SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 12-02-2008, 02:10 PM
Sage User

Sage system for inexperienced computer user

Hi all,

I would like your suggestions for a system for an inexperienced computer user. They currently uses the computer for surfing, web, etc and follows directions well and I think they would be able to maintain a Sage box if I set it up for them. My question to you all is what hardware do you recommend? They currently only view analog cable. Their current computer is a P4 with 512MB RAM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think all they need is a TV-tuner card installed in their computer. They could then connect computer directly to TV or purchase an extender, HD200 .

They want to go this route to avoid paying for cable providers DVR and forking over money for Tivo service.

TIA!
Old 12-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
They currently only view analog cable. Their current computer is a P4 with 512MB RAM.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think all they need is a TV-tuner card installed in their computer. They could then connect computer directly to TV or purchase an extender, HD200 .

They want to go this route to avoid paying for cable providers DVR and forking over money for Tivo service.

TIA!
I'd also add more RAM (cheap) and more hard drives if they're going to record TV but yes, a tuner and the SageTV sw is all they *need* for now. An Extender is nice (especially if they have an HDTV) but it will need a network connection to the server so they'd need a router with multiple ports (or an extra network port on the PC) if they don't already have one.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
I'd also add more RAM (cheap) and more hard drives if they're going to record TV but yes, a tuner and the SageTV sw is all they *need* for now. An Extender is nice (especially if they have an HDTV) but it will need a network connection to the server so they'd need a router with multiple ports (or an extra network port on the PC) if they don't already have one.
Right on. What tuner card would you recommend? One that would allow analog for now with the option for HD in the future. Would have to be PCI as their computer does not have any of the newer PCI slots.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Right on. What tuner card would you recommend? One that would allow analog for now with the option for HD in the future. Would have to be PCI as their computer does not have any of the newer PCI slots.
Since they need everything:
http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SB

"$149.95" Includes the dual tuner, SageTV, Remote and an IR Blaster. Not a bad deal for a starter system.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:34 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_E View Post
Since they need everything:
http://store.sagetv.com/Merchant2/me...tegory_Code=SB

"$149.95" Includes the dual tuner, SageTV, Remote and an IR Blaster. Not a bad deal for a starter system.
Awesome!

Last edited by toby; 12-02-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 PM
Sage Fanatic

Let us know how it turns out and how much they like it...and they *WILL* like it.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
Sage Icon

I'm with SME, MORE MEMORY. What are you running, XP? I would go the max because memory is cheap, nowadays. XP 32bit is 3gigs max but you should check your motherboard specs to see what it supports. (Max of the OS is sometimes not max for the motherboard and sometimes may need a bios upgrade to support the max memory).

Some people are able to run sagetv for months without a problem. I was able to run weeks but recently, I can't get by 48 hours without needing a restart. But it's because I'm trying new things and trying to get more functionality out of my box. YMMV

Make sure you set up a script or have them restart the system periodically to minimize issues.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 AM
Sage User

I'll definetly keep you all posted. They are running XP so I will max out the RAM. I let them know it would only be around $150.00 to get started with SageTV not including cost to upgrade memory, etc.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Sage User

that will only get them to watching shows on the computer. You will need to spend another $200 on the HD200 extender or look at possible video card/sound card upgrades to get audio/video off the computer and on to the TV. If they dont go with the extender then they will not be able to "mom watches tv while pops surfs email.."