.223HDHR-Prime 3-Digital Fios ,HDhomeRun-Qam/FIOS
Clients:GA-MA78GM-S2H -AMD 4800- Sage TV Client-FireFly Remote - Amd x2 Turino LAPTOP - HD-100 + MVP Client DVR Verizon Fios/ B]
Old 10-09-2008, 09:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, I just read this:

The majority of DIRECTV's HD programming is now being carried on two newly installed satellites broadcasting via Ka-band, rather than the older, more widely used Ku-band. DIRECTV made this decision to acquire additional bandwidth and better meet anticipated future demand for HD programming. More than 130 channels are currently being carried on these two new Ka-band satellites, and DIRECTV is phasing out its remaining HD channels carried on the older Ku-band satellites. Therefore, it is expected that only a few HDTV channels will be available on the existing Ku-band satellites in late 2008 into 2009.

So I guess I'm hosed without a Slimline dish. They're on ebay for $65, if anyone is curious. So all the old HD customers needed hardware upgrades I guess. That must have been expensive for dtv.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:04 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vexhold View Post
Yes, and they also require a special filter to be affixed to the back of the HD reciever.
FYI, I sent you a PM. If you don't want to answer that's cool.
Old 10-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Sage Advanced User

It took two trips for the installers to get everything set up correctly at my home. The first installers replaced the 3 lnb with the newest Slimline and connected the tuners (H23's).
It wasn't until a cloudy day a week after they left that I noticed some of the HD channels were breaking up. Called up DirecTV and they sent out another installer to "fine tune" the dish. One of the sat signals were in the 50's range, after tweaking they popped into the 80's range.

Fortunately, all the equipment and service calls were free (still have the pay the monthy tuner fees ).
Good luck if you want to try to install the dish yourself!
Old 10-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Sage User

It can be done

I've installed 2 slimline dishes (the 5 lnb), I won't say it's easy, and I am very impatient but was able to get through it. My advice is build what you can on the ground and have at least one helper. The dish is heavy if you pre assemble it, you will need help to mount it, then you can send your helper inside to watch your signal strength. Also make sure your mast is level when you mount it. My first install took about 2 hours, the next time took about an hour.

It can be done, this is coming from a guy who would move his old 18" dish completely assembled because I was afraid I couldn't align it. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Old 10-10-2008, 10:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastian74 View Post

So I guess I'm hosed without a Slimline dish. They're on ebay for $65, if anyone is curious. So all the old HD customers needed hardware upgrades I guess. That must have been expensive for dtv.
You are, but it's a free upgrade from DirecTV.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhyman1 View Post
You are, but it's a free upgrade from DirecTV.
Yeah, but they're not going to install a 2nd dish for free at my cabin.

FYI, some DTV instructional videos are here
http://www.youtube.com/user/grandpasghost/

It's definately a lot more complicated than it used to be.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:27 PM
Sage Advanced User

The responses for this question are ridiculous. I found setting up the SlimLine Dish not one bit harder than the old oval.

You DO NOT need any fancy signal meters like the instructions claim, and YOU CAN use the signal meter in the receiver to tune it.

Think about it. The average satelite dish installer is not exactly an Einstein.
No need to fear the SlimLine, or let anyone intimidate you into thinking it's like controling the Mars rover or something.

Just make sure the mount is plumb, and set it to the recomended settings from the receiver, and it's practically set up already. The fear of this thing is bull.