SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 01-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewg View Post
Atom isn't the only game in town for low power x86 CPUs. If the Nvidia GPU is handling the video processing hardware, I'm sure plenty of VIA based CPUs would do just fine..

Drew
I am not sure VIA Trinity platform can work with Nvidia GPU? This is not exactly a Plug & Play situation here. I know for sure Nvidia did not get the license to produce Intel chipset with dual channel memory interface until recently. Not that Nvidia can't do it technically, Intel is just delaying the licensing process.

So far, Nvidia is behind because of the lack of total control of its own platfrom. Although I have not seen much news from AMD/ATI either. Apple is a big WIN for Nvidia, however it only accounts for 5-10% of overall market.

SageTV 6.6.2 / 42" Plasma Panasonic TH-42PX600A/ Intel Pentium DC E6500/ 2Gb Ram/KWorld DVB-T PC160-2T/ Logitech Harmony Remote X360/ Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT (Silent)/ Winfast DTV1000T/ WD Caviar Green 808Gb HD/ Win 7 Ultimate/ Mission Cinema 7/ Denon AVR-1800

Last edited by cychou; 01-17-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cychou View Post

Although I have not seen much news from AMD/ATI either.
Yukon is also an attractive platform for a PC based extender, especially if you want to do more than just use it as an extender.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 AM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via ICQ to Ryokurin Send a message via AIM to Ryokurin Send a message via Yahoo to Ryokurin
Quote:
Originally Posted by cychou View Post
I am not sure VIA Trinity platform can work with Nvidia GPU? This is not exactly a Plug & Play situation here. I know for sure Nvidia did not get the license to produce Intel chipset with dual channel memory interface until recently. Not that Nvidia can't do it technically, Intel is just delaying the licensing process.

So far, Nvidia is behind because of the lack of total control of its own platfrom. Although I have not seen much news from AMD/ATI either. Apple is a big WIN for Nvidia, however it only accounts for 5-10% of overall market.

Its been rumored for a long time that Nvidia wanted to buy VIA but the two could never come up with an acceptable price. They were working together to create a atom alternative, but they dissolved that relationship last November. There was a claim that they still would have some technology to show on future products at CES, but I don't think anything was ever poblically shown. Montavo Systems would have been a perfect fit for Nvidia, but that was acquired by Sun last year as well.