SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-01-2007, 04:49 PM
Sage User

Unhappy No more Nvidia DualTV?!?

Well, I finally became too frustrated with my wonky Hauppauge 150 that seems to randomly de-tune channels, and decided to upgrade to a Nvidia DualTV tuner.

I headed to the Nvidia store, clicked around for a while, then came across the following:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/dualtv_discontinued.html

Does this mean the other manufacturers will be following this path....It sucks for any other Canadians as we still have a very active analog market.

I hate digital cable up here...we can't use QAM cards, we are forced to buy digital STB's from the cable provider, and the providers typically cripple the STB's so that firewire control isn't enabled. IR blasting kinda works, but it's a pretty hokey solution....

Maybe I should buy a couple hundred DualTV's from PCAlchemy...then charge my fellow canucks an arm and a leg for them in 6 months or so
Old 03-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link in above post
NVIDIA is discontinuing NVIDIA DualTV, an analog TV tuner, in accordance with the FCC requirement that TV receiving devices sold after March 1, 2007, possess the capability of supporting digital television signals.
That statement covers most all of the analog TV tuner cards. Are all the manufacturers discontinuing their analog only cards? If so, I need to quickly replace the ones that are getting old.

Scott
Old 03-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Sage Advanced User

I may have a NVidia DualTV no longer needed in a couple weeks. Going to get a HDHomerun once I find out of anything is encrypted from my provider on HDTV.
Old 03-02-2007, 12:56 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Going to get a HDHomerun once I find out of anything is encrypted from my provider on HDTV.
I think you mean "if anything is not encrypted.". Most cable companies encrypt everything except the 4 networks. YMMV. If your cable company does not encrypt most HD you will be getting a lot of new neighbors...

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

Yeah, thats what I meant

My friend that lives in WVa can get everything over the firewire or his STB. Time Warner in his area isn't encrypting anything, so I am hoping I get that lucky also! Just have to wait 2 weeks for them to get more STB in stock, all out in my area
Old 03-02-2007, 01:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit
Yeah, thats what I meant

My friend that lives in WVa can get everything over the firewire or his STB. Time Warner in his area isn't encrypting anything, so I am hoping I get that lucky also! Just have to wait 2 weeks for them to get more STB in stock, all out in my area
In your previous post you mentioned you were getting an HDHR. Keep in mind that the channels you may be able to get over firewire (through the STB) are not necessarily the same channels that will be available via unencrypted qam (through the HDHR). They use two different types of encryption.

Aloha,
Mike
Old 03-03-2007, 11:14 AM
Sage Icon

If you can get a "Type A" PVR500, you'll be fine for Analog SD...it's a good card.

P
Old 03-03-2007, 11:29 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInMaui
Keep in mind that the channels you may be able to get over firewire (through the STB) are not necessarily the same channels that will be available via unencrypted qam (through the HDHR). They use two different types of encryption.

Aloha,
Mike
I just discovered this fact the hard way. Through firewire I can get 2 HD channels and throught the hdhomerun I can't get any at all.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:17 PM

There a new Type B has a fix tuner but you need the latest PVR 500 rev 7xx I got one 10 days ago and so far it runing really good.

Last edited by SHS; 03-04-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

nVIDIA DualTV discontinued?

I was just looking into an nVIDIA DualTV card, and according to the nVIDIA site, it has been discontinued. Here is their release explaining it...

Quote:
NVIDIA® DualTV MCE
Product Discontinuation Statement

NVIDIA has announced the discontinuation of the following NVIDIA DualTV products, effective March 1, 2007:

Product Item Number
NVIDIA DualTV MCE (NVIDIA Store) 900-10259-0003-000
NVIDIA DualTV MCE with remote (NVIDIA Store) 900-10259-0025-000
NVIDIA DualTV MCE (white box) 900-10259-0007-000

Why is NVIDIA no longer offering these products?

NVIDIA is discontinuing NVIDIA DualTV, an analog TV tuner, in accordance with the FCC requirement that TV receiving devices sold after March 1, 2007, possess the capability of supporting digital television signals.

Will NVIDIA continue to support these products?
Yes, NVIDIA will continue to provide support for the NVIDIA DualTV tuner cards.

What if I have problems with any of these products. Will NVIDIA still honor the warranty?
NVIDIA will continue to honor the NVIDIA Dual TV one-year limited warranty, which begins on date of purchase.

Can I use my NVIDIA DualTV after March 1, 2007?
Yes. Here’s how it works with various equipment and broadcast types.

* The NVIDIA DualTV is capable of directly receiving analog over-the-air TV broadcast and analog cable TV broadcast. It also supports direct input from set-top-boxes and other common video equipment.

* Users can use a set-top box to receive digital broadcast channels (off-air digital, digital cable, and digital satellite) and plug a standard definition, analog output of the set-top box into their DualTV to use the PVR (personal video recording) and other functions of the NVIDIA DualTV. This allows NVIDIA DualTV users to enjoy digital programming even though the NVIDIA DualTV cannot receive digital broadcast directly.

* Users who currently watch off-air analog TV programming can continue to use NVIDIA DualTV directly until the desired TV station stops analog broadcast. FCC expects many TV stations which have started digital broadcast will continue to carry analog signals until February 17, 2009, when all analog over-the-air broadcasting will stop. Analog TVs or discrete analog tuner devices (such as NVIDIA DualTV) receiving over-the-air programming will still work after that date via a converter/set-top box.

* Users who currently watch analog cable TV programming can continue to use NVIDIA DualTV directly until the cable service becomes fully digital. (Note: currently US cable services are both analog and digital).
My question is will new cards in the future have analog inputs, or will they be digital-only?

* merged *

HTPC: AMD ASUS M2N-E Socket AM2 Motherboard; Athlon 64 3200+ Orleans 2.0GHz; 2GB RAM; eVGA 256MB Geforce 7300LE; 1x40GB IDE HDD (OS), 2xSeagate Barracuda 320GB SATA HDD (Recordings); Antec Overture II Case; Windows XP Pro SP2; SageTV v6.5
STV: SageMC
Video sources: Currently, none. I'm using SageTV for Music, Photos, and Video playback.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Sage Advanced User

That answers my question. A couple of weeks ago I was trying my best to get one. Everyone was out of stock, two companies said they had it in stock then after a couple of days cancelled my order saying it was out of stock.

I ended up getting the Vistaview Saber2020 and with the newest beta drivers am extremely happy with it.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:15 PM
SageTVaholic

I tried to get a DualTV immediately after I saw that but PCAlchemy was out so I found some at Snapstream. I heard later that PCAlchemy had gotten some more in but they don't appear to even list it any more. My other option at the time was EBay. Snapstream appears to still have the DualTV's but I don't know how to tell if they are in stock on their sight.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:25 PM
Sage Fanatic

Wow, the March 1st mandate was a lot broader than I thought. Apparently anything with a NTSC tuner has to now also include a ATSC Tuner. So many companies have exited the VCR market and TiVo has removed the NTSC tuner from SD units.

So it seems from the TiVo example that Nvidia could just make the DualTV with cable-ready tuners and no NTSC tuners and not have to include a digital tuner.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malore View Post
Wow, the March 1st mandate was a lot broader than I thought. Apparently anything with a NTSC tuner has to now also include a ATSC Tuner. So many companies have exited the VCR market and TiVo has removed the NTSC tuner from SD units.

So it seems from the TiVo example that Nvidia could just make the DualTV with cable-ready tuners and no NTSC tuners and not have to include a digital tuner.
yeah I was wondering about that. why not just pull the two tuners off?

B